1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Life after Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Murky Depth, Aug 29, 2013.

1. BobSig

BobSig

May 6, 2011
    Hehe, you have a rape whistle. :D

Knife suggestions... I like the Kershaw Offset and TiLT.

2. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Yeah, I have this fear that the Swedish bikini team might attack me in some dark and desolate alley. And then, when they are done with me and run away, I'll blow my whistle and yell "come back, please come back!" One must be prepared for any contingency, you know.

3. KLJTech

KLJTech Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Keep in mind that KAI/ZT didn't go out of business (Heaven forbid)... you can still soak up all that ZT goodness anytime you want by going online and ordering another OR using ones you already own.

I do completely understand missing the ability to go to their own section here, it was my favorite spot as well and was always the first section I read. I do agree that ZT's gotten to a point (a few years ago actually) in which they're producing near custom quality knives at much less than custom prices...what's not to love about that?

All in all its a GREAT time to be involved in this hobby of using/collecting/spending FAR too much money on knives. :D

4. VENI VIDI VICI

VENI VIDI VICI

Apr 10, 2013
    Zt0200 ftw!
    Id get the knife works edition with satin finish, it is so far the most ive spent on a knife (due to funds {im 15 and bad with cash})and i don't like how easily coatings throw off the aesthetics (use wear is fine, im talking accidental sanding too far or sharpeninf the primary bevel on accident :)) meaning when u scratch the coating there is a white scratch on a black blade, whereas when u scratch a noncoated blade u get a silver scratch on a silver blade...
    Sorry for the off topic rant, back to the point, for big folders other than ZT or the good ol kershaws id suggest southard as well, and maybe acrkt foresight if you don't mind aus 8
    Just search for ken onion collabs with companies and you'll find some great stuff. In the tactical flipper area, along with nice light use as well. I havent seen an onion collab i havent fallen in love with,

5. VENI VIDI VICI

VENI VIDI VICI

Apr 10, 2013
    i still NEED an 0777, if i could have any knife at ANY price point, including handmade, it would be the 0777 it looks like something you would have to pay skywards of 1,500 on, i think of it as the pinnacle of KAIs work

Ya, im bummbed about the kershaw forum, more than half of all my posts are there :( but its fine because theres no shortage of kai related threads in general such as this.

6. freewheeling

freewheeling

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes. Still my favorite knife so far. The knives from the first run are a little hard to come bay, and it's not clear whether the next run will use the same CTS-204P since (from what I hear, YMMV) it's being discontinued. (Not the knife, just the steel.) But I'm sure if they switch steels they'll have something comparable.

7. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Steels similar in composition to Carpenter's CTS-204P are DuraTech's 20CV and Bohler-Uddeholm's M390. Hopefully, they'll stick to one of those or another super-steel. May be even CPM-S90V.

8. Smead

Smead

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi I'm new and just joined. I'm a huge fan of ZT. Can anyone tell me why the ZT forum was closed?

9. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    Check out the Kershaw Rake, Kershaw Knockout, Kershaw Piston, Kershaw JYD II - especially the Composite Blade.
    Check out the Kershaw Tremor, Kershaw Scrambler(Coming out soon), Kershaw Thermite(Rick Hinderer Collab Coming Soon), Kershaw RJI.
    Benchmade 300sn Flipper, Spyderco Southard, Spyderco Domino, HTM Gunhammer(Can get it for around $200 if you have an account on Blade HQ(You can get the assisted Radian Blade in CTS-XHP for $200), HTM Kirby Lambert Snap($250 if you have an account on Blade HQ), Brous Blades has a few.

10. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

That's a subject long on conjecture but short on facts.

I don't believe there's been an official reason posted by KAI.

Big Mike

11. Smead

Smead

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks Big Mike

12. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Blade Chick knows her stuff.

13. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

+1 :thumbup: Ain't it the truth.

Big Mike

14. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Just buy yourself a ZT0350 to start the ball rolling. Use the knife, and see what the magic is all about.

15. Barabus

Barabus

Jun 15, 2013
    I am kind of partial to Todd Begg field grade flipper ($575-ish). Not sure if OP mentioned a price range.

16. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Wait for the next availability of the Spyderco Southard. Top rated steel and superb fit and finish. Comparable to well known more expensive knives.

17. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm not big into modern stuff anymore, but as a guy who owns a ZT 200, I can tell you that the lion Steel Sr1 has my attention. I just like the simplistic profile, and the variety of aesthetically pleasing handle choices. Seems like a very straight forward knife, with a bit of life to it, I'd like a black blade with Orange handles. D2 has treated me well, and has become more than venerable in this day and age.

18. TriviaMonster

TriviaMonster

Jan 2, 2012
    In March, Carpenter said they were ramping up 204P production. Where did you hear they are discontinuing it? Its been around for quite awhile as their Micro Melt 20-4.

19. Murky Depth

Murky Depth

Apr 18, 2005
    Wow, you are all tremendously helpful. Thanks so much for the suggestions, I have my browsing homework cut out for sure. I was actually a hair-trigger away from buying a ZT 0801, but the closing of the ZT forums believe it or not left me with the impression that they were done interacting and caring about their fans and customers as much as I wished. That subforum was the only one I visited on any knife site. I think it's almost certain they'll lose business over it, but since the reason for shutting the forum down wasn't disclosed, I'm not gonna judge. I'll try not to judge either way.

Anyways, thanks again for the suggestions.

20. minimalist

minimalist

Jul 3, 2013
    I find it odd that people are hinting that they won't buy ZT knives because they closed down their manufacturers thread. Needy much?