M390 810-1401 Contego

I was reading on Benchmade's forum that the second batch of 40 started shipping on 1/23 and were mostly black with blue scales and the next batch of 100 will be shipping a few weeks after, so hopefully we are close.

I was reading on Benchmade's forum that the second batch of 40 started shipping on 1/23 and were mostly black with blue scales and the next batch of 100 will be shipping a few weeks after, so hopefully we are close.

Ah, so mine will probably be mostly black...

I want another one in mostly black to compliment the mostly blue I got last month. Called Knifeworks and the cs rep on the phone said selecting color is no-go. Bummer. Maybe later in the year they will have time to select a black one for a customer. Probably still a very high demand so they are not worried about repeat customers on this one.

The issue is we have 150 of these being delivered today and almost 150 pre orders that will be shipped out today. We simply cannot inspect each knife and match them to a specific customers request. That's the reason we listed the note:
"Due to the layering of the 2 colors G10 and when machined, Each knife may be slightly different in color on the handle, One may have a little more blue or a little more black in the handle. We will not be able to go through and pick these out for preferred handles."
We placed an order for another 200 this week, but we will not know how they look until they arrive. Like todays order. Hope this helps! KW

Thanks for the note, Roger. I understand that demand must be very high for these right now -they are sweet. Like I wrote, I'll probably just wait until demand simmers down later in the year and see about getting another then.

Thanks for the cool exclusive Contego.

The issue is we have 150 of these being delivered today and almost 150 pre orders that will be shipped out today. We simply cannot inspect each knife and match them to a specific customers request. That's the reason we listed the note:
"Due to the layering of the 2 colors G10 and when machined, Each knife may be slightly different in color on the handle, One may have a little more blue or a little more black in the handle. We will not be able to go through and pick these out for preferred handles."
We placed an order for another 200 this week, but we will not know how they look until they arrive. Like todays order. Hope this helps! KW
Not a problem! For me it's about the blade steel anyway. I would have been happy with the handle being exactly the same as the standard Contego. Having blue/black handles is just a bonus in my book.

And... this knife needs a complementary little brother, you know... a Rift in M390... ;) :D

I did a quick random check before these shipped out and the majority are more black like the last batch with blue on the sides of the scales.
Just to up-date.

I got my confirmation email today. This bad boy is on it's way. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Post some pics when you receive them...I should have my tracking number tomorrow.

It will most likely be the black with blue on the edges. I plan on getting some Ti spacers for the back, and finding some way to anodize them blue to match the scales.

It will most likely be the black with blue on the edges. I plan on getting some Ti spacers for the back, and finding some way to anodize them blue to match the scales.
If you could PM me your source for Ti spacers it would be greatly appreciated.

I got mine a few hours ago. Scales are mostly black. Blade is super sharp, but wasn't centered perfectly, but I fixed that. It looks like this will be my EDC for a long time. The scales and jimping aren't quite as sharp as my all black Contego. Busy today so no pics. Maybe tomorrow.

I am really hoping to get one with the brighter blue. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.
Maybe I should have waited for the next run?

Anyway, do these come with the deep pocket silver SS clip as shown in the picture?
And can they be returned if the handle is not what I'm expecting to receive?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am really hoping to get one with the brighter blue. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow.
Maybe I should have waited for the next run?

Anyway, do these come with the deep pocket silver SS clip as shown in the picture?
And can they be returned if the handle is not what I'm hoping to receive?

Thanks

They do come with the silver deep carry clip (standard 810 clip. The black clip comes on the 810bk). If you don't get the color you want, you can try to exchange them with someone on the forums. Knifeworks was very clear that the colors are not in their control and they would not hand pick them. If you return it you will once again be subjected to the luck of the draw. With as many of these as Roger is getting in, it really isn't fair to his staff to make them sort through all the knives to match blue for one person, black for another and end up with unhappy customers if a couple get mixed up or if they run out of the desired color.

That being said I don't care what color scales I have, so if someone wants predominantly black scales I am willing to swap with them.. I will be perfectly content to keep the scales I have since it's about the blade steel for me.

They do come with the silver deep carry clip (standard 810 clip. The black clip comes on the 810bk). If you don't get the color you want, you can try to exchange them with someone on the forums. Knifeworks was very clear that the colors are not in their control and they would not hand pick them. If you return it you will once again be subjected to the luck of the draw. With as many of these as Roger is getting in, it really isn't fair to his staff to make them sort through all the knives to match blue for one person, black for another and end up with unhappy customers if a couple get mixed up or if they run out of the desired color.

That being said I don't care what color scales I have, so if someone wants predominantly black scales I am willing to swap with them.. I will be perfectly content to keep the scales I have since it's about the blade steel for me.

I hear what your saying. I would think a company like Benchmade would be able to produce what is shown in the picture of what they are selling.

I hear what your saying. I would think a company like Benchmade would be able to produce what is shown in the picture of what they are selling.

Some do have blue as the top layer, and those look like the pre-order picture. Folks have posted pictures of their knives that look like it. Benchmade doesn't make their own G10, so they are limited to what they have available.

Back