Looking for a good Bowie

While flying with an instructor the other a day (a USMC Major) we were discussing knives (waiting for approach to get back to us... as usual) after telling him about some of the cool foreign knives I have he asked "why the hell don't you have a Bowie knife, you're an American" after realizing I couldn't argue with the logic I began looking at Bowies...

Top of my list is the Fallkniven NL1/NL2: beast of a blade but I sometimes see negative reviews on the VG10 saying it will chip out in the woods... their A1 Pro blade while less pleasing to the eye is in the running as well with its cobalt steel. Have to say I love the leather handles in the northern light series.

Next down in the Dustar model 1, Israeli made and haven't seen anything but positive reviews.

Coldsteel trailmaster: can't say I like coldsteel... something about the company just bothers me. I bought an axe of theirs and it wasn't very well made... but it seems many swear by them

SOG super bowie: looks impressive, seems a bit smaller than the others however.

Anyone have any experience with these blades/ other suggestions? Something Damascus would be awesome as well just it seems most of the Damascus I see I wouldn't trust..

Thanks a ton

While flying with an instructor the other a day (a USMC Major) we were discussing knives (waiting for approach to get back to us... as usual) after telling him about some of the cool foreign knives I have he asked "why the hell don't you have a Bowie knife, you're an American" after realizing I couldn't argue with the logic I began looking at Bowies...
Every bowie collection should include a Buck 119.
IMG_20170603_235713_zpsyarlxtin.jpg

_20170603_140852_zpsh68f8nn9.jpg

Normally, I'm not overly concerned with country of origin, as I believe that a good knife can be made anywhere, but if you're buying a Bowie because you're an Amecian and want that piece of Americana, I'd suggest sticking with American made. Just seems contrary to your goal to look at imports.

Bowie machetes are also really good to own. I have the Cold Steel bowie machete and it's one of my favorite blades to use.

regardless of perceived dislikes and negative images of the cold steel brand for some......the trailmaster is a lot of value and very well made. big chunk of 01 heat treated well for a decent price. for a user its a good pick. for a collection maybe not. depends on what ya want.

Look on the Wilson Combat website. There still might be one available.

Yikes, beautiful knife but $900 is a little more than I'm willing to spend on a blade.

Every bowie collection should include a Buck 119.
IMG_20170603_235713_zpsyarlxtin.jpg

_20170603_140852_zpsh68f8nn9.jpg

Seem like decent knives for the cost, though I like the side of the 120 better than the 119.

Normally, I'm not overly concerned with country of origin, as I believe that a good knife can be made anywhere, but if you're buying a Bowie because you're an Amecian and want that piece of Americana, I'd suggest sticking with American made. Just seems contrary to your goal to look at imports.

I don't care where its from, just want the design. After all Bowie's originate in England did they not? I just want quality.

Bowie machetes are also really good to own. I have the Cold Steel bowie machete and it's one of my favorite blades to use.

Not a huge fan of Cold Steel, if I was going to buy one of their pieces it would be their kukri (just to use in Hawaii on my Napali coast hikes I have a HI M43)

regardless of perceived dislikes and negative images of the cold steel brand for some......the trailmaster is a lot of value and very well made. big chunk of 01 heat treated well for a decent price. for a user its a good pick. for a collection maybe not. depends on what ya want.

Does seem like a higher quality piece compared to their other works, not a huge fan of synthetic handles though and from what I've seen the Fallkniven knives out perform the trailmaster.

Rip Gut is on the right track.The Buck 119 is a very good knife in that style for the money.
If you are like most folks around here one is not enough, I would suggest the 120 and 124 as well.

Seem like decent knives for the value.

I'm pretty sure the bowie knife originated in Arkansas. In my opinion the Bark River bowies are the most beautiful for the money.

There is quite a bit of debate over where they originate, they resemble British butcher knives along with Spanish knives of the era. No one knows if Jim Bowie actually designed it or not and they don't even know what the knife looks like! His brothers stories have holes in them...

Bowies are originated from the USA, specifically from Alamo Texas.

Debatable

Not here to debate the Bowie though just find some quality examples.

Ontario Marine Raider: best Bowie for the money hands down and one bad azz blade!!!

Solid looking knife for the price, have you put it through the ringer much? How is the handle? Very hesitant of synthetic handles, never been a fan.

Like the look of these, how good is the steel though? Do you own any?
A2 steel is supposed to be great. I must admit that I've never hard used my Bark River Bowies but they have a solid reputation. I own three from them; a Custom Bowie C, a Rogue Bowie and a Gambler Bowie. I have three because each time I buy one I think it's too pretty to use, put it in my display and eventually buy another to be a user only to put it in the display and repeat the process. :(

Back