Lets talk GEC!

Mike at CK changed the description on the Tidioute early reserve to no eazy open and he would know. It turns out you were spot on.
Disappointed they aren't easy open although I'm on reserve for the cherry wood and the beaver shield would be cutting it close to the notch given its size. Truthfully I'm really hoping one of the Northfields I'm on standby for will go through and all will be good :D.

Mike at CK changed the description on the Tidioute early reserve to no eazy open and he would know. It turns out you were spot on.
Ah good catch. Although I am not really into the #85 I know a lot of folks are going to be disappointed if it doesn't come with ez open. Having said that, I think it is more of an aesthetic preference...doesn't seem like it would be a problem to pinch that huge teardrop open even without the notch.

Ah good catch. Although I am not really into the #85 I know a lot of folks are going to be disappointed if it doesn't come with ez open. Having said that, I think it is more of an aesthetic preference...doesn't seem like it would be a problem to pinch that huge teardrop open even without the notch.
I think there will be some folks who are disappointed, but I think there will be as many who are happy about this development. Many collectors who've seen a lot of #85s go through their hands begin to really covet the non-EO versions. I would really love to see a full SFO run of Northfields that have no EZ-notch. Not sure if that will ever happen, but this (coupled with the interesting sheild choices) is another reason to look foward to the Tidioute 85s as much as the Northfields. I think GEC was smart in what they did with the Tidioutes this run. Their choices will make them nearly as sought-after (by collectors and users alike) as the Northfields.

Last edited:
The Beaver #85 is looking really good, actually! :)
wMeDqtF.jpg

Dear GEC,
I can appreciate that handwriting all the cap stickers is time intensive. I don't blame you for printing all the stickers to save time and money. But could you PLEASE stop using all those annoying font colors and just stick to a basic black. I think it would look a lot more professional and classy :D

Sincerely,
JohnDF

Dear GEC,
I can appreciate that handwriting all the cap stickers is time intensive. I don't blame you for printing all the stickers to save time and money. But could you PLEASE stop using all those annoying font colors and just stick to a basic black. I think it would look a lot more professional and classy :D

Sincerely,
JohnDF

Dear JohnDF,

It is a grand day indeed if that is your largest concern with our current products. But there is a function to the colors as it helps our staff and dealers to quickly identify and sort the actual contents of the tube without having to stop and read each one. The colors of ink are generally the color of the slabs. "Classy" sounds good, but we also take "Function" into consideration ;)

Sincerely,
GEC Proxy

Dear JohnDF,

It is a grand day indeed if that is your largest concern with our current products. But there is a function to the colors as it helps our staff and dealers to quickly identify and sort the actual contents of the tube without having to stop and read each one. The colors of ink are generally the color of the slabs. "Classy" sounds good, but we also take "Function" into consideration ;)

Sincerely,
GEC Proxy
I'm glad there are practical applications to the colored font. Really, I posted it in jest as I usually just toss the tubes anyways (I know, blasphemy) :D

Personally, I say put them in a box like everyone else. It would simplify my vault storage tremendously. But I've been griping about that for 11 years and haven't made much headway.
I'd be fine with a simple box too. I use the knife, not the tube.

I'm glad there are practical applications to the colored font. Really, I posted it in jest as I usually just toss the tubes anyways (I know, blasphemy) :D

I figured it was in jest; I have learned to be at least 83% sure these days before replying as to not offend someone not prepared for humor.

You could probably recoup a dollar or two per tube if you kept them and posted on the trade forum from time to time. There are always folks looking for tubes. Matter of fact, if you build up 15-20 of them I will give you a dollar/per for them if it is worth your time.

I figured it was in jest; I have learned to be at least 83% sure these days before replying as to not offend someone not prepared for humor.

You could probably recoup a dollar or two per tube if you kept them and posted on the trade forum from time to time. There are always folks looking for tubes. Matter of fact, if you build up 15-20 of them I will give you a dollar/per for them if it is worth your time.
I toss the knives and keep the tube. I only collect tubes and pins.

Multi colored printing on the tube cap labels is a great idea for GEC employees and dealers until they get to the first color blind GEC employee or dealer.

I posted a thread several years ago (can't find it) suggesting that GEC use boxes instead of tubes. Good grief - you'd a thought I dropped a hornet's nest in the forum. Tubes were definitely highly regarded at that time. Personally, I wish GEC would go to boxes.

Back