Making a basic forged camp knife - video WIP

Having a little fun in the shop with my new Flip camera...

I started this WIP mostly for my own entertainment but figured my homies in the Custom forum might enjoy it as well. :D

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYXuGXs5NLs&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYXuGXs5NLs&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zts6LJrFjDQ&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zts6LJrFjDQ&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

More to come in a few days

Good stuff Derrick. I especially like the karate noises while attacking the rope. What is the steel? Oh and congratulations on the knife picture in the gallery in Knife World. Looking forward to installment three.
Brion

Cool videos and sweet looking knife. What would you want for something like that without the fancy heat treat?

I'm coming back as soon as I can to watch the vids, but I already think this is cool.

Roger

Nothing like a little saturday morning humor :D :D :thumbup:

Great vid and an even better knife !!

Well done Wulf :)

:cool:

Okay, back from the course, coffee and dansih at hand, watching the vid. Spilling coffee everywhere laughing so damn hard. This homie is officially entertained! Can't wait for more.

Knife looks great so far - works great, too.

Roger

Derrick, tell me that was your neighbor's kid and you did NOT procreate!:eek:

:thumbup: Lin

I'm not sure if it would be AS FUNNY if I didn't know you... but I'm pretty sure I'd still almost shot coffee out my nose. :eek: :D :p :D

You, me, Roger, and all the "east coast boyz" need to hang out again sometime!!! :D

I forgot...

First of all- Where the hell are your safety glasses Jack-O!?!?!? We all know you hold the pretty boy award for knifemaker/collector of the decade.... but you will look better with safety glasses on than an eye missing! :eek: :mad: :barf:

:D

Secondly, I am SOOOOO glad to realize that I've been missing both the herring and small child from my Japanese style heat-treating. Finally things will start coming together.

And third... as I always like to tell friends, family, loved ones... "Sound effects are always free!" :D I very much enjoyed your kehr-ahh-tay sound effects! :cool: :)

Glad you guys are getting a chuckle out of this - I sure am having fun with it. :)

Louis, you're right, I do need help, and this is my therapy! I have a pretty intense job and knifemaking is my outlet. It allows me to create something tangible with lasting intrinsic value while at the same time expressing my creativity. It gives me such great pleasure and personal satisfaction that I can't help but have a little fun with it. Besides, life is way too short for me to ever take myself too seriously. :)

Brion, thanks for the kind words my friend. The steel is 1095 - some of Aldo's stuff. I've had some really good experiences with it so far. Cuts really well and can produce a really nice hamon too.

David, thanks man. I really like your work and it's nice to see your comments here.

Roger, one of these days you need to take a road trip down to Burlington for a nice weekend in the shop with your boy. Door's always open my friend.

Lin, hate to say it but yes, I've been doin some breeding. I have two lovely daughters and consider myself the luckiest dad in the world :) I do my best to raise 'em right.

Lon, I may spend a lot of time out in the shop but I'm never alone. The voices follow me around EVERYWHERE :p

Nick, I'm actually very good about wearing my safety glasses when doing actual work. I just took them off for the video clip so you could look deep into my lovely enchanting eyes. :) And you are ABSOLUTELY right - we are way overdue to hang out. It's just been way too long old buddy...

I played the vids for my daughter and she loved them. I had to replay the "little girl" and the "karate sounds" parts about 5 times. :)

Roger

Derrick,

Great stuff! You brightened an otherwise dull day.

:) Funny how knifemakers have this bald spot on their left forearm. Nice job and very entertaining.

Gary

holy shit that is funny stuff.
Stands to reason that you are a Vermontonian, (I've got family there, so I KNOW:D).

Back