Life after Zero Tolerance

I am kind of partial to Todd Begg field grade flipper ($575-ish). Not sure if OP mentioned a price range.

Yes. Since Dave Curtis cancelled the latest F3 project I'm looking at those, assuming Dave doesn't add those signed up for the collab to his currently closed book. I think I'd prefer the F3 though, albeit not by much. That Bodega is totally sweet.

Maybe live on the wild side and drop $28 or whatever on a Kershaw Tremor. Its a big, sick 3.75" Persian-style blade, assisted opener, with a nice, big clip. If you try living low on the hog, you may never come back. I own the spendy big boy ZTs, but honestly I get a whole lot of fun (and utility) out of Kershaw's budget lineup.

We've shared similar tastes over the years...and I've gotta say the Tremor is the best sub-$30 knife I've ever owned.

... CTS-204P since (from what I hear, YMMV) it's being discontinued. (Not the knife, just the steel.)...

CTS-204P is not being discontinued. The Commercial Manager for Knife Blades at Carpenter said that they are going to expand production of 204P; see comment by "Bags14" in the other Spydie forum: (http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?59120-More-CTS-20CP/page3&highlight=20cp+discontinued).

Sorry that this is a redundant post-I didn't see TriviaMonser's post #38 (its late).

Last edited:
I felt alienated when Kai closed down their forum here. I'll watch this thread with interest.

Ill throw in that while the Spyderco Southard is a great knife, it's nothing like the ZT's you listed. I have many Spydercos, favoring my PM2 and Gayle Bradley, but I don't think they match with Zt. However, i think that the Dendra Dedender or Tiger Jump fits right in with the ZT style knife
kcDYAss.jpg

More pics in this other thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1066494-Dendra-Knives-info-requested

The shutdown of the ZT forum got me to thinking maybe I grew a little closed-minded in my view that ZT's folders were pretty much untouchable for the money, and maybe it was a good time to start expanding my obsession. :)

How open minded are you willing to get?

I would say that winner of the value for the money contest hands down belongs to a knife well outside of your tactical flipper focus.

Do you use your knives hard? Willing to try something completely different and then report back about the difference.

I'm running a pass-around with a slightly modified Opinel. Right now its attracting mostly folks with traditional tastes which is fine.

But I would love to see how it holds up for people who prefer the modern tactical folder.

Want to give it a go? What do you have to loose?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1097460-Opinel-Pass-Around-amp-Walk-About

Wow, you are all tremendously helpful. Thanks so much for the suggestions, I have my browsing homework cut out for sure. I was actually a hair-trigger away from buying a ZT 0801, but the closing of the ZT forums believe it or not left me with the impression that they were done interacting and caring about their fans and customers as much as I wished. That subforum was the only one I visited on any knife site. I think it's almost certain they'll lose business over it, but since the reason for shutting the forum down wasn't disclosed, I'm not gonna judge. I'll try not to judge either way.

Anyways, thanks again for the suggestions.

I have 16 ZTs currently (not as many as I would like to have, lol), and the 0801 is in my pocket right now; I say don't hesitate to pull the trigger on that model!

I go through a lot of ANIB knives...pass-throughs, but very seldom carry one of them before trading it off for something else. I carry a Zaan or Sebbie regularly, so my taste is decent.
HOWEVER, one flipper that I actually use for outside brush cutting/trimming is the Kershaw Junkyard Dog 2.2 Composite Blade Linerlock Knife 1725CB. It uses a composite blade with D2 spine and cutting edge. The edge is very sharp and holds up well. Besides, a new one costs much less than a hundred bucks, and you can easily find BLEMS for around $60 or so from the Kershaw Guy or well-known auction sites. I bought three from him; gave away two to good friends. The pocket-clip is funky, but it works fine. A great knife; a smooth flipper, easy to deploy, I love 'em.
I am a Spyderco nut; I've owned two Southards; I prefer my JYD 2.2.
Sonnydaze

I've had quite a lot of ZT Knives, and although they were pretty good in terms of build quality, I felt a lot of them lacked soul (Imo). Felt like a Lexus, pretty good build quality, but just felt something was missing. This was after owning the ZT0301, ZT0550, ZT0560, ZT0400, ZT0700. I never liked Spyderco personally due to their funky designs, but some of their knives like the Vallotton was amazing. I would say better fit and finish than the ZTs and with same high quality materials.

This, this, this. Glad I'm not the only one who felt exactly the same.

I think the best non-custom flipper is the Les George Eagle, but at that price you might as well jump up to a custom anyway.

In a more reaosnable price range, my Boker Federal is a fantastic flipper for the money. Strong detent, glassy smooth and no wrist action needed. But a lot of people seem to have issues with Boker so it hasn't gotten much attention. It was my first Boker and I'm very pleased.

I was actually a hair-trigger away from buying a ZT 0801, but the closing of the ZT forums believe it or not left me with the impression that they were done interacting and caring about their fans and customers as much as I wished. That subforum was the only one I visited on any knife site. I think it's almost certain they'll lose business over it, but since the reason for shutting the forum down wasn't disclosed, I'm not gonna judge. I'll try not to judge either way.

You won't regret the ZT 0801. Personally, it's their BEST production flipper and looks great.

The forum issue is a complete non-issue for me now. Do I wish it was still around? Absolutely. However, I'm more impressed with their current great designs including collaborations in both regular production and limited editions. Their choice of premium materials, craftsmanship, fit & finish and customer service are top notch.

You won't regret the ZT 0801. Personally, it's their BEST production flipper and looks great.

The forum issue is a complete non-issue for me now. Do I wish it was still around? Absolutely. However, I'm more impressed with their current great designs including collaborations in both regular production and limited editions. Their choice of premium materials, craftsmanship, fit & finish and customer service are top notch.

Agreed but you forgot one thing, their price point on all that you mentioned. Amazing.

I love the 0801. I carried the one I received from Kai USA for a passaround and couldn't put it down. I bought one for myself and couldn't be happier with it.

my wife and i have always been fans of the ZT 300 and 350 series for edc.
we will not relinquish those for anything else.

Like others have said it is also a non issue with me that the KAI forum shut down. I do wish it was still going, but I think that those of us that had been around a bit could see it coming. I will continue to purchase their products that alleal to me. We still have the 801CF and 454 to look forward to. Maybe down the road KAI will decide to start it up again. Till then I'll be happy to post my KAI stuff here. May even check out those Spyderco folk and a custom or two.

May even check out those Spyderco folk...

If you like manual flippers with great action and excellent materials and build you should definitely check out the Spyderco Southard and Domino flippers.

Back