Magnacut campsword/ extra long Bowie

So here's my new thread where I'll be discussing more design details and share some sketches of ideas I have for it once I figure out how to drop pictures in posts on this forum.

In mean time I can just try to explain the handle as this is what I really want to cover most sense it's been really hard to find someone to do it and explain it in a way that makes sense.

So to start the handle has two designs, I really don't care which way it gets done but would like to stick close to one of the two ways of doing it for appearance sake and good grip.

So the first way was a stacked handle design with rings of G10 alternating with rings of weather and UV resistant rubber, the rings would form an almost pole or rod shaped handle with it being thicker in the middle than at the top or bottom but the rubber rings would always be a little bigger than the g10 rings immediately in the front and back/ adjacent to them.

The second way is with scales of suretouch machieced out of blocks of the matiral to be more round almost half moon shaped in appearance if looking at it dead on from the pummel, in addion to this I'd want some kind of grooves filed into the material for additional grip.

Once again, I'll post a couple pics if someone can share which image hosting site works with this forum and if I'm suppose to imbed only part or all of the HTML.

I tried IMGBB but it didn't work.

Hmm, never heard of that website before and it has a lot of adds, not a fan of sites with tons of pop ups....

I don't know maybe I'll make an account there later, not sure.

If you're a maker I have no problem sending my design via email to you and we can discuss it that way too, cause I'm really not sure if I want to bother with that site.

You guys can ask me anything you want about it though and I'll do my best to explain design features, I actually think it's more important to explain the handle design more so than show it anyways because my blue print of the handle isn't a perfect illustration of it anyways, and was originally drawn just to showcase a hidden tang with threads at the end, not the exact size and placement of the rings of material, and to perspective makers that might want to take on this project I think it's better I explain first before showing my drawing because they may automatically think I'm going for a perfect rounded pole shape of a handle just looking at the blue print when that's not really the case.

Hmm, never heard of that website before and it has a lot of adds, not a fan of sites with tons of pop ups....

Another option then is to purchase a Gold Membership here on Bladeforums for $30/year and directly upload your photos from whatever device you are using.

Also, with a paid membership here, you no longer will see the ads on Bladeforums either.

Direct link to paid subscription:

I use Postimage as picture posting

Without images this is all just wasted time.........

Aside from suggesting you use AEB-L, I'm also going to suggest using Terotuf as a handle scale material.
It's durable, and somewhat shock absorbing.

ah, that's how you do it, thanks whereismyknife.

I was trying to imbed it using the "insert image" option before, that's why it didn't work.

Last edited:
I use Postimage as picture posting

Without images this is all just wasted time.........

Aside from suggesting you use AEB-L, I'm also going to suggest using Terotuf as a handle scale material.
It's durable, and somewhat shock absorbing.
hmm, Terotuf, never heard of this stuff before, tell me more.

Is it anything like suretouch?

You can inline pics like this: get the JPG link (right click on pic), then do

[ IMG ] LINK_TO_JPG_FILE [ / IMG ] (spaces removed)

Outcome:

handle.jpg

That way people don't have to click on some link which they know nothing about (i.e. security risk).

Excited to follow your project.

Your sketch doesn't match your description "thicker in the middle than at the top or bottom". Also, assuming you plan to use it a lot, you need to think about comfort. I would make more of the depressions, but narrower and less deep.

I'd like to see the rest of the design...

Your sketch doesn't match your description "thicker in the middle than at the top or bottom". Also, assuming you plan to use it a lot, you need to think about comfort. I would make more of the depressions, but narrower and less deep.

I'd like to see the rest of the design...
Yea, I thought I said the blueprint wasn't totally accurate to how I wanted the finished piece and that's why it was better to describe it it in text. Now what this is good for is illustrating is the segmentation and how it's a hidden tang design with it threaded at the end of the tang.

"I would make more of the depressions, but narrower and less deep."

Yes, very good idea, thanks for the advice!

I'll post some sketches of the rest later for you to check out.

Are you a maker by any chance?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a hobbyist maker (without as much time as I'd like), so I look at your design from the point of view of someone trying to execute the build.

Yes, I'm a hobbyist maker (without as much time as I'd like), so I look at your design from the point of view of someone trying to execute the build.
Have you made long blades before? I'm not sure how much time you have but if you could just make the blade I could find someone else to make the handle, we could even send it off to Paul Bos for heat treat to save you time.

I have no issue separating the work load out like that if it gets it done.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have too many in progress at the moment, but don't worry, there are lots of people on here who might be up to the challenge. I look forward to seeing the rest of the design.

hmm, Terotuf, never heard of this stuff before, tell me more.

Is it anything like suretouch?
It's better.

If it has a "flaw" it collects dirt, makes the handles look dirty. But for a USER it has really good grip.

I'm sorry I have too many in progress at the moment, but don't worry, there are lots of people on here who might be up to the challenge. I look forward to seeing the rest of the design.
Lets hope so, been trying to find a maker for a little over a year now.

My hope with this thread is to clear up any misconceptions with the design and gather up ideas from others on how to make something as close to what I envisioned but as efficiently as possible to save time.

Cause that's what some makers told me at times was that they probably could do it but it was always a time thing, but there's enough smart people on here that I'm sure some ideas could be come up with on how to save time and still make it look awesome.

One very important factor in handle design for a sword is that it should be oval rather than round like a broomstick, otherwise it will be more likely to shift in the hand when swinging it, with the result that the edge can be misaligned from where it was intended to be on contact.

One very important factor in handle design for a sword is that it should be oval rather than round like a broomstick, otherwise it will be more likely to shift in the hand when swinging it, with the result that the edge can be misaligned from where it was intended to be on contact.
Yea that was something David Mary told me, ever since that time I was thinking of making modifications to the rings to be more oval in shape, or if I go with scales looking at it dead on from the pummel they'd look more like squished half moon shape, more round than a typical scale but not quite broom stick or pole shaped.

Thanks for bringing it up though

Back