"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Another T.E.W I picked up very recently, I kinda wanted this one when I saw it- its a neat older ( not ALL that old ) example.
Iron Bolsters, Hammered Iron Pins, Nice Jigged Bone, someone wasn't quite up to Sharpening their Knife, and I would very much like to Slap people upon finding them doing this lol, but all the Blade is still there with sharpening Marks- so this Knife carries it's History - and I think it carries it well.
TAYLOR, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND stamped on the Tang, with the Real Eye Witness Stamping on the Blade ( it is stamped and not etched ), Nice Sharp Swage work- although this doesnt show all that well in the Photo's Strong Spring on this Ol Girl.
I like it very much, not the best Photos people - I apologise about that.

The two following photos in bright sunlight - I am trying to capture the Nice Colours within the Jig and Bone...

juO4xRO.jpg

bz5W4Wn.jpg

9i3vF36.jpg

FIjjIvv.jpg

U1I90f7.jpg

xLxHyLB.jpg
Thank you very much for the photos of any and all of the Taylors Eye Witness pieces that you have my friend . IMO they are absolutely some very well built pieces . I have never came across the Peach Pruner ( or what some people would call an Ettrick ) .

Harry

Harry, Long time no "talk " :)

Harry, I have mistakenly taken some Peach Pruners to be Etrricks in the past.

Those are Beauties, I think you have shown the Stunning Curved one- but my friend, you can display that one to us every day and we would Love it!

Harry, Long time no "talk " :)

Harry, I have mistakenly taken some Peach Pruners to be Etrricks in the past.

Those are Beauties, I think you have shown the Stunning Curved one- but my friend, you can display that one to us every day and we would Love it!
Yes , it has been too long since we have my friend .
I know that I can tell the difference between a Peach Pruner and an Ettrick . Without ever having either pattern in hand , I have never seen the difference other than maybe a longer Handle to Blade Ratio on an Ettrick .
With warmer weather , I will be carrying my $28 Stag Pruner on a fairly regular basis . So " Hold onto your Beer " and watch for it .

Edited to add : There is that difference between a Pruner Blade vs a Wharncliffe Blade .

Harry

Last edited:
I had to go to page 8 to find this thread. I reviewed back a few pages, many great knives. Here are a couple I just picked up. A Rodgers swell center congress whittler. Just marked Rodgers (not Joseph Rodgers). However, I assume it is a Joseph Rodgers due to the star and cross on the back of each blade and the No 6 Norfolk St stamp on one of the pen blades. It is stamped England on the back of the master blade.
RIMG2686.JPGRIMG2669.JPGRIMG2659.JPGRIMG2681.JPGRIMG2685.JPGRIMG2682.JPGRIMG2684.JPGRIMG2683.JPG

The second one I picked up was a IXL George Wostenholm Celebrated Cutlery whittler. All three blades are stamped. No England anywhere, allthough, I do realize that this does not necessarily mean older than 1891 if the knife was not made for export to the US. The seller threw this one in along with the purchase of 5 other knives.

RIMG2687.JPGRIMG2670.JPGRIMG2674.JPGRIMG2677.JPGRIMG2679.JPG

Superb knives Danno, I'd welcome such examples into the fold with glee.
Especially dig the IXL, I'm a sucker for a through tang long pull and ivory, fit is beautiful on both as well.

Heres a Christopher Johnson Western Works flag knife. Its old and a touch battered but came good with some tlc, snap has been restored and has proven to hold a fantastic edge. The pick and tweezers are present too.
It's getting a lot of pocket time, love the sleek lines. Blade etch is still visible too.

Unusual design, only have one other like it, not exactly sure why it has no spacing liner...
Suppose its easier to clean the blade well but its gotta be less structurally strong without it. You also have the tangs bearing on each other rather than on brass. Have a friend with an identical model from Haywoods so its factory. Beautiful knife all the same but I did consider making a liner before reassembling it..

F Mordan & Co. A "splitback whitter", love this pattern. Well built and i love the characterful stag. Theres a couple Mordans listed but I believe this is a rare enough knife as they mostly produced writing pens, but I could be well off.
If Jack Black chances across this post perhaps he can inform? Theres something a bit different about this to other similar knives.

Love a good Wade Wingfield and Rowbotham. This oldie has seen little use until now. This size is a winner for actual everyday use for me.

The JW Cowlishaw I replaced a blade on deserves a mention here. Beautiful piece.

Apologies if I've alread posted this, unsure.
Slide the ambidextrous button rivet and thw blade opens as the tang is slotted/geared to the "backspring". Marvellous little fella which is slick once i decrudded and oiled it. Seems real tortoise too.

I didn't realise I had got behind with this thread! :eek: :cool:

Really nice knives guys, enjoying this thread since i discovered it.
This old Lockkwoods is in my pocket a lot, clean and square, good steel, lovely swedge and stag, whats not to love.

Forgot this fine fella.
Those are beautiful Ed :cool: :thumbsup:
I had to go to page 8 to find this thread. I reviewed back a few pages, many great knives. Here are a couple I just picked up. A Rodgers swell center congress whittler. Just marked Rodgers (not Joseph Rodgers). However, I assume it is a Joseph Rodgers due to the star and cross on the back of each blade and the No 6 Norfolk St stamp on one of the pen blades. It is stamped England on the back of the master blade.
View attachment 1819275View attachment 1819276View attachment 1819277View attachment 1819279View attachment 1819280View attachment 1819282View attachment 1819283View attachment 1819284
Yes, definitely a Joseph Rodgers Dan, they used that tang stamp commonly :) Lovely knife :thumbsup:

Here's the female version! :D ;) :thumbsup:

PpWHOri.jpg

mKdfTdG.jpg

The second one I picked up was a IXL George Wostenholm Celebrated Cutlery whittler. All three blades are stamped. No England anywhere, allthough, I do realize that this does not necessarily mean older than 1891 if the knife was not made for export to the US. The seller threw this one in along with the purchase of 5 other knives.

View attachment 1819285View attachment 1819286View attachment 1819287View attachment 1819288View attachment 1819289
Fine Three-Blade Penknife Dan :) :thumbsup:
Superb knives Danno, I'd welcome such examples into the fold with glee.
Especially dig the IXL, I'm a sucker for a through tang long pull and ivory, fit is beautiful on both as well.

Heres a Christopher Johnson Western Works flag knife. Its old and a touch battered but came good with some tlc, snap has been restored and has proven to hold a fantastic edge. The pick and tweezers are present too.
It's getting a lot of pocket time, love the sleek lines. Blade etch is still visible too.

Very handsome Ed :) :thumbsup:

Unusual design, only have one other like it, not exactly sure why it has no spacing liner...
Suppose its easier to clean the blade well but its gotta be less structurally strong without it. You also have the tangs bearing on each other rather than on brass. Have a friend with an identical model from Haywoods so its factory. Beautiful knife all the same but I did consider making a liner before reassembling it..
Not uncommon on Sheffield knives, it saves space with multiple blades, and also saves brass of course ;) :thumbsup:

F Mordan & Co. A "splitback whitter", love this pattern. Well built and i love the characterful stag. Theres a couple Mordans listed but I believe this is a rare enough knife as they mostly produced writing pens, but I could be well off.
If Jack Black chances across this post perhaps he can inform? Theres something a bit different about this to other similar knives.
Interesting City Road stamp Ed, and it's a nice knife :cool: I'm afraid I don't know the firm. As you say, S. Mordan of City Road produced pens (also see here). That could be a contract knife they had made, but the initial is wrong. Definitely F. Mordan? City Road is a very long road, and I think it's pretty certain it would have had a number of cutlers, so perhaps another firm?

Love a good Wade Wingfield and Rowbotham. This oldie has seen little use until now. This size is a winner for actual everyday use for me.

The JW Cowlishaw I replaced a blade on deserves a mention here. Beautiful piece.
Fantastic :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Apologies if I've alread posted this, unsure.
Slide the ambidextrous button rivet and thw blade opens as the tang is slotted/geared to the "backspring". Marvellous little fella which is slick once i decrudded and oiled it. Seems real tortoise too.
That's an interesting piece isn't it? :cool:

As per usual, I have a huge pile of Sheffield knives to fettle! Not because I'm still buying lots of them, (though I buy them when and where I can), but because I've gotten lazy, or "time poor"! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Here's one I don't think I've posted here before :thumbsup:

zXtGHC9.jpg

WUbtXff.jpg

EXf0frK.jpg

Jack regarding the City Road, it appears to be F or R Mordan best I can tell.
I love your ivory budding knife by Brooksbank. Just two pins, smart.
I have a Howarth tenon saw somewhere down the man cave iirc. Beautiful horn, what do you call that kind of horn (I'm wide open for being made a fool of lol). I have an IXL with similar.

Atrociously poor photography skills aside, this one is a stunner.

And in case you hadn't spotted it...

I'm assuming sales man sample?
Thought the liners were gold but can't be for the volume of liner and weight of the knife.
Everything is polished incl the blade well, pearl is thick and iridescent, shame I can't take a decent photo.

J&R Dodge Juste Judicato carving knife in double shear steel.
With the current info i would date it between ~1870 and 1890.

Jack regarding the City Road, it appears to be F or R Mordan best I can tell.
I love your ivory budding knife by Brooksbank. Just two pins, smart.
I have a Howarth tenon saw somewhere down the man cave iirc. Beautiful horn, what do you call that kind of horn (I'm wide open for being made a fool of lol). I have an IXL with similar.

Atrociously poor photography skills aside, this one is a stunner.

And in case you hadn't spotted it...

I'm assuming sales man sample?
Thought the liners were gold but can't be for the volume of liner and weight of the knife.
Everything is polished incl the blade well, pearl is thick and iridescent, shame I can't take a decent photo.
Forum is busy today, I nearly missed this! :eek: Thanks Ed, I don't think that horn has an official name. I guess one might call it feathered horn perhaps? 🤷‍♂️ Westby made a fine knife, and that is a beauty, and unusual. I've seen a lot of Ruler knives, a popular Sheffield pattern, but I haven't seen one with MOP covers before. Both my grandmother and great grandmother worked at Chesterman's, along with an uncle, and possibly other relatives, as Bow Works was just down the road from us, and where my mother's side of the family had lived for several generations. Here's a regular Westby Ruler Knife, the nicest of the 3 Westby Ruler Knives I own, I think. Apologies for my own photography :thumbsup:

uodY6lh.jpg

Vwfe8no.jpg

y7hzuSv.jpg

AIS4WMC.jpg

k3voeh8.jpg

Back