Lion Steel Rotoblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

Just wanted to bring up a feature that has not been talked about too much on the upcoming DPx Folders. I'm talking about the Lion Steel Rotoblock system.

I have heard from more than a few people that it makes the folder "basically like a fixed blade". I did some research, but could not really find any detailed information on how the system actually works. Does it just lock the frame in position? Or does it actually alleviate the stress on the pivot under hard use?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

There are a couple of videos on Youtube regarding the Lion Steel SR-1 folder that show the rotoblock feature. AFAIK it simply tightens down and keep the lock from moving. Also from what I can gather it's simply done with your fingers. It doesn't need to tighten that much I'd assume, just really acting as a block. No first hand experience though on my part. The SR-1 sure seems like a really nice knife which bodes well for the HEST-F.

I wanted the Rotoblock because I don't trust folders. If you get busy with a folder it better not "fold" on you. So I incorporated the Rotoblock to prevent this.

Another feature is the Rapid Deployment System. When you pull the DPx HEST/F out of your pocket with a downward motion, it comes out open AND locked. No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this. Some come out open, some can be locked but the DPx HEST/F is unique in this feature. If you need a brutal folder in a hurry...it better be open and ready for action.

"If you need a brutal folder in a hurry...it better be open and ready for action."

Hurry! Hand me that BEER! Before its turns on me!

Thwack!

Another feature is the Rapid Deployment System. When you pull the DPx HEST/F out of your pocket with a downward motion, it comes out open AND locked. No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this. Some come out open, some can be locked but the DPx HEST/F is unique in this feature.

The "Wave Feature" Emersons do this (a big part of why I've carried one for years). They use a liner lock, though. While I've never had a problem with it, I don't ever use the knife in ways that can potentially "test" that feature... with my fingers!

That said, I've never used a Rotoblock equipped knife but I sure like the looks of it. Judging from all the pictures, I plan on really liking the HEST/F!

P.S. The RDS is hands down the reason I bought this knife. I thought it was a great looking knife in the beginning but had no real plans to buy one until it was confirmed that the bottle opener was also a knife opener... have I mentioned I'm really looking forward to this knife?

From what I understand, the Rotoblock simply locks the lockbar into place.

So I guess batoning with this folder would not be a good idea?

Just curious, if I am ever in a position where I will need to baton, I will have a fixed blade on me.

I wanted the Rotoblock because I don't trust folders. If you get busy with a folder it better not "fold" on you. So I incorporated the Rotoblock to prevent this.

Another feature is the Rapid Deployment System. When you pull the DPx HEST/F out of your pocket with a downward motion, it comes out open AND locked. No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this. Some come out open, some can be locked but the DPx HEST/F is unique in this feature. If you need a brutal folder in a hurry...it better be open and ready for action.

What makes it different from the Emerson wave then you mean?

From what I understand, the Rotoblock simply locks the lockbar into place.

So I guess batoning with this folder would not be a good idea?

Just curious, if I am ever in a position where I will need to baton, I will have a fixed blade on me.

the rotoblock does indeed prevent the lockbar from moving from the blade tang. so in the sense the blade can no longer close, it is a fixed blade.

but it is still a folder for the purposes of a failure. the points of failure would be either the pivot, stop pin, or the lockbar cutout. of these, the cutout is more likely to buckle than the pivot or stop pin are likely to break.

Yeah, batoning a folder is a bad idea..
Emerson+HD7.jpg

On the Rapid Deployment System:

Recently i've acquired a Kershaw Talon 1421st in G-10 with the help of Lucky star. With the tip-down clip that would deploy much like The Wave, probably quicker if i practiced more (with my pinky finger still intact) i would say this is the quickest deployment i could do with. The bottle opener feature simply cling on to the edge of pocket sleeve,unfold,one violent shake-up and you've got it fixed on your palm.Will try to post some pics later.

Most of the infos found are from Forumite Don Rearic, whose personal best deployment time at 0.17sec:

http://www.donrearic.com/southerncomfort.html

snarcdraw1.jpg

snarcdraw2.jpg

I don't know what a Emerson Wave claims to do or does. My goal was to create a knife I wanted. If the Emerson can open a bottle of beer then that's all good. As for the jibber jabber about trying to do it without the rapid deployment feature. the DPx HEST is open and locked AS it comes out of your pocket. There is no .17 of getting stabbed or cut required :))

I don't know what a Emerson Wave claims to do or does. My goal was to create a knife I wanted. If the Emerson can open a bottle of beer then that's all good. As for the jibber jabber about trying to do it without the rapid deployment feature. the DPx HEST is open and locked AS it comes out of your pocket. There is no .17 of getting stabbed or cut required :))

that is exactly what the emerson wave does.

and it opens beer bottles as well.

I don't know what a Emerson Wave claims to do or does. My goal was to create a knife I wanted. If the Emerson can open a bottle of beer then that's all good.
- As others have mentioned, that's exactly what the Emerson Wave does. He applied for a patent in 1997.

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

I have an order for the production version of the H.E.S.T. folder and would like to see how the Rapid Deployment System compares to the Wave. I'm sure it functions the same way as my Emersons.

RYP,

As for the jibber jabber about trying to do it without the rapid deployment feature. the DPx HEST is open and locked AS it comes out of your pocket. There is no .17 of getting stabbed or cut required )

Irregardless of the 0.17 i really like the fact HEST is out and about ready to cut.
I would imagine the loud "clicked" noise. :)

the HEST folder is like the folder i've been waiting for, it has a dedicated beer opener, a glass breaker, which is hard to find in a folder, and very important in some scenarios, plus is one sexy blade
if the beer opener works as a rapid deployment system, hey, even better :thumbup:
for me, the HEST folder is not just another folding knife, is the folding knife :D

"that is exactly what the emerson wave does"

Opens beer bottles? I read the patent its pretty clear that the idea is that its a hook shaped device (ergo the name wave) that was designed to open knives. Nothing to do with the DPx HEST/F which is designed to open capped bottles and provide a secure thumb grip for close in work. It just happens to be a great way to open (or not open) your knife when you need it in a hurry.

Managio is the home of the switchblade by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back