• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Loveless Style Drop Point Hunters with Black Liners and Olive Canvas Micarta Handles

Hopefully Mr. Norfleet will recover quickly.
This is taken directly from his website:

As of July 21, 2008 due to ongoing health problems, I must now go on Intravenous Antibiotics for 8 weeks. I also take oral antibiotics and between the 2 of them I am extremely sick, too sick to endure the heat in the shop. My diagnosis was osteomyletis ( a bone infection ) which is the reason for the past 3 years the wound on the back of my leg would not heal. I have 2 options: One is to stay 3 days in the hospital and the rest in a nursing home to get the antibiotics or stay at home and pay cash. By the time everyone reads this I may have already chosen which option I will do. I just wanted everyone to know that I haven't forgot their knives or orders and I am trying to get some help in the shop to get the ones that are ready mailed and the ones that need finishing ready to mail. I received some of the knives back in the mail due to incorrect postage or printing so I am working on correcting that situation as well. I am doing what I can to get the jobs on the knives done but it is hard because of the extreme nausea that I am experiencing, along with the heat. I will have limited access to the Internet so I asked that everyone be patient with me as I go through these treatments to get rid of the infection.

Sincerely, Gilbert Norfleet, Jr.

G2Template_12.gif
G2Template_13.gif
spacer.gif

Two months later, still no knife. Anybody else?

Still waiting here also---

I've sent Mr. Norfleet several E-mails about this over the last few months.

The 1st I sent him was on July 1 as his original ad (he's changed it since then) stated that 3 of 6 knives were done + the remaining 3 would "ship out in June" :rolleyes: His response stated:

"I haven't mailed them out just yet. I have had some medical problems that are ongoing and had to go to the hospital for some x rays and bone scans and I haven't had time in the shop to finish up the sheaths but will be done with them soon, hopefully by the weekend."

I sent another E-mail Jul 14 (2 weeks later), pointing out yet another missed deadline + asking to please ship us knives now, sheaths whenever he got around to them (even offered to pay twice on the separate shipping charges), got a response stating:

"I am going to ship out both knife and sheath this week. I did manage to get everything done and am putting the finishing touches on everything despite all the doctor visits I had last week. I think you will be pleased."

Sent a third E-mail Jul 28 (2 weeks later) asking what the problem was now----no response so far.

edit---the " " text are cut + pastes of his E-mails to me. I'm starting to wonder if ANY knives were done at the time he posted the ad (MAY.)

My experience has been very similar to yours with some variations on the reasons for the delay. At this point I'd just be happy with a refund.

I understand that unforeseen health issues can arise and cause problems. I have sent Mr Norfleet my condolences and have asked him not to worry about the completion of my order since it appears to be a burden on his health. I have asked him to simply refund my payment. I am waiting for his reply. I wish him the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

I understand that unforeseen health issues can arise and cause problems. I have sent Mr Norfleet my condolences and have asked him not to worry about the completion of my order since it appears to be a burden on his health. I have asked him to simply refund my payment. I am waiting for his reply. I wish him the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

Wait a sec-----datsgor, jstroke, you-ksjumpmd, and myself so far confirmed we've received nothing, yet 3 of 6 were complete back in May when he posted this ad.

Even if 2 of the 3 three "complete" knives went to other members, then at least one of us (if he telling the truth) should have got their knife.....

The health problem excuses didn't start till July. June (for me at least) was knife/sheath excuses.

Heck, check out post # 21---he was working on ANOTHER batch back in the beginning of June. What about our paid orders for "complete" knives?

Maybe it's time for a Feedback:Good/Bad/Ugly post.....

I have had the same experience with Gilbert. I ordered a 5" utility 10/23/07 and did not receive it until 6/15/08. I was told that it would be ready and shipped on multiple dates, but health concerns of his or members of his family prevented this from happening. When I finally received the knife, it was very nice, but left a bad taste because of the missed promises. I had sent full payment back in Oct. and to much time had gone by to file a complaint with Paypal, so I relied on Gilberts word that he would deliver. He did. IMHO he promises to much and leaves doubt when his actions don't support his words. Yes, he is wheel chair bound, yes he has health concerns, yes he makes a good knife, but actions speak louder then words. He has over sold his time and now you guys are wondering what to do. This is not how a on going buniness should be run and a pattern of missing self imposed deadlines just pisses people off. I to wish him well, I just won't order from him again because there are to many other makers here that do a better job of getting their work into my hands in a timely manner. Wish all that have a order outstanding, get their knives soon, but I would not bank on based on my experience with him. Martin

I finally got acess to the Internet and was able to log in to this forum. I do apologize for imposing deadlines on myself and then not being able to meet them. I try to run a business as best as I can but first I just like to make knives as it takes my mind off the stupid wheelchair which I hate every day. The knives are all done and sitting in the shop and I am here in this facility and can't get to them to mail them out. I don't have anyone at home that knows how to get it done and I have all of my customers and their information and mailing addresses locked up because I value their privacy and for that reason no one but me is allowed to see any of my files. I also received back in the mail 3 of the knives because of a printing error. I mailed these before I got to this medical facility and I wouldn't have known about the knives coming back except for a good friend that picks up my mail while I am away. I am probably not the best business man in the world which is easy to see but I care deeply about each and everyone of you on this forum and I am going to give any and all of you a refund if that is what you want. I don't know if I can talk my friend through the process of sending refunds and I really don't want her into my files and I would have to give her my passwords and user names so she would be able to do anything in my accounts without my knowledge that is why I don't allow anyone in my emails or online accounts. I just want everyone to know that your money and your knives are of utmost importance to me and I would never intentionally take anyones money or not send them their knives on purpose, your friendship is much too valuable to me. I am signing off now and will try to get all my business with everyone straightened out very quickly. If all goes well I will be able to leave here and get back home and then home health nurses will be able to come to my house and administer the intravenous antibiotics at home if still needed. This osteomyletis is a very terrible thing and the antiobiotics are so strong that it has to go into your veins to get to the infection. They are also so powerful that after I get home and if I still need them I will only be able to get them from Nashville and they have to be delivered that day and must be kept refrigerated until used but that day may never come as I may be well when I leave this place I am in right now. I wasn't able to acess my email account from here so if anyone has sent me an email I will try on another computer to see if I can gain acess and read them. I promise everyone that I am trying very hard to get through this sickness and also getting the shop work done, it has really been rough, the nasuea being the worst of it for me. I should recovery quickly as soon as the infection is overcome by the antiobiotics. Even with my not getting things done on time and not meeting my deadlines I always get the knives and sheaths finished and I will never cheat anyone. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Still waiting here, too. No real hurry, but it would have been nice to have had a little more communication.

I hope you heal fast and well, Mr. Norfleet.

The prognosis is good and I am expecting a full recovery and the wound should heal quickly and I will be back in the shop FULL TIME!!! Hurray!!! I am trying to get the Dr to let me go home but all he will say is maybe in a few days. I am going to let my mother into my files this one time, I guess you can trust your mother if anyone. She is going to try to get things boxed up for me and mailed out but she is older now and it is hot in the shop so she may be a little slow but I am sure I can trust her to get the job done but I will talk her through most if it on the phone.

No knife here yet. Mr Norfleet, please check your private messages.

Last edited:
Now I see your (my?) knife on Ebay! How do you explain that you are selling knives on ebay and can't deliver to those that have already paid?

JS
"Norfleet Custom Knives Bird & Trout Knife Handmade
Loveless Style Bird & Trout FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!!!! Ebay Item number: 160269547394"

Now I see your (my?) knife on Ebay! How do you explain that you are selling knives on ebay and can't deliver to those that have already paid?

JS
"Norfleet Custom Knives Bird & Trout Knife Handmade
Loveless Style Bird & Trout FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!!!! Ebay Item number: 160269547394"

Well, those technically aren't our knives---different handle material, liners, etc.

Also the ad says that the seller is "selling them for a friend." So, again, officially it isn't Mr Norfleet doing the selling. Although for some reason the seller is shown as norfleetcustomknives :rolleyes:

All that said, it is a little strange that he somehow found someone he's willing to trust enough to sell his knives on E-bay using his own E-bay account name + password, yet in several months, somehow couldn't perform the simple task of boxing + shipping 6 "finished" knives.

I for one am tired of getting yet another long winded apology + explanation every 2 or so weeks.

I just want what I paid for---months ago.

Everyone will get their knives in the next 10 days or they will receive a full refund no questions asked. The 10 days will give me enough time to get these treatments done and back home from this health care facility and in the shop once again.

I bought a knife from Gilbert that was complete and it took a couple months to get. I can tell you I was not happy and I do not think I would buy another, but the knife that I did finally get is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I am terribly impatient and was frustrated with the same kind of stuff described in previous posts but I do not walk in Gilbert's shoes. I did end up with a stunning knife and all in all I think he is an honest if also somewhat poor businessman.

With all the frustration in the past I am happy that a have a Norfleet knife. Like I said I wouldn't do it again but glad I have the knife I have.

I did jump the gun when I saw the ebay listing and now see that it is a different knife. So my apologies for that. I will wait the 10 days and see what happens.

JS

Back