Lightweight Traditional Summer Carry?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MattWRog, May 22, 2020.

1. .577NE

.577NE Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2019

+1, or better, +318 :thumbsup:

Roy Batty likes this.
  2. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    Moki small fish owl for me too...though I’ve been carrying it since the dead of winter.

MattWRog, Will Power and redsparrow like this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    A MAM or maybe a Svord Peasant? I don't know how light the Svord is.
    A peanut pattern or size might be another option?

If your shorts can use a belt, there's always the Buck 110 or 112. Both are under half a pound, so are not very heavy. Weigh less than half what a loaf of bread weighs, even. I don't know anyone over the age of a month or so in good health, that thinks a full loaf of bread is heavy. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    MattWRog and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  4. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    This thread is timely. I was thinking just this same thing the other day. For me, I want a Stainless Steel with scales that can get wet. Last year it was a mix of SAKs. This year I am thinking of picking up a Viper Swayback for outdoor summertime activities.

5. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Lots of good suggestions. Hard to beat the Moki at 1oz

redsparrow likes this.
  6. Pnwknifeguy

Pnwknifeguy

Apr 12, 2014
    Another way to go during the summer with light weight shorts is a sheath/pouch on the belt. Then you can carry even a large knife with relative ease. Also, I find small knives in light weight/floppy pocket shorts tend slide out when you sit down.

MattWRog likes this.
  7. CHNeal

CHNeal Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Buck 303 comes in at 3.25 long and less then 2 oz. all stainless and punches way above its weight class.
    I find it to be the perfect summer carry.

Getting older, mbkr, MattWRog and 4 others like this.
  8. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    If you like big knives, the SK blades smokejumper version of the 110 is slimmed down to just 3.2 ozs and comes in cpm 154.

gaj999, afishhunter and MattWRog like this.
  9. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    @Signalprick makes lightweight mods. Here is my brand new #71 with Micarta and G10. Light as a feather.

[​IMG]

Jonny D, Old Hunter, btb01 and 6 others like this.
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    True and I think weight is crucial when wearing shorts or lightweight trousers, you don't want some anchor weighing you down :eek: Actually, it's likely one of the reasons pocket-clips became popular, many people dislike knives banging about in the pocket, but then, Moderns tend to be massive and unwieldy;) You won't find a better made knife than the Moki, plus it's lockback. It's all about precision in action and form, it's a gem:cool: The only criticism I'd level at it is the Micarta is rather lacklustre, or rather shiny:D Bit like old LP vinyl....

CASE Sodbuster junior has already been shown but this too is an inexpensive but decent lighter knife, if you want a more pointy blade it's worth looking for a Queen Cutlery Country Cousin, their version of the Sodbuster, slightly smaller than the CASE but has D2:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Absolutely. Modded or custom made shadow and liner-less opens up all sorts of possibilities.

seas165 likes this.
  12. CasePeanut

May 25, 2018
    I have a small collection of linerless slip joints and they get most of my pocket time.

My other favorite summer carry is a case slimline trapper with the caplifter. Much smaller and lighter than a regular trapper.

The stainless blade is great for the lake or beach. Just long enough to cut summer picnic food and the caplifter is the most important summertime tool.

MattWRog and mrknife like this.
  13. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I had almost forgotten... I had a Cold Steel "Lucky" for a while, then gifted it to a friend, but it was amazingly lightweight, with two blades, opposite end. The blades are identical in shape, but one is serrated. The steel is S35VN, and it's linerless carbon fiber. It was made in Italy for Cold Steel, and I probably should get me another one. It also comes in a single blade version, called the "Lucky One".

I was surprised how nice it was... and amazed how light it was.

edit: I had forgotten it comes with the unmentionable clippy kind of thing on it, but it's a quick job to remove it.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  14. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Summer carry is usually something in stainless, usually a 4 1/4" Stockman, but a couple of other knives do make the rotation, like the 2018 forum knife. Which carries really small for a 4" knife. No problem at all in the lightest of shorts.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  15. Béma

Béma Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2011
    I have a green victorinox alox bantam resting among my summer gear, that is really light, slim and ready to open a refreshing beverage. :thumbsup:

16. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Not many SAKs lighter than this!
    IMG_2310.JPG

[​IMG]

17. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    20200523_180948_copy_756x1008.jpg 20200523_180920_copy_756x1008.jpg I carry these lightweight builds from @Signalprick alot lately. The smaller one hasnt left my pocket since i got it. I highly recommend Jason if you get the oportunity to get one of his builds or have him do custom work do it!

18. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Do you have any requirements other than no SAKs or Opinels? Blade length? Number of blades? Thickness?

Whenever I’m wearing athletic shirts or track pants I generally carry a 100% non-traditional Spyderco Dragonfly. Because I’ve had slipjoints jump out of the pockets of such clothing, I clip it onto my waistband.

redsparrow likes this.
  19. CasePeanut

May 25, 2018
  20. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Lookin' good fellas! You guys rock! :thumbsup: