Making a basic forged camp knife - video WIP

The obvious safety and near-child-abuse issues aside ;), I actually learned some things between the chuckles. :D A pleasure to watch.

BTW, my wife Susan thanks you again for the delicious cupcakes. :thumbup: :p

Coop

Last edited:
Part 3 - doing a little sanding, etching, and polishing, and finally attaching the handle scales

[youtube]vbmwzhw9098[/youtube]

Last edited:
Nice hamon. And that wood is going to look great with the "Bung Oil" finish. :D

Roger

^^^ The embedded link didn't work for me either. But I went to youtube and plugged "Dick makes a knife" into the search field and watched all the vids in full screen HD. :thumbup:

Roger

PS -What kind of wood is that for the handle?

Last edited:
Ha!.. I finally got a chance to watch these. Great stuff, had me chuckling throughout but good info too... Thanks!

great stuff...thank you very much for the laughs and info.
That is a seriously lovely knife from a guy who doesn't take him self too seriously:D. I particularly like the etch pattern...and when your thumb catches on fire!!!

Nice video's, but please make a stand for your ferric...

That's funny, I thought the same thing... about a week ago I looked at my own tube and thought, "I should put a stand on that", not five minutes later a broom fell and knocked it over.:rolleyes:

I am enjoying this Derrick. 60+ hours for hand rubbing? you must be using the quick and dirty method:D. And where can I get this bung oil? On second thought I don't really want to know. Good looking blade, Aldo's 1095 is good stuff. Waiting for part four.
Brion

... there's no way that knife can work. If you hang it tip down like that in the forge all the carbon molecules will run out the end and you'll get a head-rush.

I thought you said you knew what you were doing...

Roger - its walnut. Thanks to our mutual friend Dan I am a fool for that wood. It's hard to beat a nice oil-finished walnut handle for its beauty, warmth, and feel.

Sam, that's actually not a Pheonix but an old Bullhammer - one of the last ones made. I got it from a guy who won it in a raffle at an ABANA event. It had never been used and I paid less than a third of what it would've cost new. One of my best scores ever.

Eric, Stuart - good call. One of those things I keep meaning to do but somehow always end up doing something else instead.

Brion, I get all my bung oil from Matt Gregory. He seems to have an endless supply of the stuff. No idea where he gets it.

Matt, I NEVER said I knew what I was doing. :D Not once.

Guys, just a heads up that Part 4 might be a bit delayed as a rather time sensitive project has come up that will have to take precedence over this. A guy that has been working for me for a while now has decided to go back to school to pursue his PhD at the University of Oregon and is leaving on his cross-country trek next week. He'll be stopping at a number of national parks along the way and has a few outdoor adventures planned before he arrives in Eugene to delve back into the world of academia. Naturally I can't let him venture out into the wilderness without a proper knife, so work has now commenced on the Eugene Trail Bowie, which I'll try to post a few pictures of as well.

I hope that Eugene Bowie has dreadlocks and a roach clip :eek: :foot: :p

One of my cousin's graduated as a Duck, so I have privilege to say that ;)

you'll have to make a tiny pocket on the sheath for a set of tiny scissors as well, as per Nick's suggestion.

Damn! Dial-up sucks. I'll have to wait till I get back to work from holidays next week. How is it that in cottage country (central ontario) you can get high speed but 10 minutes out in the country from a tri city area of 500,000 people in the most populated part of Canada I can't even get it with a wireless internet stick Paul

That walnut looks very pretty. Looking forward to part 4 whenever you get back to it.

Roger

Agree w/what everyone else has said... Great vids and a great looking knife coming together.

You think your girls are fast... just wait until they hit 16-18... then they get REALLY fast.

Back