Lion Steel Rotoblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, bottle opening aside, in reality this Rapid Deployment System obviously works the same way as the Emerson Wave device, to open the knife in a locked position as it comes out of the pocket. Therefore it is a cool thing to give credit where credit is due (like Spyderco does with the waved Endura and Delica). It's no big deal though. Many companies have knives that happen to be built in a way where you can open them in the same way as an Emerson knife if you want, Cold Steel has made several such models for an example.

And the bottom line is that the fact that you can open the H.E.S.T. folder directly out of the pocket is only one of many reasons why it is one of the most excellent knives I've seen this year.

I'm definitely gonna get one.

I don't know what a Emerson Wave claims to do or does. My goal was to create a knife I wanted.

Then I would suggest that you attempt some "market research". Even a cursory glance at your major competitors -- Spyderco, Emerson, Cold Steel -- would quickly reveal your hyperbolic statements to be false.

No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this.

In fact, here's a couple.

C11PGYW_M.jpg

C10GYW_M.jpg

C14GYW_M.jpg

C103G_M.jpg

csstoreonline_2136_13362719

csstoreonline_2135_489458

csstoreonline_2134_127026

csstoreonline_2136_22274736

E-SuperCQC8BTS.jpg

SuperKarambit.jpg

All mass produced, production knives

Last edited:
"that is exactly what the emerson wave does"

Opens beer bottles? I read the patent its pretty clear that the idea is that its a hook shaped device (ergo the name wave) that was designed to open knives. Nothing to do with the DPx HEST/F which is designed to open capped bottles and provide a secure thumb grip for close in work. It just happens to be a great way to open (or not open) your knife when you need it in a hurry.

Managio is the home of the switchblade by the way

uhh.....no.

i wrote it also opens beer bottles.

the wave opens the folder as it is removed from the pocket, which you posted the bottle opener on the hest folder does.

"Then I would suggest that you attempt some "market research". Even a cursory glance at your major competitors -- Spyderco, Emerson, Cold Steel -- would quickly reveal hyperbolic statements to be false."

As I have stated many times over. I designed a product I wanted, not one designed to sell to the millions. I would have done a $19 blister pack made in china survival folder for Walmart with my shining face on the cardboard. I sure as heck wouldn't have partnered with ESEE if I wanted to create a "marketing" product and I have never represented the DPx Gear as anything other than products I want to own and with the input of people who share my passion for quality equipment.

Still don't see a knife that opens beer bottles...or one that actually "locks" not "opens" or one that I want to own in that list ...keep trying. :))

endura wave opening a beer bottle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dRvQsJa2E

I've never been able to open a beer bottle (efficiently) with my Emerson, and I must say I've always thought it would be a cool feature.

It's cool that the Endura knives can do it, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one (even for a spare knife) simply because I think they look like ass. Yeah, yeah, looks aren't what knives are about, but it appears that the HEST Folder will pull off looks and hard-core use!

... and I have never represented the DPx Gear as anything other than products I want to own...

No sir, you represented your product as unique in regards to its method of opening:

No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this.

Why -- and how -- can you make this type of statement? Did you even bother to see if ANY of your competitors produced anything similar? One of your major competitors built his entire company on the opening method you claim to be unique.

Still don't see a knife that opens beer bottles...or one that actually "locks" not "opens" or one that I want to own in that list ...keep trying. :))

Perhaps it's my poor reading comprehension, but I don't quite understand this. Everyone of the above pictured knives locks open when deployed, and most can be used to open bottles (a feature of trivial importance as bottles can be open with almost anything).

As I have stated many times over. I designed a product I wanted, not one designed to sell to the millions...

That may be true, but when the product you "want" borders on patent infringement, you'll be called out on it. Both Emerson and Demko hold patents that cover your "unique" system of deployment. In fact, Spyderco pays Emerson a fee to be allowed to use the Wave. Maybe you'd know that if you'd at least attempted to do a bit of research.

...keep trying.

Maybe you should too.

I would have done a $19 blister pack made in china survival folder for Walmart with my shining face on the cardboard.

Are you saying your shining face won't be on the HEST/F LE packaging!?

"Then I would suggest that you attempt some "market research". Even a cursory glance at your major competitors -- Spyderco, Emerson, Cold Steel -- would quickly reveal hyperbolic statements to be false."

As I have stated many times over. I designed a product I wanted, not one designed to sell to the millions. I would have done a $19 blister pack made in china survival folder for Walmart with my shining face on the cardboard. I sure as heck wouldn't have partnered with ESEE if I wanted to create a "marketing" product and I have never represented the DPx Gear as anything other than products I want to own and with the input of people who share my passion for quality equipment.

that's great. many people, including me, are anxiously awaiting their folders. the fact that you designed a folder you would carry, is in fact, a major selling point.

but i am really baffled by your unwillingness to admit that the idea of a hook that opens and locks a folder open is not your own.

the emerson wave, patented about 13 years ago, does exactly that. it hooks on clothing as it is drawn, and opens and locks the blade. cold steel was able to get around that patent by using the thumb disk as the "wavelike" opener (iirc), and patented their own opener.

they all open the blade when drawn. they all lock the blade open. its a great idea, its just someone else's.

the fact it was designed as a bottle opener is incidental. when applied to the spine of a folder, it does in fact "wave" the folder open in to the locked position. the fact that the emerson wave also can open beer bottles is incidental.

"that is exactly what the emerson wave does"

Opens beer bottles? I read the patent its pretty clear that the idea is that its a hook shaped device (ergo the name wave) that was designed to open knives. Nothing to do with the DPx HEST/F which is designed to open capped bottles and provide a secure thumb grip for close in work. It just happens to be a great way to open (or not open) your knife when you need it in a hurry.

Managio is the home of the switchblade by the way

I can confirm that the bottle opener is actually a rapid deployment system. A folder in a hostile environment that isn't open and in business is just a piece of steel :))

I have never used the wave but the system I created allows the user to decide if he wants to pull the HEST deployed or closed. For deployed usage the user pulls the knife out blade heavy (downward) and to keep it closed pulls it out blade light (upward)

I have been impressing people for over two months and they assume at first that its assisted. Nope, just well engineered :))

My bold .

is designed to open capped bottles
is actually a rapid deployment system.

Me thinks contacting Mr.Emerson for a chat , would be a good idea .

1234,,,,,:)

I'm convinced the "bottle opener" was put on the original Fixed HEST with the intention of someday creating a folding knife that would use said "bottle opener" as a rapid deployment system.

Clearly, this was premeditated!

(please read between for the lines for the sarcasm)

Last edited:
Man, just grow some nuts and admit you got the idea from Emerson. ;)
- RYP may have thought of the idea on his own. He just didn't realize that Emerson already thought of the Wave over a decade ago.

I didn't even know the Wave existed until I saw a Youtube video of the Spyderco P'Kal about two years ago. Then I looked up why they had a patent by Emerson and discovered Emerson Knives for the first time. :)

Man, just grow some nuts and admit you got the idea from Emerson. ;)

Just speaking from what I've seen, I don't think RYP's problem is a "lack of nuts" :)

Anyway, I think this thing escalated very quickly, and people are being a little over-aggressive here...

I think the bottle-opener started as just that, and then it was found that it could also be used as a "rapid deployment" method. Just speculating, maybe I'm being naive, but let's all just take a deep breath, not get our panties in a bunch and see what happens..

These knives are looking less and less attractive to me.

These knives are looking less and less attractive to me.

This thread is looking less and less attractive to me.

The knife still looks great.

As for the rest...
Until Mr. Emerson posts here, I see no reason to get all butthurt and whiney about it. At least the HEST/F comes with both sides of the edge sharpened.

Until Mr. Emerson posts here, I see no reason to get all butthurt and whiney about it.

Nobody's butthurt and whiney, but I am astonished by RYP's claim that he was unaware of the Emerson wave and its derivatives and his claims that rely on that ignorance.

I mean, it's one thing to be totally unaware of a major, popular method of blade deployment, but it's a whole 'nother thing to claim that your product is unique without even making a semblance of an effort to actually see if it is.

I've seen salesman do similar things, but the only qualities they shared was ignorance, apathy, and laziness.

This thread is looking less and less attractive to me.

The knife still looks great.

Ditto.

Guys, let's not get edgy with the mechanism.
RYP was just making a point about HEST's ability to unlock outta pocket.

Until the folder's released, we gonna see these threads coming with great animosity. Just chill.:)

Well for the folks who don't know the origins of the DPx HEST and subsequently the folding version. Do your homework and you will see that I designed the HEST fixed over two years ago and every facet on the knife was carefully designed to do at least two or three things.

The folder was simply an ability to turn that fixed quality and reliabilty into a folder. Which means it had to lock. Not just close in the open position. Ergo the Rotoblock.

You haven't used the Folder but I think you would agree it is a very good translation of the fixed blade.

I am sure that if someone has a problem with anything related to an product they know where to find the manufacturer and discuss it with them. Knives are neither new or dramatically different. Each manufacturer respects the innovations of others but in no way shape or form is the DPx HEST derivate of a specific design. I started from a clean sheet of paper and came up with what you see now.

Darthsoaker makes the assumption that I immerse myself with what other people are doing. A modicum of "market research" would show that I have nothing to do with the knife business before creating the HEST. I spent/spend most of my time overseas and in other areas unrelated to manufacturing. I have been to two SHOT shows and one Blade show and enjoyed the people I met but I have never called myself an expert.

However I work with experts and only with people who have sterling reputations. So the folks who want to invent scenarios or excuses are entitled to their opinions but not in misrepresenting the facts.

The ability of the HEST Folder to open and lock and not just close (I am starting to repeat myself) is unique and the over design of the knife creates a rapid deployment system that locks. The Emerson does not lock if you read the patent carefully he has a nice system that uses a hook designed solely to open the knife. Is this marketing as a feature? No. Are their any competitive claims to other systems. No. The HEST is unique and will remain so. Why because we are not chasing the industry.

If Mr Emerson wants to review the knife and discuss its design with me that is fine but ultimately patents are to protect design and prevent competition from copying your design. There is no copying nor is there any design similarity. If you want to argue function (a rapidly opening knife) I have posted his patent info.

If you don't understand how the opener and the RotoBlock to together you will have to wait until you see the knife in action. But your tone seems that you are kind of dog whistle deaf on the basic concept: that the Folder is a pretty exact modification of the Fixed Hest.

hestcomparison.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back