Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Had a limb come down last evening during the touch of a tornado we had that came thru my part of the state.

Came down and rested on the "ninja line" we have for the boys. Not the most settling of feelings but whatcha gonna do...

So due to time...I grabbed my chainsaw and boys woodslasher to clear this dead oak limb.

20180516_091711.jpg

20180516_091728.jpg

20180516_091734.jpg

20180516_091743.jpg

20180516_091815.jpg

20180516_091720.jpg

The head coming loose and my impending dentist appt...I called the clean up project. Something about the dentist...just removes all motivation to be replaced by anxiety lol!!

I have to transplant a young hemlock tomorrow to save from the path of zipline run and will bring out my flint edge or registered to finish bucking the limb when I do that.

I am pretty happy I can rehang the woodslasher. I found it leaning against the wall in a corner of the dark basement here...my grandfathers.

Had a limb come down last evening during the touch of a tornado we had that came thru my part of the state.

Came down and rested on the "ninja line" we have for the boys. Not the most settling of feelings but whatcha gonna do...

So due to time...I grabbed my chainsaw and boys woodslasher to clear this dead oak limb.

20180516_091711.jpg

20180516_091728.jpg

20180516_091734.jpg

20180516_091743.jpg

20180516_091815.jpg

20180516_091720.jpg

The head coming loose and my impending dentist appt...I called the clean up project. Something about the dentist...just removes all motivation to be replaced by anxiety lol!!

I have to transplant a young hemlock tomorrow to save from the path of zipline run and will bring out my flint edge or registered to finish bucking the limb when I do that.

I am pretty happy I can rehang the woodslasher. I found it leaning against the wall in a corner of the dark basement here...my grandfathers.

That backyard is amazing!!

Im with S Square_peg ....... dont like that too much. If you have the skills one better option would have been a chainsaw.......much safer. A crosscut in skilled hands even, but more tricky with the underbuck you'd need to do. Something to get it to break off clean, before it splits and/or twists.

If nothing else, I'd have cut it a lot closer to the ground. then it wouldn't have made near the difference how you cut it.

That said, I've seen worse outcomes from similar jobs. Yours was almost past the point of barber chair being a concern.
So that's good !!

Last edited:
Yes sir,know about plunge cutting and stepping the hinges and all that.This is the third one that's broke and made a tripod that I have cut down,not doing it with a chainsaw again could not hear it and it almost got me on the first one.Notched it on both sides,threw a grab hook up in it and broke it over with the truck.

You can cut a progressively wider mouth on the lower side of a leaner until it eventually lowers itself to the ground in a very slow controlled manner. Start with a mouth 6" tall and only 1/2" deep.Then open it up 9" tall and another 1/2" deeper. Keep making long shallow cuts into the mouth until you first detect motion. Then stand back and watch it slowly droop to the ground. No excitement. No sudden movement. Little danger.

Edit: And no plunge cut.

Last edited:
I've had trees take 2 minutes to hit the ground once motion started.

BTW, this is all done with a chainsaw not an axe. I was taught this technique when I worked for the local DNR.

Had a red maple that was on its way out so I grabbed the plum Connecticut I hung a while back and a newly rehung homestead. Did the face cut with the homestead and back cut with the plumb. Did a bit of bucking just to compare the two. Gotta say I like them both. It’s hard to pick a winner. The handle lengths are similar (about 30”) but the plumb is full sized and the homestead is boys axe. I tend to lean towards lighter heads so if I had to pick it would be the homestead. Love the handle on the plumb .

20180815_150555.jpg

20180815_150536.jpg

Genuine Plumb Utility Axe up here in quiet and NH!

Doing what it does best.

It's also my goto pack axe when I backpack/camp.
When you done with this place you need to send me GPS coordinates. please.
1 3/4 lb National is one sweet backpacking tool. I stumbled on one with original (what it seems) 26 inch handle, 40 oz total. I also got Super Scout Axe 30 oz total (26 inch handle and, I believe regular hatchet head 1 1/4 lbs) ... it seems like great combination as a starter backpacking axe for your boys.
Edit
Well, I think I was totally wrong. That Super Scout Axe feels weird, unbalanced. I think it was re-hafted and original head (the handle is marked "Super Scout Axe") was most likely heavier, at least 1 3/4 lbs National pattern head.

Last edited:
Roofing.
p8141994.jpg
p8141995.jpg

The final plank overhanging needing to be trimmed flush to the batten and nailer
p8141997.jpg

while up there on the ladder so having the handle off-set was very helpful.
p8141999.jpg

I was carving up a piece of ash for another axe's handle, Ernest is building a house.
That is quite impressive. Did you stick nail in there so you didn't have to climb with the axe quite as much?
Well-shot pictures, square work, all axe.
:thumbsup:

Oh, the nail just suggested itself to me, but it's true, climbing with an axe in hand poses those potential risks.:) However, once up there the axe is that versatile to have, and I can see the temptation to make a hammer of one in such an instance, and it can get you out of a bind.

Agent_H, The pictures of the barn clearly show that the only axe work was to trim flush the sheathing boards. All the lumber visible in the photos are dimensional sawed, not axe hewn.

I was more commenting on my endeavor being a lot smaller in scale than one finishing or flooring a structure.

Old Axeman, I have zero doubt you know what all manner of axe hewn timbers, beams, and joints look like :thumbsup:

Thank you. Alternatively that trim could have been sawed and had it been done prior to nailing the battens even sawed with a circular worm-drive if you had one. Of all those alternatives I find in every way the axe superior and the more rational choice. Any dissenting arguments? I'd be interesting in reading them.

No dissenting arguments from me. A hatchet/axe is a great choice for this task. I have done the same thing many time on roof jobs. My comment was a clarification for Agent _H's observation of "square work, all axe" And, I was not criticizing Agent_H either.

Back