Magnacut campsword/ extra long Bowie

I know you had issues with making a hidden tang handle for some reason

Not at all. I have made quite a few hidden tang knives. What I said was the specific design of your handle was more complicated than I wanted to get into. A few other factors in the discussion also contributed to my decision to decline the job, which is why I did not pursue additional emails back and forth about alternative handle designs, or other design elements.

When I first started doing customs I was willing to try anything and everything. Now I know what I can enjoy doing. If someone has a project with design elements that fall outside of this, it makes more sense for me to leave it to another maker who actually will enjoy it.

I'm glad the project is working out for you.

Not at all. I have made quite a few hidden tang knives. What I said was the specific design of your handle was more complicated than I wanted to get into. A few other factors in the discussion also contributed to my decision to decline the job, which is why I did not pursue additional emails back and forth about alternative handle designs, or other design elements.

When I first started doing customs I was willing to try anything and everything. Now I know what I can enjoy doing. If someone has a project with design elements that fall outside of this, it makes more sense for me to leave it to another maker who actually will enjoy it.

I'm glad the project is working out for you.
Oh really? hmmm, well I think I would have been open to the discussion. I wasn't dead set on a certain way of doing the hidentang handle other than I wanted it to be a stacked handle, I was open to different materials, epoxy or pinned ect. So I'm not exactly sure what it was that turned you off.

One factor I discussed with my current maker is not putting a pin in the bolster which I was perfectly ok with, I understood that that would weaken the blade and he said it would all be super tight and compressed on there anyways so wasn't really needed.

Is there something else about the blade it self you would have wanted to do differently? not sure if we ever discussed that, you kind of just stopped emailing me haha.

By the way, I'm going to have left over steel and am thinking about possibly making a fighter or survival knife out of it, nothing more than 12 inches total in length, if you're interested let me know.

Yea when I originally wrote this I was thinking the largest bolos had about a 14inch blade for some reason, that's why I said a long bolo/ machete type design.

But this is not short by any means, the blade it self is 16 inches long and will have about a 5 and 3/4th to 6 inch handle or so, so it's over 21 inches in total, which I guess is still a little on the short side for a machete but it's purpose is, and always was to be a chopper more than anything else, it just kind of has a machete look to it is all.

keep in mind it's made from 3/16th inch steel, so to make it much longer would make it unnecessarily heavy for a one handed blade.
Yeah I don't know why, I was just thinking it had like an 18" handle for some reason. Looking forward to seeing it!

you kind of just stopped emailing me

My last email to you was a Friday, requesting certain information. You emailed me twice on Sunday (when I do not read business emails, and which I also noted afterwards did not contain all the information) and then again Monday in the wee hours to tell me you assumed I had lost interest in the job. Then you started this thread later Monday morning, soliciting a maker. So yeah, if I hadn't lost interest already, that definitely sealed it.

Oh really? hmmm, well I think I would have been open to the discussion. I wasn't dead set on a certain way of doing the hidentang handle other than I wanted it to be a stacked handle, I was open to different materials, epoxy or pinned ect. So I'm not exactly sure what it was that turned you off.

One factor I discussed with my current maker is not putting a pin in the bolster which I was perfectly ok with, I understood that that would weaken the blade and he said it would all be super tight and compressed on there anyways so wasn't really needed.

Is there something else about the blade it self you would have wanted to do differently? not sure if we ever discussed that, you kind of just stopped emailing me haha.

By the way, I'm going to have left over steel and am thinking about possibly making a fighter or survival knife out of it, nothing more than 12 inches total in length, if you're interested let me know.
You lowkey call the guy out, and then end with "if you're interested". LOL

I sure wouldn't be.

I'm glad you are getting This made..... :D
I'm sure it's going to be great. I like the tip shape/profile.

Looks especially good for a Free blade, Wow!
Thanks I appreciate it a lot. I wouldn't exactly call it free though, my maker is just doing me a big favor with cutting down costs that's all. He's really into this stuff and I think he appreciated the opportunity to make something like this.

My last email to you was a Friday, requesting certain information. You emailed me twice on Sunday (when I do not read business emails, and which I also noted afterwards did not contain all the information) and then again Monday in the wee hours to tell me you assumed I had lost interest in the job. Then you started this thread later Monday morning, soliciting a maker. So yeah, if I hadn't lost interest already, that definitely sealed it.
Yea, I think it was just a huge misconcmmunication. I wasn't aware when or when not you reply to emails, and you know phone calls are honestly better for the first conversation about these types of things because things can be misconstrued in email a lot.

But it's ok, I have no ill feelings towards you or anything. I'm sure you make some great hidden tang designs. I did briefly look over the type of blades you do and I saw nothing on there that looked like mine and although I would have continued conversation with you about it I felt like we got off on the wrong foot, you may have misunderstood what I was saying about the handle or how flexible I was and ultimately I felt like you were trying to confine me to a certain blade type by pointing me to your work whether it was true or not, this combined with the fact that you were giving it a pass made me not want to pursue it anymore just as you didn't want to anymore.

Like I said, just a huge miscommunication, it's all good though.

Maybe we will have the opportunity for something in the future, but if not I wish you all the best.

You lowkey call the guy out, and then end with "if you're interested". LOL

I sure wouldn't be.
I was trying to end it on a good note, I honestly have no ill feelings towards David at all, it was just a big miscommunication. His interest in this project and where it went with my new maker just made me want to leave it open to him to work with me in the future if he wants.

Please understand, this is something I've tried to get made for well over a year now, designs have been tossed back and forth, small tweeks here and there, sometimes frustrations abound between different people at different times I've conversed with, but non of it was personal.

I'm glad David still cares enough to ask where this project is at and anything I may have said to the contrary was simply to poke fun nothing more. But like all humor in text form, sometimes it's not picked up on or misconstrued.

Anyways, didn't mean to make all of this so public about certain convos had in email and what not, lets just get back to the blade, it's getting made, I'm very happy with where it's at right now and there will be more to come!

This is a Jimmy Fikes-inspired Jungle Honey built by Phil Patton, who is on the forum. This is someone like what I thought you had in mind.

View attachment 2461402
Wow, that's really cool! I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that before, but nope, that wasn't anything like mine. My design was always sort of a bowie/ short to medium length machete type thing that was thick enough to make a good chopper with some minor design elements from fighter knives that I incorporated mostly for aesthetics.

I have to ask though, how good of a chopper and how good at clearing brush is that thing? looks quite functional and I'm sure the balance is amazing but does it fill all of the requirements for a "camp sword"?

Wow, that's really cool! I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that before, but nope, that wasn't anything like mine. My design was always sort of a bowie/ short to medium length machete type thing that was thick enough to make a good chopper with some minor design elements from fighter knives that I incorporated mostly for aesthetics.

I have to ask though, how good of a chopper and how good at clearing brush is that thing? looks quite functional and I'm sure the balance is amazing but does it fill all of the requirements for a "camp sword"?
I can't speak to it, to be honest, as I don't regularly do any chopping with knives - that picture is not my knife. It also occurs to me that the Carothers K18 I do own is in the same vein, though. Dan Keffeler, who knows a thing or two about chopping, designed that one with Nathan.

I may be mistaken, but I believe two-handed brush knives are not uncommon in SE Asia.

PXL_20220408_210740489.jpg

I can't speak to it, to be honest, as I don't regularly do any chopping with knives - that picture is not my knife. It also occurs to me that the Carothers K18 I do own is in the same vein, though. Dan Keffeler, who knows a thing or two about chopping, designed that one with Nathan.

I may be mistaken, but I believe two-handed brush knives are not uncommon in SE Asia.

View attachment 2461427
That's a beutiful piece right there.

I'll look into the SE asian brush knives, I was going to say jungle honey has elements within it that remind of some asian swords, a ninjago perhaps, not sure, the way the handle is done, with the wrapped cord I think is what's giving it that asian vibe.

Alright guys, this will probably be my last update for this thread, any future updates will be on my original thread I started for this project covering the actual use characteristics and functionality of the blade once it's complete.

Let me know what you think, it's been heat treated, the basic design is all there, the bevels, the plunge line, the ridgeline, you can see what I'm going for here and so far my maker has been some 97/98% accurate, pretty much spot on with the design.

The one tiny little area where it diverged was where the ridgeline starts going up and meets with the spine, but I still think it looks really cool that way and he said it couldn't be avoided when doing the distal taper so I'm not sweating it anyways.

handle and it's finish will come later but I'll be posting those photos in the other thread as well.

Last edited:
any type of progress is always good..... :D

-What is the upper notch for?

It turned out pretty well, heck of a chopper and slices well too. I like it a lot more than I thought I would from the original sketch. The finished blade was only 21oz, but with the handle pieces it comes out to 27oz. The balance point is a couple inches along the sharp edge. The Magnacut blade and 416 handle hardware were both dark etched and stonewashed. The handle is stacked suretouch and fiber reinforced rubber.

QwEkNOa.jpg

cF8aP7z.jpg

Back