Lets talk GEC!

is it coincidence quality issues have increased since Queen closed?
I haven't purchased enough of the recent production knives to form an opinion as to whether quality has changed for the better or worse. I can tell you the #15 I just received is as good or better than any of the 100+ in my collection.

@btb01 based on my own observations and some comments I have seen, I think GEC may be overtightening the bolsters in an effort to reduce blade play. This slows the blade action. The recent whalers may have this issue.

I generally prefer a snappy knife to one that sticks.

Agreed. The pivot is peened a bit too tight. The pulls are fine.

A new #48 at home ( stag ) :

42098545224_0d48fdde9a_c.jpg

Â

I believe it's intentional to differentiate it

Isn't the tang stamp enough to differentiate it? It's honestly not a big deal at all...I'm was very thankful that I was able to get my hands on at least one let alone 2 but, to me, it really looks like it's a mistake. What I really love about these clip points is that the flat grind gets the blade "paper-thin" behind the edge! Can't wait to peel my first apple with it during lunch today ;)

I ended up buying one in red linen and one in black linen to see which one I liked better and was initially planning to sell the other one. Being that clip point 15's are so hard to come by, I think I'll just store the other one away for now...maybe someone in the family will get a nice gift in the future. But probably NOT!

Regarding the action...I didn't flush it out or add any oil and it's still great after a day of playing with it. Can't say that about most of my other slip joints...great job GEC!

I like it, but if I pick up one of the M&G versions, it'll probably be the jigged bone.

I've found the comments on the "perfect action" of this run of #15's interesting. I've received a jigged bone and Ebony from the "standard" single-spear run so far, and both are what I would call "mushy" or "sluggish" in at least in one part of the action. My jigged bone is sluggish going from half-stop to closed, and the Ebony is the same going from half-stop to open. I'm hoping a good flush and oiling will take care of it, but it's definitely a new experience for me with GEC. Having handled maybe 80 or so GEC knives since I started buying them a few years ago, these are the first I've had where you could get the blade to stay in either of these positions. :confused:

coV8Nf9.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality photo, just snapped one real quick to show what I'm talking about.)
@btb01 based on my own observations and some comments I have seen, I think GEC may be overtightening the bolsters in an effort to reduce blade play. This slows the blade action. The recent whalers may have this issue.

I generally prefer a snappy knife to one that sticks.

The Ebony I have is nice an snappy.
Going along with what Camillus stated, this is one reason makers use brass liners instead of steel. The friction coefficient is less with brass and may make the difference between a sticky knife and a snappy one.

Going along with what Camillus stated, this is one reason makers use brass liners instead of steel. The friction coefficient is less with brass and may make the difference between a sticky knife and a snappy one.
Totally agree, and they also do not oxidize like steel on steel. These points are not talked about much. Instead, we talk about how brass may "smell"?:confused:lol

Brass? That cat won't jump ;) I find all the all steel knives I own have excellent W&T snap. If anything, I would think brass' softness makes for a sticky opener, especially if verdigris gets involved:D;)

Back