Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Good thread. I'ma post up a couple of photos you all might enjoy.

Picture813-1.jpg

Picture952.jpg

Picture.jpg

I don't really have any pictures of axe work in progress. I try not to let myself do other things while chopping or felling trees just because I'm a risky enough person without distractions!
Nice pics mang!
Yes +1 on the saw horse.
Is that an old radio flyer in the shed like those.

Nice pics mang!
Yes +1 on the saw horse.
Is that an old radio flyer in the shed like those.

I think its a knock off but I've had it since I was a little fella. We use it in lieu of a wheel barrow sometimes =P

A little trailwork this week (finally). Got to use my new True Temper Flint Edge Connecticut. Worked real nice. Not much chopping to do but did find one.

I can say this much... I never got this much satisfaction from using a chainsaw.

More chopping this weekend. Tried out my R. King Tool Steel (early Collins) axe. Did well but not as good as the True Temper Flint Edge. This hemlock was 15" at the widest point.

Peg - it did.

New project from my neighbor. Unknown maker - Kentucky pattern axe. 3 marked on it. Got it yesterday, cleaned up, sharpened, hung it and test drove it.

I may have to borrow this for a while.

I like this. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Nicely done.

Ill get the old Stihl out, and show you how to cut some wood! LOL Just kidding.

I like the idea of limbing everything under 8 inches or so to get after it a little more. I have been trying to use my axes more when doing firewood, the saw just makes everything so much faster and easier - can you imagine getting all your firewood only with axes and maybe a crosscut saw? Man we are lucky and spoiled now.....

a little off topic as per the OP, but this is how i use a stihl
of course it usually gets split after, i just dont have pics of that aspect
mike1.jpg

and after
DSCF6254.jpg

Got my LaClair Shrew Hawk back out today to try out my quickie homemade handle. It wasn't perfect but it made short work of this tree that had been partially blocking the trail...

20120519ac0004.jpg

Yes - I see the poison ivy. :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Last edited:
Mike, that's bad ass. Be careful up there, Man!

I watched an arborist work last summer. I can safely say I would not want to do that, crazy stuff. Had a lot of fun limbing and "reducing" the downed sections of the crown though. I also file some crosscut saws for an arborist. those climbers are an interesting bunch for sure.

Hey rplarson, in this last picture, I was wondering what you use that hook for stuck in the log?? It looks like the hay hooks that I use, but it looks sharpened? It might be an obvious answer, but if it's a hay hook, and you have found a different use for them, I'd love to know. .

That is a cant hook, for rollong and moving logs for cutting them up
helps keep your saw out of the dirt

Thanks Square and Peg. Some blisters as well. Hoping to get some good calluses soon.

Found the axe wasn't biting well enough. Some glances. Might need to trim the profile a wee bit and re-sharpen.

This is this past April near the New York/Pennsylvania border. Me and Charo. I don't remember what I was chopping.

529956_10150671925861688_267552623_n.jpg

Back