LOL'd Bear Grylls Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found these at my place of employment....

I laughed...
Bearassortment.jpg

Then got sad...
BearFixed.jpg

My store carries sheeple knives. I guess if it gets someone thinking about being resourceful then great. I have decided to concentrate on that fact and have even considered hitting a rep up to loan me one to "test".

Thoughts?

take a look at the review of this knife in the forum's review section. i've heard that the *main* issue mentioned has caused the manufacturer to recall the knife.

Man, REI carries Bear Grylls knives? Jeez I hope nobody buys these, you could get an Izula 2 for the price of that bottom one.

I guess I don't understand why everyone dislikes Bear so much. Watched his shows and picked up some useful info, not all things are applicable for me but some things are. Read his book and picked up some good info there as well. Probably thousands of people out there that have the same skills as him, simply he has done a good job marketing himself. I know this isn't a popular opinion here, just my .02

Yes I know he could have picked a better brand of knives to go with but these things are going to sell like hot cakes and everyone involved stands to make a ton of money. You can put a $100 hard use knife on the shelf right next to Bears Gerber and the sheeple will still buy the Gerber... Why? Because they are sheeple.

Don't shoot me... :)

I guess I don't understand why everyone dislikes Bear so much. Watched his shows and picked up some useful info, not all things are applicable for me but some things are. Read his book and picked up some good info there as well. Probably thousands of people out there that have the same skills as him, simply he has done a good job marketing himself. I know this isn't a popular opinion here, just my .02

Yes I know he could have picked a better brand of knives to go with but these things are going to sell like hot cakes and everyone involved stands to make a ton of money. You can put a $100 hard use knife on the shelf right next to Bears Gerber and the sheeple will still buy the Gerber... Why? Because they are sheeple.

Even though I would never buy one I agree I watch his show sometimes.

Whew at least I know I won't get burned at the stake alone :)

A few points. First he's outdoors, and probably getting people out there and thinking a little different. This is good. He's a hell of a marketing machine. I saw an entire catalog today full of 'his' gear. He's a one-man LLBean. As a red blooded capitalist, I respect this.

As for why people 'dislike' him. Well. He's a ham. He does entertainment survival. It's over hyped, unrealistic, and he wastes a ton of energy doing useless crap. Why? well, taking the safe and slow route doesn't look as good on TV as running, jumping, and biting the heads off salamanders.

It all makes for good TV. None of the survival shows is really honest about things. Some are better than others. But none of them are flat out, "this is how to really survive in the wild" shows. I'd love to see one done. Real skills, real people, real teaching. But it makes for crap TV, and it'd never make it to so much as a pilot. Hell even Les Stroud, who I consider the least BS of the lot, started a fire by shooting a gun into it. Really Les? Really? You've got the powder, and the primer. HIT IT WITH A ROCK. So none of the shows are BS free..... Bear just seems to make his out of pure BS from one end to the next. It's less of a hatred that people have for him, just kind of a humorous dismissal of him as a serious survivalist.

I finally started watching his show lately also. I have to tell some of those who I watch the show with what is valid survival and what is entertainment and/or plain stupid to do in a particular situation.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It looks like everyone in the knife business can give up now...this is the Ultimate Knife..says so right on the package.

Seriously though, good luck to Bear and Gerber, and pray no one hurts themselves out there with this stuff.

I believe Gerber said they were getting the handle issues squared away. That said, I will still never get one of these knives. I don't like the looks of them. (And I am not a fan of Gerbers)

Although I do like his TV show for the entertainment factor.

+1 :thumbup::thumbup:

Stores sell products that make money Bear's products sell to the masses since everyone knows his name ... whats so hard to understand.

If Gerber offered you a ton of cash to put your face/name on a blade even if you knew it was junk you would do it to provide for your family and Im sure thats mainly what happened here.

I think you need to remember its just TV and not get so tripped up in it all on what he does on TV, cause I have a feeling he has more real skills than most of the people in the world including this forum, but doesn't use them on TV since it makes for a boring show for the masses.

Everyone always talks crap about the guy and I think it gets old.

Stores sell products that make money Bear's products sell to the masses since everyone knows his name ... whats so hard to understand.

If Gerber offered you a ton of cash to put your face/name on a blade even if you knew it was junk you would do it to provide for your family and Im sure thats mainly what happened here.

I think you need to remember its just TV and not get so tripped up in it all on what he does on TV, cause I have a feeling he has more real skills than most of the people in the world including this forum, but doesn't use them on TV since it makes for a boring show for the masses.

Everyone always talks crap about the guy and I think it gets old.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back