Lightweight Traditional Summer Carry?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MattWRog, May 22, 2020.

1. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Just remembered that I had this Kershaw KAI 3001 in my Traditional Long Bow accessory box. Composite one-piece cover and stainless blade. Very light weight.

[​IMG]

2. BladeCommander

BladeCommander

Nov 13, 2012
    Another vote for sodbuster style since they are normally shadow patterns. No bolsters helps keep the weight down .
    [​IMG]

This CASE single spring pen knife is quite light for its size. If it weren't for the beartrap pulls it would be a regular carry.
    [​IMG]

3. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Just about any decent Medium Stockman or Junior Cattle Knife, 3-1/4” to 3-9/16”, will give you full size capability for most anything a pocketknife needs to do, combined with light weight. This Camillus 75 was in my pocket today, did a little mono cutting when I stopped to check out local river conditions. OH[​IMG]

4. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Smaller than a Peanut, as ground SS, Delrin covers. Perfect for summer carry. Dscn0053_zpsq8tcfq66.jpg

5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Is a Victorinox Florist an "obligatory ... SAK"? I don't usually think of this model when I think of SAKs, but I got one this week and think it's an impressive lightweight knife, even though the closed length is almost 4".
    florist.mark.Vstand.jpg

- GT

6. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    GT, I’ve got one of those VIC’s I bought from a Gun & Pawn several years ago - when I saw it I thought ‘perfect drywall knife’ - didn’t realize it was a floral knife until later (learned that here). Still a great DW knife. OH

7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I'm glad you got it and glad you like it :cool::thumbsup:

Regards, Will

8. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    GT, thats the knife that my EDC executive gets augmented by if I think I need more cutting tool. Its a VERY impressive pocket knife with cutting ability that rivals the Opinel, but without the fiddly nature. More rugged than you'd think from the light weight of it, and totally unaffected by water. It was in my shorts pocket tubing on the Guadalupe River, and cut up snacks afterward.

I love the Victorinox florist knife and wish I'd discovered them sooner.

deanbaileymd likes this.
  9. StubbyThumbnail

StubbyThumbnail Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Lookie there! I know you're excited and I'm excited for you. Looking for your impressions after a few days. I went ahead and ordered a Moki Fish Owl which hasn't arrived but that doesn't mean I can't order a Fox!

redsparrow and Will Power like this.
  10. StubbyThumbnail

StubbyThumbnail Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Somehow I forgot to quote your post in my previous post. Very nice!

Will Power likes this.
  11. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the "usage hint", Bruce. :):thumbsup:

Carl, your thread back in December about your opinion of the Vic Florist played a major role in my finally picking one up, even if it took me almost 6 months! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: You'll probably be getting a commission of about $1.76 any day now. :D

Today, in my enthusiasm for the knife, I've been spamming all the relevant threads I could think of with pics, but I haven't posted one in your influential thread. I'll go do that right now! ;)

- GT

jackknife and Old Hunter like this.
  12. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I’ve got a couple clip point chisel grind versions of the florist or budding knife. Believe it was called the “day packer” some years back. Have them in the car glove boxes. Great mention though.

13. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    If you really can't stand the heat, it's hard to go lighter and rostfreier than this single-blade Vic.
    The Imperial Ireland is a good choice, too.
    Maybe it's time to carry the Case and try to like it. It is light, though bulky. I'd rather have stainless liners and thinner zytel. (And some snap on the spay blade.)
    [​IMG]

Old Hunter, Headwinds, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Thats before taxes!:(

btb01 likes this.
  15. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    When I'm feeling the need to go light and slim ... this one fills the bill ----->

[​IMG]

Dadpool, MattWRog, Old Hunter and 8 others like this.
  16. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Today is the forth day with my Fox Livri and I'm still excited. (thank you @Will Powell for showing yours) It's a splendid small, lightweight pocket knife that is more like a Moki Fish Owl than different. The Moki's major differences are it's a lockback and comes in two sizes. The Fox differs from the Moki in that it uses M390 steel, cost more and come in either wood or micarta. Otherwise they are virtually the same; size, shape, weight, fit, finish, purpose, feel...

...like Two Peas in a Pod...
    [​IMG]
    ...one from Japan the other Italy...
    [​IMG]
    ...your choice or follow the best advice given in these situations and "Get both." :thumbsup::thumbsup: ;):)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Dadpool, miso2, MattWRog and 4 others like this.
  17. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    @redsparrow that is a great shot of the two. The Livri looks to be ground much thinner at the edge than the Moki. Honestly, that is the one feature of the Moki that I was a little disappointed with.

Dadpool likes this.
  18. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    Lionsteel Shuffler in my pocket today.
    Slim, lightweight, with a fantastic blade

Lansky1, Will Power and redsparrow like this.
  19. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks Jamie. I don't have a micrometer so I can't perform an accurate comparison but both the Livri and the Fish Owl I have seem to slice quite well.

20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    At the risk of being derivative...here's a groupie including G.David mini Laguiole 8cm all stainless with Juniper.

[​IMG]