Lets talk GEC!

Somehow the "ancient" looks out of place perched on two modern Zip-Lock bags:rolleyes:

A modern knife with old school aesthetics on top of modern receptacles for an age old practice, makes sense to me!

The mint is currently in our dehydrator. Easier than hanging each stalk in the sun!

I was talking to a dealer (won't name him now) who said GEC was considering not pinning their shields anymore. Something about time and money much like stopping inletting shields in stag. Will someone who goes to the GEC Rendezvous as Bill Howard about this.

I can't imagine that'd be the case. I will remark on how much I appreciate that the shields ARE pinned again this year, as I have before during the tour.

I will be at the Rendezvous this year and I’ll be sure to bring it up. I know there are some people over there that see what’s going on the forums at times. Not pinning shields would be a huge mistake and a step in the wrong direction.

Mr. Howard has always seemed to desire to “do things the way they used to be” not pinning shields doesn’t seem to fit that mantra.

I very much agree with your last statement. I can't see that kind of corner cutting flying with the Howards at GEC.

It would be easy enough to leave shields off the Tidioute branded knives, while continuing to pin shields on the Northfield line, further differentiating the two brands.

IF anything, this would be alright with me. I actually often prefer the cleaner simpler look of a shieldless knife, especially along with the Tidioute finishing.

Still, I do like some of the Tidioute shields. Definitely wouldn't want all Northfield knives to be shieldless.

Unpinned shields on any GEC = :eek::thumbsdown::(

The dealer misunderstood something. This is not the case at all.

Good to hear.

So I'm fairly new to GEC, only running into them about 6 months ago when I started reading this forum. What I really am lusting after is the 85. I love all of them and hate that I wasn't involved here and aware of them when they were last made (a couple years ago?). Any ideas when they might get back to this pattern? Do they run cyclically? Thanks all

I was pining for "something bigger" ... and we got the Whaler. No, no, no. Now I'm pining for "something longer" ... and we'll probably get a melon knife. :( And yes, the 43 is a nice size, but it's only got the one blade. I'm hoping for another run of 98s ... a whittler or a cattle knife would work for me. A large sowbelly would be nice. Or another saddle trapper.

I have a curiosity type question (possible future GEC Trivia question).
Does anyone know what the last knife model / pattern was that GEC hand wrote the tube cap label?
Thanks

I have a curiosity type question (possible future GEC Trivia question).
Does anyone know what the last knife model / pattern was that GEC hand wrote the tube cap label?
Thanks

I'm not for sure, but I know they did on the last collector knives 77 Barlow SFO.

I was talking to a dealer (won't name him now) who said GEC was considering not pinning their shields anymore. Something about time and money much like stopping inletting shields in stag. Will someone who goes to the GEC Rendezvous as Bill Howard about this.

The dealer misunderstood something. This is not the case at all.

Thanks, Mike ... that's good to hear :thumbsup:

I was pining for "something bigger" ... and we got the Whaler. No, no, no. Now I'm pining for "something longer" ... and we'll probably get a melon knife. :( And yes, the 43 is a nice size, but it's only got the one blade. I'm hoping for another run of 98s ... a whittler or a cattle knife would work for me. A large sowbelly would be nice. Or another saddle trapper.
I would love to see another run of The Gappeto Whittler myself :)

I would love to see another run of The Gappeto Whittler myself :)

I like whittlers. Courthouse or workhorse for me if another Texas whittler isn't in the cards. It would be really fun if they took the Chapman pruner and turned it into a whittler by adding a coping blade.

How about a Sowbelly pattern. Don’t think they tried one of those yet.
That's the ticket, Tim!! ;):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Sowbelly Fever - Catch It!! :thumbsup::D

3-1/2" Trapper please... :cool:
Inspired suggestion, John!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::) (I might be the only one who'd like the knife with spey and wharncliffe blades. :rolleyes:)

And I'm obligated to suggest CANOE! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup::cool:
ETA: Ooops, B B.F.U beat me to the canoe idea ++++

- GT

Funny, lots of folks here want a large knife next, I’m waiting for #9’s to be run again! Hopefully in bocote again or something similar.
I like em all lol I'd love to see a court house whittler above anything else. :D

Back