Life after Zero Tolerance

Hello all.

The shutdown of the ZT forum got me to thinking maybe I grew a little closed-minded in my view that ZT's folders were pretty much untouchable for the money, and maybe it was a good time to start expanding my obsession. :)

Any suggestions about which makes/models to check out? My fave ZTs are the 0200, 0560/1, & 0801. All-time fave ZT is probably the 0560 since I feel they really did an amazing job with Hinderer.

I guess I like larger, tactical-type flippers that aren't priced out of the stratosphere. To me ZT reached a level of quality that rivaled some customs, but without the custom pricetag.

Any suggestions on your favorite larger tactical-type flippers like the 0560 or even the midsize flippers like the 0801? I recently caught wind of Fantoni's folders (the CUT & HB models) & was very impressed.

FYI, I'm not a huge Strider, Emerson, or Microtech fan, so I realize that narrows down the possibilities quite a bit. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with these types of knives myself, but the first thing that comes to mind is the LionSteel SR1.

Brous Blades reloader , One of the best flippers I've ever had sold my 0560CBCf to get one,and do not miss it!

The flipper request makes it a little tricky, Brous Blades, either his Division of Silent Soldier flipper might suit you. I think Quartermaster's new designs are flippers. HTM makes both assisted and manual flippers that are fairly tactical. Unfortunately I have no direct experience with any of these brands so I can't really recommend them per se, but they might be worth looking into.

I've had quite a lot of ZT Knives, and although they were pretty good in terms of build quality, I felt a lot of them lacked soul (Imo). Felt like a Lexus, pretty good build quality, but just felt something was missing. This was after owning the ZT0301, ZT0550, ZT0560, ZT0400, ZT0700. I never liked Spyderco personally due to their funky designs, but some of their knives like the Vallotton was amazing. I would say better fit and finish than the ZTs and with same high quality materials.

Spyderco has two great flippers: Southard & Domino with blade lengths of 3.5" and 3.1" respectively. About $$250 & $195. Superb flipper actions.

Benchmade 300SN flipper with a 3" blade but the detent is kind of weak. Flipper action okay. About $110.

If you don't have a Zero Tolerance 0801 you should. It's my best production ZT flipper folder. 3.5" blade about $190. Can't recommend it enough to not just ZT fans.

The Brous Blades flippers: Division and Reloader with blade lengths of 4.3" and 3.5" respectively. Unfortunately, $300+. Flipper actions are pretty good but not great.

My best flipper is the Wilson Combat Eagle by Les George. Flawless. about $500!

If I had to choose just one I'd say Spyderco Southard. It wins over ZT 0801 due to narrower profile and much lighter weight. Tough to find one now but it's in production and more coming in within the next couple of months. A user is pretty good too.

I've heard good things about Hogue knives. From what I've seen of their models, they seem like a decent alternative to ZT if you`re looking to try something different.

Good luck, OP! :)

-Brett

As TimberWeasel mentioned Hogue Knives are worth considering. I have the EX-04 and it's a push button lock. The only model that has the flipper option is EX-02 and it's the only one with liner lock. Another attractive feature of the Hogue knives is the G-Mascus G10 handles which are beautiful.

I would strongly recommend looking at the Hogue EX-02. They have a large and small in both spear point and tanto style (I have the large, 3.75" in spear point). The fit and finish are are very good. It is pretty beefy but is a great knife that I've enjoyed quite a bit. It is not as smooth as a ZT but the detent is strong and when you do push the flipper it snaps out with authority. These can be found in the $160 range.

I've been really pleased with my ZT knives. Of all of them, the 801 is the best with the 560/561 running a close second. A real shame they left the forum due to the shenanigans of a certain person.

I really don't see any other production knife company offering similar and similar quality knives. For instance, the Spyderco Gothard, while lighter and slimmer (and a good quality build) has a big hole in the blade (like all Spydercos), and the Benchmade has the thumb stud which can get in the way when cutting. The beauty and utility of a blade with no stud or hole like the 801 ranks higher in my mind than slim and light.

YMMV.

There are plenty of quality alternatives to ZT, even for flippers. Check out Boker. On the German front there's the Turbine, I had a Junior and it was a nice knife. In the Plus line there's the new Federal Flipper which is great. IKBS makes it smooth. It is also a very unique design, collaboration with GTC. It fills the hand but is still slim in the pocket. They also will be releasing the new Kwaiken Flipper model this year. Ti scales and a nice flipper. Two of my favorite knives right now are my Federal and my pimped Kwaiken. They are REALLY stepping it up with their import line.

As others have said, Hogue is worth a look. For a non-flipper look at the other obvious choices like Spyderco and Benchmade but also check out Protech. Their manual knives are just as good as their autos and definitely warrant a look.

A pic of my Federal:

As Bigfatts mentioned the Boker Federal is a great flipper. Beautiful with titanium and carbon fiber handles. It was flawless from day one. That's very surprising since it's made in China and sells for under $150 delivered. Heavy with a smaller (3.25") thick (0.20") blade of 440C steel. Interesting but functional hidden clip.

I know how you feel. The ZT forums close down and the next day I buy my first Buck knife. Coincidence?

Anyways, if you like bigger folders, how about the Benchmade Adamas?

This is a gorgeous knife. Someone on Youtube compared the custom version with this model, and they are very close in quality and F&F. And 1/10th the price. I hope Boker maintains the quality.

There are plenty of quality alternatives to ZT, even for flippers. Check out Boker. On the German front there's the Turbine, I had a Junior and it was a nice knife. In the Plus line there's the new Federal Flipper which is great. IKBS makes it smooth. It is also a very unique design, collaboration with GTC. It fills the hand but is still slim in the pocket. They also will be releasing the new Kwaiken Flipper model this year. Ti scales and a nice flipper. Two of my favorite knives right now are my Federal and my pimped Kwaiken. They are REALLY stepping it up with their import line.

As others have said, Hogue is worth a look. For a non-flipper look at the other obvious choices like Spyderco and Benchmade but also check out Protech. Their manual knives are just as good as their autos and definitely warrant a look.

A pic of my Federal:

Also, as others have mentioned if you don't mind a non-flipper the Protech TR-3 Manual Integrity Folder is smooth as butter (3.5" balde of 154CM or S35VN). These go for $250+.

The Fantoni HB 01 and 02 with blade lengths of 4.1" and 3.1" respectively (CPM-S30V) are absolute beasts designed by Bill Harsey. About $235-$285. Only one dealer in the U.S.

Back on the flipper side are the Dendra Knives which are manufactured by LionSteel: Tiger Jump (3.75" D2) and Deer Hunter (3.75" D2). There's also the Typhoon and Defender models which I don't have. Prices are in the $120-$200 range.

Maybe live on the wild side and drop $28 or whatever on a Kershaw Tremor. Its a big, sick 3.75" Persian-style blade, assisted opener, with a nice, big clip. If you try living low on the hog, you may never come back. I own the spendy big boy ZTs, but honestly I get a whole lot of fun (and utility) out of Kershaw's budget lineup.

Back