Lightweight Traditional Summer Carry?

Just remembered that I had this Kershaw KAI 3001 in my Traditional Long Bow accessory box. Composite one-piece cover and stainless blade. Very light weight.

x020qOG.jpg

Just about any decent Medium Stockman or Junior Cattle Knife, 3-1/4” to 3-9/16”, will give you full size capability for most anything a pocketknife needs to do, combined with light weight. This Camillus 75 was in my pocket today, did a little mono cutting when I stopped to check out local river conditions. OH
Camillus-75.jpg

When you don’t want a 4” trapper banging around in lightweight summer shorts what are some good summer weight options for the traditional crowd? While certainly noteworthy, we can skip over the obligatory Opinels and SAKs.
Is a Victorinox Florist an "obligatory ... SAK"? I don't usually think of this model when I think of SAKs, but I got one this week and think it's an impressive lightweight knife, even though the closed length is almost 4".
florist.mark.Vstand.jpg

- GT

GT, I’ve got one of those VIC’s I bought from a Gun & Pawn several years ago - when I saw it I thought ‘perfect drywall knife’ - didn’t realize it was a floral knife until later (learned that here). Still a great DW knife. OH

Is a Victorinox Florist an "obligatory ... SAK"? I don't usually think of this model when I think of SAKs, but I got one this week and think it's an impressive lightweight knife, even though the closed length is almost 4".
View attachment 1349254

- GT

GT, thats the knife that my EDC executive gets augmented by if I think I need more cutting tool. Its a VERY impressive pocket knife with cutting ability that rivals the Opinel, but without the fiddly nature. More rugged than you'd think from the light weight of it, and totally unaffected by water. It was in my shorts pocket tubing on the Guadalupe River, and cut up snacks afterward.

I love the Victorinox florist knife and wish I'd discovered them sooner.

Lookie there! I know you're excited and I'm excited for you. Looking for your impressions after a few days. I went ahead and ordered a Moki Fish Owl which hasn't arrived but that doesn't mean I can't order a Fox!

GT, I’ve got one of those VIC’s I bought from a Gun & Pawn several years ago - when I saw it I thought ‘perfect drywall knife’ - didn’t realize it was a floral knife until later (learned that here). Still a great DW knife. OH
Thanks for the "usage hint", Bruce. :):thumbsup:

GT, thats the knife that my EDC executive gets augmented by if I think I need more cutting tool. Its a VERY impressive pocket knife with cutting ability that rivals the Opinel, but without the fiddly nature. More rugged than you'd think from the light weight of it, and totally unaffected by water. It was in my shorts pocket tubing on the Guadalupe River, and cut up snacks afterward.

I love the Victorinox florist knife and wish I'd discovered them sooner.
Carl, your thread back in December about your opinion of the Vic Florist played a major role in my finally picking one up, even if it took me almost 6 months! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: You'll probably be getting a commission of about $1.76 any day now. :D

Today, in my enthusiasm for the knife, I've been spamming all the relevant threads I could think of with pics, but I haven't posted one in your influential thread. I'll go do that right now! ;)

- GT

View attachment 1349254

- GT

I’ve got a couple clip point chisel grind versions of the florist or budding knife. Believe it was called the “day packer” some years back. Have them in the car glove boxes. Great mention though.

If you really can't stand the heat, it's hard to go lighter and rostfreier than this single-blade Vic.
The Imperial Ireland is a good choice, too.
Maybe it's time to carry the Case and try to like it. It is light, though bulky. I'd rather have stainless liners and thinner zytel. (And some snap on the spay blade.)
gBJPAY7.jpg

Carl, your thread back in December about your opinion of the Vic Florist played a major role in my finally picking one up, even if it took me almost 6 months! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: You'll probably be getting a commission of about $1.76 any day now. :D

- GT

Thats before taxes!:(

Lookie there! I know you're excited and I'm excited for you. Looking for your impressions after a few days. I went ahead and ordered a Moki Fish Owl which hasn't arrived but that doesn't mean I can't order a Fox!
Today is the forth day with my Fox Livri and I'm still excited. (thank you @Will Powell for showing yours) It's a splendid small, lightweight pocket knife that is more like a Moki Fish Owl than different. The Moki's major differences are it's a lockback and comes in two sizes. The Fox differs from the Moki in that it uses M390 steel, cost more and come in either wood or micarta. Otherwise they are virtually the same; size, shape, weight, fit, finish, purpose, feel...

...like Two Peas in a Pod...
KlaR6MS.jpg

...one from Japan the other Italy...
eTbbsp6.jpg

...your choice or follow the best advice given in these situations and "Get both." :thumbsup::thumbsup: ;):)

Last edited:
redsparrow redsparrow that is a great shot of the two. The Livri looks to be ground much thinner at the edge than the Moki. Honestly, that is the one feature of the Moki that I was a little disappointed with.

redsparrow redsparrow that is a great shot of the two. The Livri looks to be ground much thinner at the edge than the Moki. Honestly, that is the one feature of the Moki that I was a little disappointed with.
Thanks Jamie. I don't have a micrometer so I can't perform an accurate comparison but both the Livri and the Fish Owl I have seem to slice quite well.

Back