"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

It doesn't take long to bring a thin blade from dull to sharp, I spent most of my time straightening the sheepsfoot, as seen on the right it had a hint of a belly when I got it. Left is how it is now, with a patina coming along too.

I like a manicure blade as well, they come in handy when a fingernail needs attention. Your Nodder looks like the removal of the nubs transformed it into a nice carry knife, beautiful bone:thumbsup:

Gs9KneW.jpeg

Rockman the thinner edge and slim profile of that knife makes it very useful imo. The big whittler I posted above took quite some time to establish an edge on the main so thick was the steel. If bet I had a knife like yours it would be shaving in under five mins if I found a similar one blunt.
Here is an old John Nodder 4 blade (congress?) I slimmed down to two blade as the right handed owner had worn all but the left handed blades to mere stumps.

The thin blade stock means it slices deliciously and sharpens so easily. The addition of a sharp pen blade makes yours the "prefect carry" but I do love a manicuring blade:)

It doesn't take long to bring a thin blade from dull to sharp, I spent most of my time straightening the sheepsfoot, as seen on the right it had a hint of a belly when I got it. Left is how it is now, with a patina coming along too.

I like a manicure blade as well, they come in handy when a fingernail needs attention. Your Nodder looks like the removal of the nubs transformed it into a nice carry knife, beautiful bone:thumbsup:

Gs9KneW.jpeg
Thats a lovely job you did taking out the belly there, laser straight and looks a good edge.
The J Nodder gives my left thumb a workout lol.

An intresting one, at least for me and possibly one the earliest examples I'm minding.

According to Tweedale's John Roberts was a Cutler in the first half of the 1800's and left for America in 49 and went on to found the New York Knife Co with likeminded new cutler immigrants in Matteawan New York.
Seemed to be a pretty radical fella and was deep in the Chartist movement. Good for him, from reading on it it seemed a noble aim if an unorganised effort nationwide.
If anyone can direct me to more specific info on the founding of the New York knife Co I'd love to read it.

Abram Brooksbank aluminium scales that's all but invisible in the pocket. Each blade stamped both sides with great fit and sunken joints.

Anyone have any clue on a C.T.S & Co quill knife? If it's not relevant to the thread I'll pull it.

After a decent search I can find nada.

Thats a lovely job you did taking out the belly there, laser straight and looks a good edge.
The J Nodder gives my left thumb a workout lol.

An intresting one, at least for me and possibly one the earliest examples I'm minding.

According to Tweedale's John Roberts was a Cutler in the first half of the 1800's and left for America in 49 and went on to found the New York Knife Co with likeminded new cutler immigrants in Matteawan New York.
Seemed to be a pretty radical fella and was deep in the Chartist movement. Good for him, from reading on it it seemed a noble aim if an unorganised effort nationwide.
If anyone can direct me to more specific info on the founding of the New York knife Co I'd love to read it.

Love the jigging/scratting on this one, very unusual.

Love the jigging/scratting on this one, very unusual.
Thanks Augie.
How much (generally speaking) of the dna of the Sheffield style of knife making is found in early US knives considering the cross-over of workforce?
From looking at yours and others US examples from the same period theres a clear difference in style to my untrained eye?

One worthy of the thread perhaps, a lovely hand worn J. Petty.

Yet come across a bad ART example from Butler. You'll be needing whatever vitamin strengthens you thumbnail:)

A couple of stunners there Ed :cool: I think I need to go back, and get caught up with this thread! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Jack, an Ibberson with a G4 liner stamp, can you shed any light?

I'm afraid not, prior to the cutlers using their initials and the year, the stamps were the tool stamp assigned to each worker. Even Stan didn't know who the individual stamps related to :thumbsup:

I see, do I remember correctly reading a post of yours somewhere that non use of the initial/date stamp (namely the g4 and the like) ceased mid to late thirties?

I see, do I remember correctly reading a post of yours somewhere that non use of the initial/date stamp (namely the g4 and the like) ceased mid to late thirties?
Possibly, if so that would be in the Marmalade Sandwich thread I suspect, and based on what Stan had told me at the time. The post would be better than my memory, but I think that would be about right ie pre-WW2. Certainly it was before Stan was making knives himself. Between 1939 and 1945, Ibberson's only did 'war work', and I don't think the liners on clasp knives would have been marked, the ones I have certainly aren't :thumbsup:

I'm afraid not, prior to the cutlers using their initials and the year, the stamps were the tool stamp assigned to each worker. Even Stan didn't know who the individual stamps related to :thumbsup:

Possibly, if so that would be in the Marmalade Sandwich thread I suspect, and based on what Stan had told me at the time. The post would be better than my memory, but I think that would be about right ie pre-WW2. Certainly it was before Stan was making knives himself. Between 1939 and 1945, Ibberson's only did 'war work', and I don't think the liners on clasp knives would have been marked, the ones I have certainly aren't :thumbsup:
Super, thanks so much. A friend has an ivorine exam and we're trying to nail down a date and specific cutler if possible.

I've got one by W.Morton & Sons. I just did a search of this thread to see if it qualifies, and found the very first post is of a Morton, so I guess it's okay. ;)

Four inches long; it's a big slab of ivory, with coined liners, so pretty fancy. I don't know if this would be called a Bartenders Knife, or maybe a Sportsmans knife? The term "multi-tool" is more modern, I think.

The reverse tang stamps are either "hand forged" or the image of a set of scales, which I believe was their logo.

NR2FczS.jpg

d3zR3sd.jpg

o1rPeBA.jpg

e55iZ56.jpg

r8shell r8shell Very nice colouration on the springs, a blackening patina probably from prolonged but careful use, contrasts well with the coined liners.

Initially, I thought a sommelier's knife or some bar aspect given the corkscrew and openers (the bottle opener looks like it could act as foil or wire cutter on wines?) But why the drill like tool? And why has the 'file' -very small - got a hole through it? The Master blade snapped off, wonder what it was? Spear seems likely .Very interesting example.

r8shell r8shell

Initially, I thought a sommelier's knife or some bar aspect given the corkscrew and openers (the bottle opener looks like it could act as foil or wire cutter on wines?) But why the drill like tool? And why has the 'file' -very small - got a hole through it? The Master blade snapped off, wonder what it was? Spear seems likely .Very interesting example.
Yes, I have all the same questions regarding the assortment of tools. I'm not very familiar with the pattern, so I've been image searching bartender/sportsman/coachman knives, but haven't come across this exact configuration yet.

I've got one by W.Morton & Sons. I just did a search of this thread to see if it qualifies, and found the very first post is of a Morton, so I guess it's okay. ;)

Four inches long; it's a big slab of ivory, with coined liners, so pretty fancy. I don't know if this would be called a Bartenders Knife, or maybe a Sportsmans knife? The term "multi-tool" is more modern, I think.

The reverse tang stamps are either "hand forged" or the image of a set of scales, which I believe was their logo.

NR2FczS.jpg

d3zR3sd.jpg

o1rPeBA.jpg

e55iZ56.jpg
Nice Champagne Knife Rachel, interesting find :thumbsup:

VbBufIT.jpg

Back