M-INFI question.

Hey dudes, can anyone tell me something about M-INFI. My main attraction to INFI is the rust-resistant property coupled with easy sharpen ability and decent edge retention. What would I be giving up if I went with something like a Basic 7 using M-INFI?

Nothing. I can't tell a difference between my B11 and my B9 in edge performance or rust resistance. Could be the same steel for how well they both work. :cool:
I think Modified INFI was created as the gateway drug with the (then) cheaper basics... once you get a taste you think "Mmmm... INFI" and you are hooked, forever buying much more expensive pieces. :eek: :D

Nothing. I can't tell a difference between my B11 and my B9 in edge performance or rust resistance. Could be the same steel for how well they both work. :cool:
I think Modified INFI was created as the gateway drug with the (then) cheaper basics... once you get a taste you think "Mmmm... INFI" and you are hooked, forever buying much more expensive pieces. :eek: :D

If it's pretty much the same and there is no advantage to the more expensive INFI why is it used? Busse knife owners clearly are willing to pay a high price for quality but surely people aren't going to waste money on something that has no value.

+1 for Tim's observation.
You really can't tell the difference.
The basic 7 is an excellent all around knife and nice and light!!
LOVE my Basics!!!

M-INFI was originally intended to be a lower cost alloy, so that Busse could offer the Basic series at a lower price point. That experiment/marketing exercise did not prove succesful, and INFI became the one and only signature steel of the Busse Combat Knife Co. My guess is that Jerry was able to address the cost issue by economy of scale; buying larger amounts of steel as business grew and increasing automation in the shop to lower cost of production.

One Day Jerry will tell the Whole Story of INFI and M-INFI Both are Special and have a Place in The Busse Combat Knife Company Story, it has been More than 10 years and while I see no possible Harm in the Telling of the story, it is Jerry's Story to tell not Mine.

Well if Papathud does'nt feel right telling the tale I will pass as well ... but take it from those who know ... M-Infi is every bit as good as Infi on the performance levels I have encountered ...

It was'nt that M Infi was'nt up to snuff ... more that it was just about as expensive ... the only difference is one ingredient ... so in the end it was just logical to go with Infi ...

It seems everyone loves their basic's so I don't worry about it. Would be nice to hear the story about it!

If you like INFI you will Like M-INFI, you will not notice any difference, it takes a Laboratory or a Whole lot of Side by Side use to notice any Difference.

M-Infi also has a great destruction testing results, so no worry there.

I wanted to hear it was a tuffer steel and from what i hear and above post said I feel better beatting the crap out off mine. Well one day!

If it's pretty much the same and there is no advantage to the more expensive INFI why is it used? Busse knife owners clearly are willing to pay a high price for quality but surely people aren't going to waste money on something that has no value.
INFI was being used in the Busse line (SHBM, SHSHII, and others) when M-INFI was introduced in the original Basic series (B3, B5, B7, B9) – the Basics were less expensive than comparable INFI models. If I remember correctly, the supply of M-INFI ran out, and it would have been too costly to replace it, so that was about when Swamp Rat came into existence to offer a lower-cost alternative to INFI.

Also as I recall, chemical analyses of INFI & M-INFI have been done (do a search here), and IIRC, INFI has one additional element, cobalt. Assuming this is true, it would certainly explain the very similar performance.

Gene

Well if Papathud does'nt feel right telling the tale I will pass as well ... but take it from those who know ... M-Infi is every bit as good as Infi on the performance levels I have encountered ...

It was'nt that M Infi was'nt up to snuff ... more that it was just about as expensive ... the only difference is one ingredient ... so in the end it was just logical to go with Infi ...

Hey Peter,
I just got a line an unused Basic 7 but my enthusiasm diminished when I noticed that it appears to have no useable choil. The sage version that I missed out on a few weeks ago had a smaller than normal choil but it looked like it was usable. The teensy choil on the one I found today wouldn't even fit a finger tip (it would fit a fire steel and that's about it). BTW, I was looking at TGLB again and it looks like the choil on that one might actually be sharp enough for a fire steel. Do you by any chance know?

Last edited:
INFI was being used in the Busse line (SHBM, SHSHII, and others) when M-INFI was introduced in the original Basic series (B3, B5, B7, B9) – the Basics were less expensive than comparable INFI models. If I remember correctly, the supply of M-INFI ran out, and it would have been too costly to replace it, so that was about when Swamp Rat came into existence to offer a lower-cost alternative to INFI.

Also as I recall, chemical analyses of INFI & M-INFI have been done (do a search here), and IIRC, INFI has one additional element, cobalt. Assuming this is true, it would certainly explain the very similar performance.

Gene

So only the Basic lines was made in infi-M?

And as for there not being anymore how do they keep poppin out new Basics? Unless they cut a large # of blanks and they are still going through them?

Hey Peter,
I just got a line an unused Basic 7 but my enthusiasm diminished when I noticed that it appears to have no useable choil. The sage version that I missed out on a few weeks ago had a smaller than normal choil but it looked like it was usable. The teensy choil on the one I found today wouldn't even fit a finger tip (it would fit a fire steel and that's about it). BTW, I was looking at TGLB again and it looks like the choil on that one might actually be sharp enough for a fire steel. Do you by any chance know?

The original Basic's came with the "elf choil" ... which as you say is ideal for a fire steel but not for a choked grip using your finger in the same manner as a full choil ...

For my preferences ... I am happy with the elf choil ... for me the smaller the blade then the more I might want either a full choil or ideally no choil at all and the edge coming as close to the grip as it can ... but with a larger blade this is less of an issue ... I can still do delicate work with my Basic 9 and feel I could do the same with a Basic 7.

I don't have a TGLB so cannot say whether the choil angles are sharp enough for a fire steel. The Basic 7's should be ...

So only the Basic lines was made in infi-M?

And as for there not being anymore how do they keep poppin out new Basics? Unless they cut a large # of blanks and they are still going through them?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but weren't the basics from this past Blade 2012 Infi not M-Infi? I was told that my all sage Basic 9 is Infi not M-infi. But it also has a 10" blade and oal 15 1/8".

Someone correct me if I am wrong but weren't the basics from this past Blade 2012 Infi not M-Infi? I was told that my all sage Basic 9 is Infi not M-infi. But it also has a 10" blade and oal 15 1/8".
You are correct – the sage Basic 7's & 9's from Blade 2012 are INFI. Production ceased on the original Basics in about 2001. I bought my first Busse, a Basic 9, in late 2001 before the supply dried up (the Basics were available from many internet knife dealers back then). All of the original Basics have black handles, and most have black blades (I remember seeing a photo of an early satin Basic on a sales flyer). The earliest Basics have a smooth finish on the blades, and the later ones have the crinkle finish (same as the SHBM and other models).

You mentioned something I had not noticed for a long time – the Basic 9 has a 10" blade (I wonder why it was not called a Basic 10 :)). The tip profiles are different on the Basic 9 & 10.

Gene

Back