Lightweight Traditional Summer Carry?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MattWRog, May 22, 2020.

1. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Lookin' good fellas! You guys rock! :thumbsup:

2. StubbyThumbnail

StubbyThumbnail Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2016
    For those who have them....Do I remember the bone handled Sod Buster Jr. knives have thinner scales than the Yellow synthetic sister?
    Thanks,
    Rick

3. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    I have to agree with @redsparrow and @Will Power , the Fish Owl is a stellar choice. Very light, stainless and exceptional build quality. Reasonably priced too. An Ohta friction folder is also a nice option. Approx. .75 ounce you forget it is in the pocket and it performs well with a thin ground D2 blade. The Dunlap is also a great choice ;) D24580FE-4D1D-421D-9294-1A6B558020DB.jpeg C0151167-C446-4E54-9BAF-D922285FC3C7.jpeg

4. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    WOW, that little friction folder is flat out gorgeous! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

blademan 13 likes this.
  5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I never thought about it before . But I recently was gifted a Maserin by a very good friend @Half/Stop that is pretty light and I have found it to be well made and is actually in my pocket right now .
    [​IMG]

Harry

6. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I've actually found that when I want to go lightweight, I can get much more knife for less weight by pocket carrying a small fixed blade. Especially if you consider skeleton knives or cord wrapped knives and kydex sheaths. I know concealed carry of a fixed isn't legal every where, but down here, I'm allowed to conceal anything with a blade less than 5". Considering I only have one knife that even reaches 5", I have a bevy of options that I can rotate. I think my lightest combo is my JK Knives Hurley Creek in 3/32" S30V with a kydex sheath. I had him change it a bit to have a 2.75" blade with a 3.25" handle. It is a neat, tidy package that absolutely disappears.

[​IMG]

cbach8tw, Old Hunter, Frailer and 4 others like this.
  7. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    My go to for lightweight summer carry in shorts: Buck 55, 501, 302, 303 or 310, Case Mini Copperlock or peanut, GEC #14, Canal Street Boys knife or Pinch Lockback, Victorinox Waiter.
    And although its not traditional since it has a thumb stud and pocket clip, the Buck 112 slim select is so thin and lightweight it carries really well in shorts, and being plastic and stainless does well with sweat. The 110 slim select works pretty good too.

Old Hunter, JohnDF and Wurrwulf like this.
  8. Camillus

Camillus

Jun 3, 2015
    I’m with you @Wurrwulf I also like carrying a small fixed blade and I find they carry very well when wearing shorts.

cbach8tw and Wurrwulf like this.
  9. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Buck lightweights make great summer folders
    [​IMG]

10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Welcome to the Traditional Forum.
    I know you've been here before, but perhaps a review of the rules is in order.

11. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Over the past couple of decades, I think I've seen more of those little mini Buck's than any other folding knife except the SAK classic. The mini Bucks and SAK classics are the most sold knives from what I've seen coming out of peoples pockets.

redsparrow likes this.
  12. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Oops, sorry John! Here are a couple of light weight slip joints. image.jpeg

13. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Edited the thread title to add Traditional.

Modoc ED likes this.
  14. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    The Dunlap gentleman is my favorite knife I own.

15. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Look at what showed up here today...
    [​IMG]

...just over one ounce and...
    [​IMG]
    ...you could say I'm over the moon for this one. ;) Fox Livri it's just cool! :cool:

16. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Best Summer beach carry.

17. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Occasionally in the summer I will wear gym shorts or other light clothing without suitable pockets, and then I carry a small fixed blade as a necker. Light, handy (6.4" OAL) and good stainless steel so it won't rust . . . a possible solution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Its maybe more of a modern traditional but I just ponied up for a Real Steel Luna in brown micarta. In addition to being lightweight it has the added bonus of SS hardware and S35VN blade steel so it should be great to keep in my swim short pockets around the pool, ponds and river. Def. gonna remove that pocket clip though.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  19. A.S.

A.S. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2017
    This Gerber is my lightest carry. It has been swimming & wet plenty of times and never shows rust. I don’t know what steel it is. It disappears in a pocket like none other I have. Almost too light as I’ve misplaced it several times.

CB3D656C-3A82-443B-9388-3A20E046F9E1.jpeg

20. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Looks like a tiny little Buck folder I have that was my grandfathers. Almost comically small. Very easy to lose!

A.S. likes this.