Magnacut Thread - Photos and Advice

My latest MagnaCut blanks, shipped them Monday to Jarod. The 2 K-Tips will be around 63-64HRC and the others 61-62HRC. I'm currently finishing 2 K-Tips the same as the ones pictured, they came back at 63HRC and have been a pleasure to finish grind. One was done as an S grind using a 72" radius platen the other is going to be FFG.
magnacut-blanks.jpg

JRB Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Has anyone acid etched in FC? Is it even possible to darken MagnaCut with FC? Sorry, first foray into SS.

Thanks.

Bunker Hill Blades

Joseph B
Has anyone acid etched in FC? Is it even possible to darken MagnaCut with FC? Sorry, first foray into SS.

Thanks.
I saw someone try to etch AEB-L with FC once and it didn’t work, so I’m going to assume it won’t work on Magnacut, considering it’s way more corrosion resistant.

JRB Blades

I saw someone try to etch AEB-L with FC once and it didn’t work, so I’m going to assume it won’t work on Magnacut, considering it’s way more corrosion resistant.

I thought that too. I thought I heard somewhere that a longer soak (40+min) does etch AEBL, but I haven't tried it myself.

JRB Blades

I etched nitro-v with muratic acid. It “roughed” the surface up, then put it in Ferric that darkened it.

I don't have any muratic acid. I would normally bead blast it, but I don't think that would touch these 63-64 Rockwell blades.

I don't have any muratic acid. I would normally bead blast it, but I don't think that would touch these 63-64 Rockwell blades.
muriatic acid is available at pool supplies or many hardware stores in the pool section. not hard to find

How'd it turn out?
Yeah sorry, reading my post now, it wasn't very helpful was it. It worked to slightly darken the blade, not black like carbon steel just a matte "well worn" kinda gray look. it knocked the shiny new look off. you can also use sulphuric acid drain cleaner it etches stainless very quickly and deeply if you want a deep etch or more texture.

JRB Blades

Yeah sorry, reading my post now, it wasn't very helpful was it. It worked to slightly darken the blade, not black like carbon steel just a matte "well worn" kinda gray look. it knocked the shiny new look off. you can also use sulphuric acid drain cleaner it etches stainless very quickly and deeply if you want a deep etch or more texture.

Any pictures? I'm interested in that "well worn" gray look!

iilOkHP.jpg

The core on this is nitro-v. when I took it out of the muratic acid, it was a nice grey color, with an interesting texture, almost reminded me of the finish on my 1911, and I thought about leaving it like that, but I ended up putting it in the ferric and it ended up this dark. I thought about soaking it in coffee, but liked this color and left it alone.

Thanks.
For what it's worth, I have etched Damasteel with diluted (50:50) muriatic acid (heated up to around 140 deg F) which got it a pretty dark gray, and then further darkened those areas with instant coffee and it turned out great. I imagine that would work on MagnaCut too.

Larrin

For what it's worth, I have etched Damasteel with diluted (50:50) muriatic acid (heated up to around 140 deg F) which got it a pretty dark gray, and then further darkened those areas with instant coffee and it turned out great. I imagine that would work on MagnaCut too.
But you darkened the PMC27 but not the RWL34, correct?

But you darkened the PMC27 but not the RWL34, correct?
Larrin, you're giving me far too much credit for being able to know which one I darkened haha! I have no idea which one it darkened; you're much more qualified to know the answer to that than I am!

Do you know of anyone successfully darkening MagnaCut yourself? I'm only using MagnaCut for the first time right now, and I haven't tried etching it.