Lets talk GEC!

Thank you for all the specs!!

To clarify (I should’ve done this to start, sorry!), I’m looking for the widest in the closed position - which likely isn’t listed anywhere and would require someone to measure.

Note: I can easily do this when I get the knife of course, but was curious as I am looking at slips while I’m waiting.

View attachment 1812757
1.625"
or
1 5/8"

One thing, the 15 dies have been used to strike 1000s more times .
That may be true but has no bearing here. I have 15 TCs from 2013 thru the 2021 models (i.e., fresh vs well used dies) and they all have the same style “C” which differs from the 14 TCs. Post just bolsters of any of your 14 TCs mixed with some 15 TCs and I’ll pick them out. Not being disrespectful Lyle but it is pretty obvious. I don’t own any 14 TCs so had to borrow photo from interweb. If you can’t tell then fine, no skin off my nose but if folks see a photo of TC alone and wonder which it is, look at the “C” … 14s with fat apex in “C” followed by a couple of my 15s without the fat apex….if it helps just focus on part of “C” to left of the “T”D4E06EC8-F1FE-4553-9C94-B24E31340C87.jpeg
611E3BE0-474B-4E02-980E-FD968477A9C8.jpeg

I thought I read somewhere on here that the Barlow bolsters were cast with the TC in them, rather than stamped, and that the black stuff inside was a sign of that.

Interesting, so if that is the case, then on the 2021 releases they got in there more aggressively with the buffing wheel and polished out the black. I’m not after a 14 but I would hope that they keep the black in the monogram, I think it looks better.9FC6A3F8-ABFF-4349-9963-8937312C593D.jpeg

Interesting, so if that is the case, then on the 2021 releases they got in there more aggressively with the buffing wheel and polished out the black. I’m not after a 14 but I would hope that they keep the black in the monogram, I think it looks better.View attachment 1813493
I agree. I added some “faux scale” to mine.
rXLAznA.jpg

Curious how I will feel about these 14's. I've let go of all mine from the previous run. Burlap, Oak shield, snakewood etc. Times have changed a little for me though, might enjoy a smaller blade for garden use.

That may be true but has no bearing here. I have 15 TCs from 2013 thru the 2021 models (i.e., fresh vs well used dies) and they all have the same style “C” which differs from the 14 TCs. Post just bolsters of any of your 14 TCs mixed with some 15 TCs and I’ll pick them out. Not being disrespectful Lyle but it is pretty obvious. I don’t own any 14 TCs so had to borrow photo from interweb. If you can’t tell then fine, no skin off my nose but if folks see a photo of TC alone and wonder which it is, look at the “C” … 14s with fat apex in “C” followed by a couple of my 15s without the fat apex….if it helps just focus on part of “C” to left of the “T”View attachment 1813203
View attachment 1813209
No problem, I can see the difference. I was entertaining an opinion as to why.

I enjoy the smaller knives, because I can actually carry them more often. Looking forward to the 14s … and I’m a golfer … Ben Hogan sounds interesting!

Last edited:
I enjoy the smaller knives, because I can actually carry them more often. Looking forward to the 14s … and I’m a golfer … Ben Hogan sounds interesting!

I don't believe this is the golfer.

Not the golfer. Rob (the ApostleP) has an amazing video with this knife’s history on his YouTube channel in the Traditional Knife Anthology Series - it goes ver in depth with the history of Ben Hogan as well.

Not the golfer. Rob (the ApostleP) has an amazing video with this knife’s history on his YouTube channel in the Traditional Knife Anthology Series - it goes ver in depth with the history of Ben Hogan as well.
Oh wow, had no idea, thanks for the heads up. I will check out the video for sure. Thx!

So I thought that GEC was done with SFOs. There have been quite a few SFOs released since then. Has GEC changed their mind on this?

So I thought that GEC was done with SFOs. There have been quite a few SFOs released since then. Has GEC changed their mind on this?
it would appear so.... but I'm not a GEC "insider"....

was this a rhetorical question? 😂

Back