Lets talk GEC!

Both Lyle and Charlie have had sfos on the 14 pattern. Lyle had the beautiful smooth white bone, 2 blade jack. And Charlie had the spear Barlows, which introduced us to “ragg bone,” and the single clip Barlows in Ebony and ivory bone.

As Lyle mentioned above, the 14 Boys Knife pattern has been dubbed Lick Creek. And each of the original run handle materials came with a different write up by Lyle about his childhood home.

As was the case with the last TC Barlow run, and with the last 77 NF Barlow run, my guess is that GEC will also make some of their own (non-SFO) knives this time around. Who knows, though?

Here you are. The little house at the bottom of the picture is where I was actually born. The house at the top of the depiction is my Papaw Fry's.

Bill Howard was inspired to create a boy's knife and somehow envisioned me as a youth as representative.I guess he liked the stories that I told at the Rendezvous , although my writing skills are not up to Bill's cutlery.
Straight from the horse's mouth... 🤠:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a fan of the #14s too. If I like a pattern, I've always chosen just one example to buy, never trying to complete a set. Nothing wrong with going for that, I'm just not that kind of a collector (and don't have the resources for it, even if I wanted to).

A #14 two-blader with sheepsfoot would complete a kind of set for me. but I'm not gonna sweat it. I have a vintage Boker USA that fits the bill.
Tz53HZR.jpg
I totally hear that, Rachel! I would need a serious career change to afford all the knives I WANT to have. One representative of each pattern sounds like a very fair plan, if only I had a modicum of self control…

Last edited:
Here you are. The little house at the bottom of the picture is where I was actually born. The house at the top of the depiction is my Papaw Fry's.

Bill Howard was inspired to create a boy's knife and somehow envisioned me as a youth as representative.I guess he liked the stories that I told at the Rendezvous , although my writing skills are not up to Bill's cutlery.

Really neat history on your childhood and the origins of this knife. Stiltner, WV is only a bit more than an couple hours from where I am in Parkersburg. Thank you for sharing. I was really, really hoping to sit this one out because of the beating my wallet has taken from the 88's but I might have to jump into this one, too.

The "Lick Creek" SFOs are #14s. But historically, most of the TC Barlows have been the #15 pattern.
There are a fair amount of 14 TCs out there, I don’t own one, a bit too small for my taste, so I had to borrow and crop a photo. They are easy to ID as the “C” in in the font used on 14s swells way out in middle unlike what you see on a 15 TC.6BE2D25A-31BD-4E3F-9727-C12188D0CECC.jpeg

There are a fair amount of 14 TCs out there...
Oh, for sure. I wasn't suggesting that #14 TCs are rare. Just that I believe comparatively, more TCs have been made on #15 frame over time. But I don't have those numbers, and I'd be curious to hear if someone does.

Back