Lets talk GEC!

No Country for EZ-Open Notches :D

I think it's a good thing the latest run are being left intact for a change ;) The knife feels better in the hand without that notch. My ring finger was nearly sliced through&severed from underneath 37 years ago and the scar still feels uncomfortable at the tip, hence my scepticism about notches, they look rather crude too in my opinion. There's plenty of blade to get hold of with this knife and I always wonder about people who wax on about a knife being pinchable....I suspect they're closet Moderns who pine for a thumb stud or weakly sprung liner lock :eek::eek::D:Do_O

Un-mutilated, the Teardrop is a svelte pattern (yes, I know that long, long ago notches were part of 'tradition' and they featured on teardrops too - but that doesn't alway make it right :rolleyes::D).

SeZP8eN.jpg

Tubes presentation wise are great but functionally offer nothing a box doesn't
Not true at all. The tube offers a much greater protection for the knife in transit.
For me, it's not unusual for the mailman to bring me a smashed up box, but I have never had a tube show up with any kind of significant damage.
I do agree that presentation-wise, they are great as well. I imagine those that do a lot of 2nd hand buying and selling like the added protection they offer too.

Not true at all. The tube offers a much greater protection for the knife in transit.
For me, it's not unusual for the mailman to bring me a smashed up box, but I have never had a tube show up with any kind of significant damage.
I do agree that presentation-wise, they are great as well. I imagine those that do a lot of 2nd hand buying and selling like the added protection they offer too.
Spot on Taylor. Unfortunately, not every dealer or seller ships in boxes (a big THANK YOU to those who do). While the tubes are not impervious to the rigors of shipping, they are substantially more sturdy than most knife boxes.

If GEC should decide to go the box route, it would certainly not be a deal breaker. I would hope though that they'd choose a sturdy box (like the older Queen ones), and more importantly continue to use the unique label artwork for many of their models.

Multi colored printing on the tube cap labels is a great idea for GEC employees and dealers until they get to the first color blind GEC employee or dealer.

I am comfortable with the fact that it was little benefit or detriment to any color blind employee or dealer that may or may not exist.

The boxes that Canal Street Cutlery used for our yearly knives were substantial and attractive. I'm not sure what the price difference would be. The labels/art work were intricate and attractive. If I were to guess, I'd say GEC went with tubes to stand out from the crowd. The tubes are probably more expensive to ship for each dealer due to the shape.

I don't get that; a box costs within a dime of a padded envelope and costs the same to ship 1st class.
I’m wondering if it is faster and easier for them to pack and get them out the door on a highly sought after SFO drop. That’s the only thing I could come up with as I thought the same as you.

I’m wondering if it is faster and easier for them to pack and get them out the door on a highly sought after SFO drop. That’s the only thing I could come up with as I thought the same as you.

I ship slips in padded envelopes and knives in boxes - it is the difference between 2 1/2 minutes for a padded envelope and possibly 3 1/2 minutes in a box. And the folks that do enough for it to matter, probably have a more streamlined system than I do.

I ship slips in padded envelopes and knives in boxes - it is the difference between 2 1/2 minutes for a padded envelope and possibly 3 1/2 minutes in a box. And the folks that do enough for it to matter, probably have a more streamlined system than I do.
But I am with the consesus and I appreciate a box and the cello wrap is an added assurance that Nobody else does.

Mr. Latham, The pics from GEC so far for the #85 Tidioute appear to show brass liners. You state Nickel Silver liners and bolsters. Confusion reigns! Joseph

No Country for EZ-Open Notches :D

I think it's a good thing the latest run are being left intact for a change ;) The knife feels better in the hand without that notch. My ring finger was nearly sliced through&severed from underneath 37 years ago and the scar still feels uncomfortable at the tip, hence my scepticism about notches, they look rather crude too in my opinion. There's plenty of blade to get hold of with this knife and I always wonder about people who wax on about a knife being pinchable....I suspect they're closet Moderns who pine for a thumb stud or weakly sprung liner lock :eek::eek::D:Do_O

Un-mutilated, the Teardrop is a svelte pattern (yes, I know that long, long ago notches were part of 'tradition' and they featured on teardrops too - but that doesn't alway make it right :rolleyes::D).

SeZP8eN.jpg

I have no qualms about the notch... "don't befront me none" either way. But the "closet Moderns..." blip is hilarious, Will.

As for shipping, I have received lots of knives in envelopes, and shipped lots of them in the Priority envelopes, until I saw that post from Charlie showcasing the mangled barlow earlier this year. I ship strictly in boxes now, although I do think that the boxes can be mangled, too. As for GEC's tubes, they are a substantial cardboard and I don't think a box (like the ones Case uses and Queen used) actually offer more protection, probably less.

The tubes are genius-basically they're a pimped up toilet roll core:D Yes they are stronger than boxes, CASE have a flimsy carton, others not much better and they come in 2 pieces so the roll is likely cheaper to make. Also, you can change labelling ad infinitum.:thumbsup: Surprised nobody has made or photoshopped, picture of a revolver with GEC tubes in it or a machine-gun belt:cool: now that's novel storage :D How about honey-comb hexagons instead? They're really strong:D

Because I live in the Old World...(in lots of senses;)) shipping and postal matters are important. USPS boxes cost a lot more to send with say 1 small pocket knife than a decent padded envelope 1st Class Intl. I've had boxes with one knife in them literally rattling around due to lack of padding :eek: boxes take longer and Customs are always interested in them, another 7 days + delay. Also, padded envelopes are delivered to the door, boxes are notification then you have to go to the depot to get them. OK I realize this is not significant to most of you, but tubes really do go well in the EXCELLENT quality padded envelopes you have in the US. The ones here are a sick joke, strength of baking paper,rip!:poop:

Yes it does, Joseph.

Mr. Latham, I certainly would never denigrate the use of Nickel Silver liners in a folder. It is my very favorite metal! I love it. Nickel Silver pins would be so much better than steel.
However, I perhaps don’t get out enough. I have never seen a folder with Nickel Silver liners. Has GEC ever used them? Respectfully, Joseph

As for shipping, I have received lots of knives in envelopes, and shipped lots of them in the Priority envelopes, until I saw that post from Charlie showcasing the mangled barlow earlier this year. I ship strictly in boxes now, although I do think that the boxes can be mangled, too. As for GEC's tubes, they are a substantial cardboard and I don't think a box (like the ones Case uses and Queen used) actually offer more protection, probably less.
I will admit that a tube shape is structurally more sound than a box shape however the real advantage and difference the tube offers compared to many boxes knives are sold in is with the quality and thickness of the materials used.

Mr. Latham, I certainly would never denigrate the use of Nickel Silver liners in a folder. It is my very favorite metal! I love it. Nickel Silver pins would be so much better than steel.
However, I perhaps don’t get out enough. I have never seen a folder with Nickel Silver liners. Has GEC ever used them? Respectfully, Joseph

We do NS liners all the time. Also, I believe pin stock is generally NS.

Back