Lets talk GEC!

View attachment 1542688 View attachment 1542690 View attachment 1542689

I believe Jiki Jiki is correct that slightly larger numbers and limited cover options have made the English Whittler a tiny bit more available. The same is true for the recent Barlow and 85 runs. It was never easier to grab a TC.

Things could be started to ease up just a tiny a bit. Bill Howard’s plan to increase numbers as much as he can while limiting handle choices appears to be working. The reduced number of SFO’s is also having an affect. The knives are being spread out to more people now, because collectors are no longer tempted by a dizzying number of variations of each pattern. An individual collector can now be content with one or two variations rather than chasing maybe half a dozen or more! Yet, despite these changes, all of these recent production runs still sold out quickly. I bet they will be as highly sought after and valuable in the future as any others. Only time will tell.

It seems to me that a wedge whittler demonstrates the highest level of a cutler’s skill. I have never owned one and jumped at the chance to get an English Whittler. I can now see why this is a favored pattern of many experienced enthusiasts. The complexity is obvious even to a rookie like me; reminiscent of an automatic Swiss watch or other fine tool. The one I have could not be more well made. I would not be surprised to see it approach Grindling status in a few years. This is truly a knife for the ages. It feels special, and looks like it could have been made long ago.

We are smack in the middle of a golden era with GEC knives. Don’t sit around and take this for granted. It cannot last forever. One day these knives will be as valuable as rare vintage Case Tested and XX era knives that sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars. They may be even more valuable, because GEC makes far fewer knives than Case did.

Last edited:
It's a niche pattern and though there were no issues with the knife selling, it doesn't exactly appeal to the average knife nut.

if it had been a Grinling I think we’d see more comments like “well I’m not a Whittler, but I love this knife!”. I think the 62 Pocket Carver was the niche knife. Useful for many cutting tasks, but the diminutive blade sizes are limiting for a knife of that size. I’m glad more people were able to get one, but at the same time I want whittler patterns to be worth Bill’s consideration. We’ve been on a fairly good streak that I hope continues.

The #38's seemed to be a standard sized run. Haven't asked, but would presume 1100-1400.

Thanks Mike! I believe I’d heard that the Case Seahorse Whittler was a popular pattern for them, so I was surprised that this jazzed up version didn’t get a big reaction.

I don't think the 38 specials and the rest of the 38 family... ... are comparable.

I was tempted briefly to get one, merely because for a long time it was the only one I could find!

They are kind of like a weird toothpick- and the other end is too narrow to carry a primary blade for an end-swap, which I think would have been the better option. (Of the style of the coyote.)

In my view, a wedge whittler demonstrates the highest level of a cutler’s skill.

yessir, spot on. It’s a very clever design that nets the longest primaries and secondaries in the space of a two springer. Beautiful pictures- you do this knife justice.

I do love the Willamette Whittler. It has the longest and sexiest wharncliffe blade that has ever been put on a seahorse-style pattern.

My new Bloodwood English Whittler is good looking, but I don’t like to look at these two 38-based knives at the same time. The wharncliffe on the English Whittler looks short and dumpy when comparing the two side by side.
G63eyHa.jpg

agree Trav, but the short wharny is better for a passionated whittler.
as a collector and lover of aesthetic knives i like the longer wharncliffe blade more.

TNcqYMx.jpg

Imagine that, of all people to be carrying these two knives right?

Really at the heart of this passion we all have is the variety that the simple (sometimes complex) pocket knife has to offer. There is literally something for everyone. The 83s check zero boxes for me personally, but I am glad they are making them. I am glad because many many of you do want them and I am happy to stand a side a hope you all get the knife that you want. I think we lose sight of these simple pleasures that the "porch" is known for in the competition it has become to just buy a simple pocket knife.

Back to the picture, if one of our more mechanically inclined member happens to own both of theses knives and has a caliper to measure the thickness of the spine of the main blades. I believe they are the same thickness to the naked eye. If true, the taller blade on the EW decreases the angle of the blade grind overall. I might be crazy but I think I can feel that slight difference I some of my rough out cuts.

Back to the picture, if one of our more mechanically inclined member happens to own both of theses knives and has a caliper to measure the thickness of the spine of the main blades. I believe they are the same thickness to the naked eye. If true, the taller blade on the EW decreases the angle of the blade grind overall. I might be crazy but I think I can feel that slight difference I some of my rough out cuts.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: now you got me going!

Wgp9RBY.jpg

You're right, Jim. For the geeks, we can prove the trend by looking at the included angle (alpha) approaches zero as the width (L) approaches infinite length.

the result is (for constant bevel angle) changing the location (front to back) of the shoulder of the bevel and a change in the width of the shoulder.
(A smaller angle flat grind means smaller bevel length and smaller bevel shoulder width)
For materials that are softer and easily compressed (like tomatoes) the impact is reduced, because the material is easily pushed around the bevel in spite of steepness or bevel shoulder width.
For materials (like basswood) that are less compressible, it represents significant resistance to cuts, particularly rough cuts where the blade must compress both sides evenly.

So long story short- I believe that you can notice it, Jim. I think you'd notice it even more if you were cutting something more dense, like oak or walnut!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: now you got me going!

Wgp9RBY.jpg

You're right, Jim. For the geeks, we can prove the trend by looking at the included angle (alpha) approaches zero as the width (L) approaches infinite length.

the result is (for constant bevel angle) changing the location (front to back) of the shoulder of the bevel and a change in the width of the shoulder.
(A smaller angle flat grind means smaller bevel length and smaller bevel shoulder width)
For materials that are softer and easily compressed (like tomatoes) the impact is reduced, because the material is easily pushed around the bevel in spite of steepness or bevel shoulder width.
For materials (like basswood) that are less compressible, it represents significant resistance to cuts, particularly rough cuts where the blade must compress both sides evenly.

So long story short- I believe that you can notice it, Jim. I think you'd notice it even more if you were cutting something more dense, like oak or walnut!
Nerdtastic!

View attachment 1542688 View attachment 1542690 View attachment 1542689

I believe Jiki Jiki is correct that robust numbers and limited cover options have made the English Whittler slightly more available. The same is true for the recent Barlow and 85 runs. It was never easier to grab a TC.

Things are easing up a bit. Bill Howard’s plan to increase numbers as much as he can while limiting handle choices appears to be working. The reduced number of SFO’s is also having an affect. The knives are being spread out to more people now, because collectors are no longer tempted by a dizzying number of variations of each pattern. An individual collector can now be content with one or two variations rather than chasing maybe half a dozen or more! Yet, despite these changes, all of these recent production runs still sold out quickly. I bet they will be as highly sought after and valuable in the future as any others. Only time will tell.

It seems to me that a wedge whittler demonstrates the highest level of a cutler’s skill. I have never owned one and jumped at the chance to get an English Whittler. I can now see why this is a favored pattern of many experienced enthusiasts. The complexity is obvious even to a rookie like me; reminiscent of an automatic Swiss watch or other fine tool. The one I have could not be more well made. I would not be surprised to see it approach Grindling status in a few years. This is truly a knife for the ages. It feels special, and looks like it could have been made long ago.

We are smack in the middle of a golden era with GEC knives. Don’t sit around and take this for granted. It cannot last forever. One day these knives will be as valuable as rare vintage Case Tested and XX era knives that sell for hundreds and even thousands of dollars. They may be even more valuable, because GEC makes far fewer knives than Case did.

This years run of barlows didn’t seem that large. It’s been the only pattern this this year where I was not able to land at least one from a dealer unlike the other recent patterns. It could just be luck on my end. Did anyone ever figure out the totals for them?

Everyone else has pretty much covered it, but I’ll add my two cents anyways. :D I’ve had a handful of GEC’s with blade rap. I wouldn’t recommend messing with the kick (adding material, trying to elongate it, etc.). Sharpen out the flat spot in the edge, then either close that one gently or add a small piece of leather in the blade well (approx. where the blade was hitting) until you’ve used and sharpened it a few times, at which point it should stop hitting the spring.

I like using leather, then you don’t have to think about it. :thumbsup:

Y6zMotj.jpg
6C13E1F5-A1B8-4FBE-B8FC-FA5BF6BDE3C6.jpeg

This years run of barlows didn’t seem that large. It’s been the only pattern this this year where I was not able to land at least one from a dealer unlike the other recent patterns. It could just be luck on my end. Did anyone ever figure out the totals for them?
The TC barlow is a historic collectors pattern, so the drive for multiples also affects that pattern.

I believe Jiki Jiki is correct that robust numbers and limited cover options have made the English Whittler slightly more available. The same is true for the recent Barlow and 85 runs. It was never easier to grab a TC.

Things are easing up a bit. Bill Howard’s plan to increase numbers as much as he can while limiting handle choices appears to be working. The reduced number of SFO’s is also having an affect. The knives are being spread out to more people now, because collectors are no longer tempted by a dizzying number of variations of each pattern. An individual collector can now be content with one or two variations rather than chasing maybe half a dozen or more! Yet, despite these changes, all of these recent production runs still sold out quickly. I bet they will be as highly sought after and valuable in the future as any others. Only time will tell.

This has not been my experience - with regards to availability. I'd say, in the past 6+ months, I've struck out far more than I scored. It's not a complaint, just an observation. A 1500 piece run that gets scooped up in seconds with every release still does not convey a sense of greater availability. I expect that GEC's plan will simply take time as they recover from the pandemic effects but I still have not seen the promised results.

Part of my issue is that I am a very principled buyer. I am not a social media buyer and if I can't score with the small handful of dealers that I continue to do business with, then I am content with missing out - sometimes, I experience the kindness of other members, which is always more meaningful.

if it had been a Grinling I think we’d see more comments like “well I’m not a Whittler, but I love this knife!”. I think the 62 Pocket Carver was the niche knife. Useful for many cutting tasks, but the diminutive blade sizes are limiting for a knife of that size. I’m glad more people were able to get one, but at the same time I want whittler patterns to be worth Bill’s consideration. We’ve been on a fairly good streak that I hope continues.

I should have added the caveat, "in my opinion". I still think the English Whittler is a niche knife - just like the Grinling. And to be rather frank, I never understood the great appeal of the Grinling to begin with. Simply put, it is not my cup of tea but I am still thrilled that others are getting enjoyment out of these knives. I would never want Bill and company to only make knives that I think he should make, that is just silly. The whittler, in all of its forms, is a very traditional pattern - it makes all the sense in the world for GEC to produce them.

I don't necessarily think things are "easing up," but I do think that some dealers will list their first batch and send out notifications and then they get a second batch and those end up sitting on the website until someone discovers them. This is how I got my 38. It was up for nearly 30 minutes (a lifetime right!), so I had plenty of time to mull it over.

I long for the days when we could browse pages of knives without the pressure to pick right then.

I should have added the caveat, "in my opinion". I still think the English Whittler is a niche knife - just like the Grinling. And to be rather frank, I never understood the great appeal of the Grinling to begin with. Simply put, it is not my cup of tea but I am still thrilled that others are getting enjoyment out of these knives. I would never want Bill and company to only make knives that I think he should make, that is just silly. The whittler, in all of its forms, is a very traditional pattern - it makes all the sense in the world for GEC to produce them.

I completely understand you're not putting down the 38's, I'm just discussing this in interest of the lack of perceived buzz (good or bad).

You didn't need to add the caveat- I understand I'm discussing your opinion. I happen to think you might be a good gauge as a well informed enthusiast. Do you believe that these 38 'whittler' configured knives are niche by virtue of blade configuration? blade choice? or the name of the blade configuration? I personally would say an Urban Jack is a niche knife, but not a three bladed knife in a whittler configuration.

When I see the 38 English "Whittler", I see a medium-sized serviceable wharnecliff and two secondaries. Nothing niche except the name, which may falsely give the impression of dedicated purpose. Our resident expert wood-reducer Jiki Jiki uses a Dixie Stockman for some of his whittling.

I talk about this a lot because no one goes around saying "well I don't keep cattle, so I can't warrant getting that cattle knife" or, "I'm not a stockman, so I'm going to pass on that stockman", or "I won't get a Lady Leg because I happen to prefer Gentleman Legs", but folks see something called a whittler and based on the comments I think some of those folks convince themselves it's a knife suitable for one purpose.

Ironically niche here means, "denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population", which probably renders this discussion moot as that probably encompasses all GEC's... unless we're going two levels deep in 'niche'.

Back