Lost in the woods - Pick one of these knives!

Here’s the tally so far:

Paramilitary – 4
Buck 110 – 4
Vic Farmer - 6 (Interestingly, the least expensive of the bunch)

Here’s the tally so far:

Paramilitary – 4
Buck 110 – 4
Vic Farmer - 6 (Interestingly, the least expensive of the bunch)

You'll find that more often than you might expect. There are many here that use/prefer SAK's, Moras, Sodbusters and the like to actual use in the field. Two of my favorite field knives cost less than $30.00 combined:rolleyes:

Ebayknives004.jpg
[/IMG]

Another vote for the Farmer.

Small, lightweight, a saw for branches rather than dulling the blade for the same purpose, field sharpening easier (IMHO), other tools (like the bottle opener) that can be used for prying and saving the blade.

A definite comfort in that situation

If the SAK doesn't lock, I'd pick one of the others. Doesn't matter which.

The Victorinox Trekker would be nice. The main blade locks and it has a small saw. SAK tweezers are always a handy thing to have around, but the rest of the blades would be of little use.

-Bob

For me hands down the Farmer . I do far more sawing then cutting in the woods now, (trimming shooting lanes) . The sak saw can cut through a 2x4.

For fire wood, shealter making and so forth I'll take a sak saw . But wait if you order by midnight also get an Awl, screwdrivers and a blade !

Farmer. Simple, easy to clean, corrosion resistant construction. Effective edge geometry and an extra thick blade. Screwdrivers can be sharpened into a chisel. Awl is a useful implement for various tasks and the saw really extends the abilities of the knife more than a lock would be able to.

Victorinox Farmer - includes woodsaw

That is in fact the knife that is a full-time resident of my hunting "survival pack." Actually, it's first cousin the Pioneer (i.e., an alox Soldier with a lanyard ring) is one of my EDCs. I have many better knives but they are not always the ones that I have on me.

Edited to add:
Wow, I answered before I read the thread. I never knew the Farmer was such a well-known knife - I thought I had found an obscure favorite. Looks like it's an open secret or no secret at all!

The SAK. The saw does the work (sort of) of a bigger knife. So... you have a woodcutter and a knife blade along with other goodies. I would rather have my SAK Rucksack with its longer saw and longer locking blade. I have a metal match hanging from the Rucksack. With this small package I feel prepared for a night or two out in the woods.

It's the Farmer for me. I like mine so much I may retire my Rucksack. I would greatly rather have any SAK with a saw over a single bladed locking folder when in the woods.

Let me go with the flow and say farmer.
My EDC is a farmer and I had a buck 110 a few years back, great knife no doubt. But it just ain't no farmer :0)

Why are you limited to only those knive? There are plenty of others I'd rather have although any of them would do in pinch.

Regards

Why are you limited to only those knive? There are plenty of others I'd rather have although any of them would do in pinch.

Regards

I believe he stated the reason in his original post:

"These are three of my favorite knives. I've never been able to decide which one I'd like to find in my pocket if I was lost in the woods. Thought I'd get a collective opinion."

Since everyone is so wild about having a wood saw, how about a multi-tool with interchangable saw blades :D

A saw blade, plus spare saw blades in the sheath.

Current tally:

Paramilitary - 4
Buck 110 - 4
Vic Farmer - 17 :eek:

I think I know which knife I'll throw in my pocket the next time I fly with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. :D

haha, the edge was a great movie. That folder Anothony had was pretty neat, I wonder what it was? Anyways, my vote is already in for the farmer, but honestly if I had my choice of small knives, It wouldnt be a knife at all. I would be carrying my Leatherman Charge TI. It has a 154cm blade, saw blade, metal and diamond file, scissors, pliers....anything you could imagine. To me this was like all of the good things about a SAK built into one heavy duty package with pliers....sorry I know this is OT, but I wanted to say it :p

haha, the edge was a great movie. That folder Anothony had was pretty neat, I wonder what it was?

To answer your question, the knife was a lockback made by Brian Lyttle (sp?). He's a Canadian maker who makes some VERY nice (and VERY expensive) knives. Good quality stuff.

I have to say that when I'm going into the woods on purpose I carry a fixed blade with me (the Mora is a good knife for this), however if I had to pick a knife to take with me EDC and I just happened to end up in the woods, I'd have to pick the 110. This is just because I think I could get a more workable edge on the 420 with field-expedient stuff than the S30V. I don't carry a sharpener with me all the time like I should :eek: , sad to say, though if I DID carry a good sharpener I'd go with the para just to save on the weight.

-Although being me, I tend to have a locking folder and a slipjoint on hand most days.

Back