1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rplarson2004, Feb 28, 2012.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    muleman 77, good job. What is the poll called with the grid pattern, on your Plumb? DM

A17 and muleman77 like this.
  2. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    I'm not sure if it had a given name. I just call it a milled face, or waffle face, the same as you would on a hammer.

A17 likes this.
  3. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, thanks. DM

muleman77 likes this.
  4. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Thanks for posting the video. I had seen it listed before but not with the English sub-titles. John

mewolf1, muleman77 and Agent_H like this.
  5. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    @Square_peg redid one of his Plumb rafting axes here:

"Waffling" seems like a pretty apt description/term.

Mack, Trailsawyer, Square_peg and 3 others like this.
  6. Downwindtracker2

Downwindtracker2

Mar 20, 2019
    I went out with the wife Sunday rockhounding for amethyst. This trip up the Fraser canyon would be a perfect to post the photos the wife took. The area we went into had been hit with one of the big forest fires on the beetle killed pine. So incase we had to open a logging road, I brought along an axe I never used before, a 3# on a 24" haft. The head worked fine on the most difficult piece of wood I could find, just file and puck sharpening, however a 24" haft on a head that weight required a two handed use, and a uncomfortable swing. I love using a boys axe with a 24" haft brush clearing trail on the quad, but that is one handed. The axe went into the truck's tool box .

Yankee Josh and muleman77 like this.
  7. Mack

Mack Sailin' a reach, before a followin' sea... Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    A bunch of us from the Becker subforum got together this past weekend. I brought out a few axes to try.
    [​IMG]
    The 3 1/2 and 4lb Hults really impressed me but the massive 5lb Collins Jersey stole the show.
    For some reason my muscles are really sore.

8. Downwindtracker2

Downwindtracker2

Mar 20, 2019
    Your testing must have been much more through than mine, my muscles weren't sore this morning. chuckle.

muleman77, A17 and Mack like this.
  9. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Squarepeg style swinging with a mulemanstyle style axe,swell in the right hand and a full size head on a boys axe handle[​IMG]

10. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Taking on a Mighty Monster Mulberry;)

[​IMG]

Bob

11. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    nice job i'm amazed! people can't imagine how difficult it is to have such a regular cut with an axe. it's a pity you tear a bit of bark just to prove Nothing must be perfect on this earth!

12. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I thought it would be interesting to do a before/after of this red oak I felled last fall. I got more firewood out of it than I thought I would. Almost 2 cord! I took the one on the right. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I finished cleaning up all the small stuff today and splitting all the hard ones. I split all but one with my #5 S&N. [​IMG]
    The difficult ones; [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And finally the stacked wood. 219.3 cubic feet of it. (That number is wrong see edit/=109 cubic ft)[​IMG]
    Have a great night all!
    This oak was 84 years old btw.
    And it's equivalent to 42,000,000 btu's. Red oak is 24.6 million btu's per cord x 1.71 cord(s). That's a lot of heat from one tree!

I made a mistake when calculating.. There is NOT 1.71 cord there. It's 4/5ths of a cord or 109 cubic feet.
    I knew there wasn't that much wood there. I just wanted to make that correction. So about 20 million btu's from that oak. Still not bad!

Walking my property yesterday I finally found a property marker that I was sure didn't exist. I've looked for it a bunch in years past. In light of finding it I discovered that I have more oaks than I thought I did! And even though it's not the ideal time of year to harvest them I'm going to anyway. So I'll have some more axe swingin' updates soon!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  13. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Those are the fun ones, the challenging ones. Satisfying when you finally split them. Nothing goes to waste.

All well done. Thanks for the pics.

Agent_H, A17, Yankee Josh and 3 others like this.
  14. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    Flint edge Connie on a 30" octagon handle
    [​IMG]
    About 4 feet up
    [​IMG]
    It's all on the ground now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    You've got a beautiful forest that there. And god that looks like fun chopping.

Trailsawyer, Yankee Josh, A17 and 2 others like this.
  16. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I think waffle is a slang term, most commonly used in framers nomenclature. Never heard another term used to describe it on a job site.

17. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    This past week's itinerate work making do with materials presented.
    The thick
    [​IMG]
    The thin
    [​IMG]
    And the just right
    [​IMG]

18. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Cool clogs!

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Hand made by The Netherlands klompenmaker champion 2018-2019 Gerald Getkate.

20. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I bet they have great arch support! Planter Fasciitis wouldn’t be a problem.;)