1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rplarson2004, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    https://imgur.com/1antGbr
    https://imgur.com/wFSAtcn
    https://imgur.com/MrF6Sdx

A form of a diabolical anti-logging of sorts,my specialty this time of year...
    No axe involved...too weird to use from a moving boat...chainsaw is challenging enough...And a chainsaw must be used,the root-ball must come off before i can tow the log to my rafts...
    But all else-pike,peavey,et c. are all of course in constant use.

muleman77, Fmont, A17 and 4 others like this.
  2. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Is that salt water Jake?

muleman77 and Agent_H like this.
  3. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Me only getting the vaguest of glimpses of these shots behind the smoky barrier of the photo service demanding access to my private parts, but I sure would love to try sinking an axe in that kind of wood.

muleman77 and Fmont like this.
  4. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Garry,this is the Yukon river,still about 600 miles from thr salt...

Ernest,you'd like at least some of this wood (its very diverse,gazillion shades of spruce:)
    You tools may not,the silt content is considerable...But deep inside the wood it'd be much less,of course...

5. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm trying to be a member of this forum in good standing,but it's awful hard...there's just so little time and place for an axe in today's life...:(
    I work a section of the river just above my place,and happened to take this photo as well today(longish tow):https://imgur.com/e2wAFgl
    It's a cabin i built for a friend nearly 20 years ago,and in spite it's folksy,"traditional" appearance there was precious little,if any,use of axes...
    I didn't log this particular set of logs,but i wouldn't be surprised if my friends used a chainsaw even for limbing these...:(
    So,good on you,all who actually Use axes,it's always a pleasure to see your photos,thank you!

(Ernest,come out for a vocation with some of your axes;i can select some nice big Dense ones for you:)...I remember one particular log on that cabin,it had over 70 rings per inch...spruce here gets surprisingly dense and nice to work...)

6. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    A
    Very suitable for axe work I can imagine.
    Here's the piece I worked today, a far cry from those 70 rings.[​IMG]

7. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Thats a cool truck.Like your sign too.

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  8. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Since this thread is about axe use and clogs were mentioned, why not:

Bob

9. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Ernest Of the Woods! Quick question that I have wondered about. When you finishing hewing those logs, is it customary to pick up the scraps of wood and use them for say firewood? John

10. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I'm glad you ask this question because I always like to make provision for keeping the site in order and I normally have a rake with me along with cant hook, sappie, bark spade etc.... At the end of the day I gather far flung chips and try and make a neat perimeter around the work area. I like it when the waste accumulates under foot though there are times when a daily clean-up is necessary. When the last of the beams is finished I separate all the wood chips into three categories big, medium, small whether I personally dispose of it or not. When at home it gets stored away and used in the fireplace. Hopefully it answers your question John.

Fmont, I'mSoSharp, A17 and 2 others like this.
  11. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Ernest, Thank you for the answer and it makes perfect sense to me to use the chips. Thanks! John

Fmont, I'mSoSharp and A17 like this.
  12. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Did you ever consider The Forestry Forum?

13. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Strictly hatchet jobs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well. . . except for a couple of stop cuts with a hand saw.:rolleyes:

Bob

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I love a simple wooden maul made out of a branch. I keep several of them around. Quick and easy to make and ever so handy.

I would highly recommend smoothing out the transition between the handle and head. Abrupt transitions like that cause a weak spot that is likely to fail. Sadly I know this from experience.

Hard heavy coarse-grained hard-splitting woods are best for lasting tools. But the weight and ease of shaping of a green branch makes those very handy, too. I've probably carved a dozen green mauls for single use applications on the trail. Use it and throw it away or use it till it breaks and make another. Fast, easy, handy.

15. ScottB65

ScottB65

Jul 5, 2019
    I worked on this tree with a boy's axe for 5 years, 7 months and 13 days until I decided to give up and just go hunting.

[​IMG]

16. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Samsies. I make them triangulate, so the corners apply nicely to the base of game skulls for quick dispatching. I've also found it allows for getting closer if you need to be striking something that a circle/ovoid mallet is tending to glance off of.

17. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    An acute trapezoid is a handy shape, too. One side close to square, the other side more angled. Great for repeatedly knocking an axe off a haft during the hanging process.

18. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    We had this limb drop this past Friday night so i wanted to try this old, short, nothing left to it connie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some may remember this head and hang from a couple months back.

Its as suspected and now proven to be a goner.
    All soft in the bit, nothing left of quality hardness.

It maintained its sharpness the first couple bucks but by the time i finished with what you see here, i had some rolling, a chip and dulling for sure.

Also, on a side note. I am a short guy and i like a shorter handles on most my axes...this one is almost to short and could get dangerous if i had to swing it bucking this whole limb.

The oak handle will be rehung upon again.

19. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Such a nice relic. What a shame :-(
    Can you wrap the edge in vinegar soaked paper towel to see if it was overcoat or inlaid bit? Maybe there is still life left and just needs some heating/quenching/tempering love

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Meek1, Yankee Josh, A17 and 3 others like this.
  20. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I agree and its not easy for me to let go. Heating and quenching and tempering...to many projects on my list before i step up to that challenge :D

Meek1, Fmont, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.