1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Posting a picture of Oily Creek Bone for reference.

NF #77, keyhole shield, satin sheepfoot, long pull, end cap, very short run, Oily Creek.

[​IMG]

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  2. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    We're finishing up the details but I can tell you for sure it will have the oak leaf shield we've used on our last SFOs.

3. Shock_

Shock_ Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2015
    That's great news! Thanks for letting us know. I really like the 54 pattern and love the shield you use. I sure am hoping to get a couple of your guys sfo.

4. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks Eric,

If possible, if you could let us know the color of the Appaloosa bone that would be great.

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm a weak man. I'm in on the jigged wood. It sounds interesting. And I've wanted a 54 for a long time.

Is there any news on possible 440C runs this year? I'd really like to see some 440C beer scouts this year, preferably with clip or spear blade this time around. I'm starting to get tired of all the carbon steel sheepsfoots (sheepsfeet?)?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. heefageLA

heefageLA Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2015

Yep. I would definitely buy a Beer Scout if it were stainless. :thumbup:

7. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I think that GEC gets too caught up in using carbon steel. I love carbon steel, and often prefer it. But it doesn't mean that I always want carbon steel. Once summer rolls around, and the weather gets hot and humid, I'd rather have stainless in my pocket. Especially if I'm out camping for a week. And GEC has an excellent 440C heat treatment, so it's not like I'm compromising on performance. I'm probably upgrading in performance.

8. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I've gone back and forth on the #54 before (some of them sat on dealers shelves for a while last time, affording a somewhat rare opportunity to consider whether or not to purchase a certain GEC). It's a good looking knife, I just worry about the size of the thing. I am a little disappointed not to Ebony on this run, I thought that one looked particularly nice on the previous run. I'll probably lean towards the cougar clawed bone or KSF's muslin Micarta SFO.

9. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the wood jigged will have a beaver shield. It's a bit hard to pick when I don't know what type of wood they will be using. Wenge would be nice...

10. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Barrett, I have an older 54 in brimstone bone with 3 full size blades, a clip, pen and spey. It is big and heavy. A solid knife. I love the big clip and have even considered modifying the other blades. One thing to consider with a larger knife is you can pretty much eliminate the need for multiple carries. Even with its size it definitely has GEC's knack for a top notch pocket knife. It's a keeper.

11. AusLoX

AusLoX

Jan 23, 2015

[​IMG]

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  12. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Lol Auslox!

13. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

14. AusLoX

AusLoX

Jan 23, 2015
    Lol!!!

15. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Although I really like 1095, I would like to see a little more stainless from GEC. I would also love to see a Beer Scout with a different main blade (clip, spear, maybe even a spey, which I like for slicing food like sausages, so it would make sense in a Beer Scout to me). Stainless would make sense in a Beer Scout, but if it were being made with a different blade, I'd want 1095, too.

:D :D

I would imagine that a three blade #54 would be pretty heavy! :eek:

16. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't have a whole lot of use for the bottle opener, but it doesn't hurt and I like the screwdriver. I would be way more interested if they did them in spear (or clip) blades and 440c. I really like GEC Stainless. I should have gotten one of the clip point caplifters at the Rendezvous.

I agree. I think it's mostly a tradition thing. I certainly like 1095 a lot, mine almost never rust and perform well, but I like 440c from GEC also.

Posted using TapaTalk

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Now you've gone too far, sir!! Pistols at dawn; I'll defend to the death that lady's honor! :D

I agree completely with Paul on this! :thumbup: I couldn't believe how quickly the tone of the discussion changed; that Will became a target was incomprehensible to me. Will certainly has his opinions, and I don't agree with all of them, but I respect him so much for his consistency: if you read his posts for very long, you know exactly where he stands on a large number of issues. :thumbup:

Mike, I was a few days behind on this thread, and had just run into the "turn on Will" part and was settling in for another of the thankfully rare, irrational, but nonetheless weirdly entertaining free-for-alls when your post totally derailed my thought processes as I spent at least 5 MINUTES trying to figure out where "She sounds hideous" came from! When I finally got it, I laughed for another couple of minutes! :D:thumbup::D

I went on record a year ago as being completely certain that the #14 announcement was an April Fool's prank! That certainly cemented my reputation as a knowledgeable expert with my finger on the pulse of GEC. :eek::eek:

- GT

18. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    That is FUNNY!!! I like it!!! John

19. WillieD

WillieD

Jan 22, 2004
    In regards to the 48 run, anyone have any idea as to the what the Northfield jigged bone will be on the single blades? As to the 54 run, this is the first I have heard of oily creek bone. I looked around a bit. It kinda looks like the same coloration as the cougar claw 74 run. I notice that they are doing some cougar claw 54s too. Wonder if its the same dying process???

20. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Oily creek bone is nice looking stuff. Although the bone on the oily creek bone 14's was very uneven in thickness. I don't know why, but I hope it doesnt happen on the 54s.