Lightweight Traditional Summer Carry?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MattWRog, May 22, 2020.

1. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    When you don’t want a 4” trapper banging around in lightweight summer shorts what are some good summer weight options for the traditional crowd? While certainly noteworthy, we can skip over the obligatory Opinels and SAKs.

redsparrow likes this.
  2. mph57

mph57

Dec 29, 2014
    I use a old, old Barlow that's about 3.25 inches long and thinner than the standard 4 in stockman. BTW (MattWRog)...I used to ride the Empire Builder (1960s) to see my grand parents every summer up in Montana : )

MattWRog likes this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I don't mind a 4" trapper in my pocket at any time of year. I often carry a 4 3/4" Laguiole. But sometimes I do carry something smaller and lighter:
    [​IMG]
    3 1/2" GEC ebony boys knife, and a smaller and lighter Buck lockback (very sharp!).

Old Hunter, mrknife, Modoc ED and 4 others like this.
  4. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Light weight is not my primary concern at this time of year. Summertime brings fruits, picnics, and food. I want a knife that can cut up bread, cheese, and nature's bounty with ease. This Marjacq handles those duties with aplomb. It's about the size of any Opinel No. 8 IIRC.

[​IMG]

5. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Moki small Fish Owl, lightest knife I own. So light I can't feel it in my pocket. It actually takes awhile to get use to each summer... then I can stop checking on it.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping this one will be almost as light...
    Fox Livri (photo by Will Power)
    [​IMG]
    ...patiently waiting for it's delivery, I let you know.

Dadpool, Old Hunter, Wurrwulf and 7 others like this.
  6. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    It’s a fantastic trip once you get up along the hi-line through Glacier park.

mph57 likes this.
  7. StubbyThumbnail

StubbyThumbnail Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Very timely thread for me! I also need stainless as a carbon knife will turn into a rusted mess for me in very short order. I'm a GEC nut and trying to get away from having to use a slip to protect the knife from moisture. The last several days I've been carrying a Case medium jack and it's working pretty well.
    Rick

8. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    We're already into summer temps here in Texas, with low 90's now happening. My usual carry does't change as warm weather in Texas is a 9 month long thing. Coin pocket knives like peanut, Boker 240 penknife, and my EDC of the Victorinox executive are the norm. If a picnic or woods outing is on hand, my old Buck 102 woodsman is on the hip.

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I haven't worn short pants since probably 3rd or 4th grade.
    Summer time carry doesn't change for me, I keep my four seasons knife...
    [​IMG]

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The simple answer is to just go smaller.
    Your typical slipjoint in the 3.25" range or smaller really doesn't weigh much at all.
    There are loads of great options, but it depends if you plan on doing any special summer specific activities and what size you want.
    Personally I always have a belt on, so it really won't matter to me this summer.

TrapperMike likes this.
  11. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Case pen knife.

12. mph57

mph57

Dec 29, 2014
    Absolutely......Seattle through Glacier National Park was the best!

13. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Sorry don't have a pic of it by itself at the moment, but the sodbuster Jr. In delrin is pretty light to me. The Buck 110 lite IS really light but may be to bulky,maybe the 112 lite? [​IMG]
    While not strictly 100% traditional the Cold Steel Broken Skull is very light and VERY tough. And it is based on a traditional pattern.

[ THUMBSTUD REMOVED AS PER TRADITIONAL RULES] ;)
    Besides I hated it anyways o_O

Old Hunter, willc, Half/Stop and 4 others like this.
  14. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Oh and the Cold Steel is thin:thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    :cool::D Great minds certainly do think alike or is it telepathy?;) The linerless Fish Owl my instant choice, the Livri another cert:thumbsup: Not sure of the weight difference as my scales need new batteries, never can remember to buy any...

blademan 13 and redsparrow like this.
  16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    CASE Penknife stainless and Yellow Delrin already been suggested too and a first rate option:thumbsup:

CASE Swayback Gent another strong presence by being svelte but credible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  17. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    How about a Benchmade proper with a nice little lanyard?

.577NE likes this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Not even loosely 100% traditional.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  19. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Yes, great minds do think alike Will. According to the dealer specs; Sm. Fish Owl 31g - Livri 34g or in other words, not enough difference to be notice by human hands. :)

Will Power likes this.
  20. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Well...you know....it is kinda,sorta shaped like one, just a little, maybe...:oops:

Yeah, other than the profile its modern. But it is a great light weight knife:confused:

Prester John and hughd like this.