• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Lost in the woods - Pick one of these knives!

TAH

Gold Member
Spyderco Paramilitary - S30V plain edge
Buck 110 - 420HC Edge 2X
Victorinox Farmer - includes woodsaw

These are three of my favorite knives. I've never been able to decide which one I'd like to find in my pocket if I was lost in the woods. Thought I'd get a collective opinion. :D

All things considered like resharpening without modern sharpeners, handle comfort, multi-function, etc.

Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

I would choose the Buck 110.

Very reliable.
Excellent at cutting.
Strong as any folder needs to be.
Time proven track record.
Extremely comfortable handle for long term cutting.
Easy to sharpen on nearly any stone.
Very rust resistant too.

Paramil.

Just because if I was alone in the woods it would be the most fun to play with.

All would preform fine I think though.

I would choose the Buck 110.

Very reliable.
Excellent at cutting.
Strong as any folder needs to be.
Time proven track record.
Extremely comfortable handle for long term cutting.
Easy to sharpen on nearly any stone.
Very rust resistant too.

I agree totally

I would go for the farmer, because not only can it saw smaller branches aiding in the construction of a shelter, the saw would also come in handy when making a figure 4 trap for small game and the like. I'm sure a 110 model is a hell of alot sturdier, but for sheer practicality I think the SAK is the best choice. This is all based on the fact that your lost with no food or other large knives etc by the way : P

A Dozier Model 6,a Large Classic Sebenza and a Gerber Multi Tool.

MPE

This is all based on the fact that your lost with no food or other large knives etc by the way : P

Your assumption is correct, D-Hawk.

One of my questions has always been - how much value is placed on having a SAK woodsaw over a knife with just a locking blade.

I would take a sturdy locking blade over the SAK. Don't get me wrong, I found my SAK to be a great knife, but it is rather lightweight.

The Para-Mil would last the longest I think but if I could take anything out in the woods it would be my RD-4.

mmmotorcycle

Farmer not only because of the saw but also the awl can be used to drill holes in wood and leather for making tools and weapons. Anyboody thats seen Ron Hoods Primitive Weapons dvd has seen that with a saw and an awl along with a knife blade you can make a decent little crossbow that would work on small game.

The 110 since I am a big 110 fan, but I think the Para-Military would be as good or better in that situation.

Actually either the Buck or Spyderco plus the SAK would be best.

Any limb that the SAK saw can saw through (in any type of reasonable amount of time) could likely be whittled through (or even broken by jambing between two close trees and torqued) with a good lockback, IMO.

Now, couple the SAK with something heavier such as <insert quality fixed blade here> or a machete or hatchet, and you have a winning combo.

Any limb that the SAK saw can saw through (in any type of reasonable amount of time) could likely be whittled through (or even broken by jambing between two close trees and torqued) with a good lockback, IMO.

But would it be more efficient to use the SAK woodsaw to saw through limbs and preserve the cutting edge of the blade for specific whittling tasks?

Give me the Paramil, the saw on the SAK is tempting, but I can cut anything I care to while in survival mode, perhaps not as neat.

Back