Lets talk GEC!

Hmm I wonder if the Forum knife polls would have been different if this knowledge was available earlier?

Hmm I wonder if the Forum knife polls would have been different if this knowledge was available earlier?

It sorta was. We did hear that GEC was doing a lambsfoot but that it was not an option for the forum knife. Viable options for the forum knife were laid out at day one with bling TBD. That's too bad considering all the early interest in a Sheffield lambsfoot for the forum knife, but there are considerations that we're not privy to ...

It sorta was. We did hear that GEC was doing a lambsfoot but that it was not an option for the forum knife. Viable options for the forum knife were laid out at day one with bling TBD. That's too bad considering all the early interest in a Sheffield lambsfoot for the forum knife, but there are considerations that we're not privy to ...
I was referring to a 3.75 inch African blackwood sheepsfoot jack, vs a 3.75 inch African blackwood lambsfoot sway back jack. Fairly close to the same knife. All though one will be readily available and one will not.

Don't like my chances of landing the 93 SFO blackwood. Hope there is a wood Northfield with rat tail bolsters.

View attachment 1110149 View attachment 1110148

Jiki Jiki " I was referring to a 3.75 inch African blackwood sheepsfoot jack, vs a 3.75 inch African blackwood lambsfoot sway back jack. Fairly close to the same knife...."

I tried to flush out this information at the time but was quickly thrown to the curb in the heat of that horrific Forum Knife debate. I knew that Charlie was going to have several SFO’s this year, and I knew that African Blackwood played heavily into his plans. Of course, I did not know everything that Charlie, GEC, and others more in the know were aware of. I only stated what I had gathered and was trying to piece it together. In fact, what I had heard turned out to be extremely close to the reality we are now seeing, two very similar knives. Additionally, we still do not yet know the full extent of pattern 86 options and SFO's.

I learned the hard way to never participate in that feeding frenzy again. In fact, I believe we should come up with a better way of selecting the Forum Knife. That process rips away the good neighbor fabric of the Porch and has made me less inclined to participate.

In any event, African Blackwood is amazing. I really do not mind having two similar knives in that cover. And, as has been mentioned, not everyone will be able to get one of Charlie’s SFO Knives.

Travman Travman , we were just pointing out that they will be similar, not identical.

Last edited:
The 2019 Forum knife and this lambsfoot will not be the same knife. First of all the handle shape is different. The swayback handle feels completely different in the hand than the straight framed knives. The saber grind sheepsfoot will be much more heavy duty than the dainty lambsfoot.

Jiki Jiki ............
I learned the hard way to never participate in that feeding frenzy again. In fact, I believe we should come up with a better way of selecting the Forum Knife. That process rips away the good neighbor fabric of the Porch and has made me less inclined to participate.
I wouldn't go losing any sleep over it, Greg. :) It has always been the same. When it's over, we pick up the pieces and move on. The porch will rise again, as it does every year. It helps me realize that our good neighbor fabric is quite strong and resilient and refuses to be ripped away, even when tugged at.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1110149 View attachment 1110148

Jiki Jiki " I was referring to a 3.75 inch African blackwood sheepsfoot jack, vs a 3.75 inch African blackwood lambsfoot sway back jack. Fairly close to the same knife...."

I tried to flush out this information at the time but was quickly thrown to the curb in the heat of that horrific Forum Knife debate. I knew that Charlie was going to have several SFO’s this year, and I knew that African Blackwood played heavily into his plans. Of course, I did not know everything that Charlie, GEC, and others more in the know were aware of. I only stated what I had gathered and was trying to piece it together. In fact, what I had heard turned out to be extremely close to the reality we are now seeing, two very similar knives. Additionally, we still do not yet know the full extent of pattern 86 options and SFO's.

In any event, African Blackwood is amazing. I really do not mind having two similar knives in that cover. And, as has been mentioned, not everyone will be able to get one of Charlie’s SFO Knives.

Travman Travman , we were just pointing out that they will be similar, not identical.
I just find human behavior interesting to watch, and wonder if this was known if the polls would have been different. It was not so we will never know. It's ok.

Travman don't be that guy. We know the differences in the knives. However if I left those to knives on the counter my wife would not and she would roll her eyes at my when I tried to explain the differences. :rolleyes:

Some will be lucky enough to get Charlie's knife most will not, another reason it doesn't matter.

Back