"Man, Woman, Wild"

The show (and Mike in general) seems too contrived. Even my woman refuses to watch it. She does love "Dual Survival" though. Without going into too much detail and swimming too far upstream here I will say that Mike's disposition is off-putting to me. Incorporating a woman was a great attempt to appeal to the female audience but I can't get past Mike or his wife.

The show (and Mike in general) seems too contrived. Even my woman refuses to watch it. She does love "Dual Survival" though. Without going into too much detail and swimming too far upstream here I will say that Mike's disposition is off-putting to me. Incorporating a woman was a great attempt to appeal to the female audience but I can't get past Mike or his wife.

It's my wifes favourite survival show by a mile, guess it just shows we are all different and what might float someones boat will quickly sink others !

I've noticed that Myke kinda toned down the "cool guy" voice a bit as the season went on.
I rather like Ruth, not just because of her looks, but because she provides an element of reality most guys don't think about.

Think she's annoying? Think of it as your wife, out in the woods, after some accident. You haven't eaten for two days, you have a caffeine withdrawal headache, and she's pissing an moaning because you're going to have turtle with a side of grubs tonight, no matter how cute Frank the turtle is, or how nasty the grubs look.

I also like how he makes her do some things. She doesn't get a pass just because he's the man, and she's the woman. He made her learn to handle snakes. He made her kill the opossum.

They did some risky stuff (like swim a freezing cold river, twice), but it was because the possibility of survival on the other side was much greater. I like that he FAILED to get the turkey (on the same river episode).

I like that they use different equipment each episode, and different techniques. Showcasing that you don't need Brand X equipment to live, or that one way of making fire is the only way. It was also refreshing that when he used the TOPs knife he designed, he didn't say a word about it.

More important, I know of at least three guys in work, who've never heard the name Ron Hood, much less watch his DVDs say that Man, Woman, Wild, made them want to go camping again, and they've started to do so. Some are guys that were scouts in younger years and just got away from it. Another never went camping and came out with us when we did a camp-out with our church group.

So, in that way, it's better than instructional videos that most people never hear about.

On the season finally(spell?) this last Friday night, does anyone know what brand of knife he and his wife were using? Normally I can figure them out but not these. They kind of looked like Mil-Tacs but were to big to be their's. Thank you.

On the season finally(spell?) this last Friday night, does anyone know what brand of knife he and his wife were using? Normally I can figure them out but not these. They kind of looked like Mil-Tacs but were to big to be their's. Thank you.

Both knives were Spartan blades.

I like the show. Haven't seen an episode in a few weeks and missed the Alaska one. I'm going to disagree with Nemoaz' statements about not needing food. This is generally the case, until you mix in cold. Food is very important to keeping a high metabolic rate, which is part and parcel of generating warmth.

When in your thermoneutral zone, that is base metabolism supplying enough energy with your insulation to keep body temperatures, it is true that that you can last weeks on stored body fat. However, you go through body fat incredibly quickly under shivering and brown-fat thermogenesis. One of the reasons why the inuit are constantly eating fat, (they snack on it throughout the day and before going to sleep), is that after eating a meal, your metabolism is raised by specific dynamic action and this raised metabolism helps produce body heat. By eating often throughout the day you keep your metabolic rate high and you feel warmer. By not eating, your metabolic rate drops to base until its shocked into kicking in a thermogenic response. This is inefficient and contributes to rapid depletion of fat stores.

Somebody said it earlier. If you aren't eating, then that shelter is like a shed. Under the cold environment, you have days, not weeks.

I've noticed that Myke kinda toned down the "cool guy" voice a bit as the season went on.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what prompted me to give the show another shot, but I was quite pleasantly surprised at the last 3 episodes. Without the caricature sort of voice and the without the constant "baby, hey baby, y'know baby, oh baby, yeah baby, ok baby, baby baby" it turned into quite an enjoyable show.

I'll likely tune in to a season 2 if there's one on the way.

I rather like Ruth, not just because of her looks, but because she provides an element of reality most guys don't think about.

Think she's annoying? Think of it as your wife, out in the woods, after some accident. You haven't eaten for two days, you have a caffeine withdrawal headache, and she's pissing an moaning because you're going to have turtle with a side of grubs tonight, no matter how cute Frank the turtle is, or how nasty the grubs look.

I also like how he makes her do some things. She doesn't get a pass just because he's the man, and she's the woman. He made her learn to handle snakes. He made her kill the opossum.

They did some risky stuff (like swim a freezing cold river, twice), but it was because the possibility of survival on the other side was much greater. I like that he FAILED to get the turkey (on the same river episode).

I like that they use different equipment each episode, and different techniques. Showcasing that you don't need Brand X equipment to live, or that one way of making fire is the only way. It was also refreshing that when he used the TOPs knife he designed, he didn't say a word about it.

More important, I know of at least three guys in work, who've never heard the name Ron Hood, much less watch his DVDs say that Man, Woman, Wild, made them want to go camping again, and they've started to do so. Some are guys that were scouts in younger years and just got away from it. Another never went camping and came out with us when we did a camp-out with our church group.

So, in that way, it's better than instructional videos that most people never hear about.

Great observations and perspective. I believe it the "cool voice" bit that is most disturbing to me. Glad to see some people can extract enjoyment from it though.

I like the show. Haven't seen an episode in a few weeks and missed the Alaska one. I'm going to disagree with Nemoaz' statements about not needing food. This is generally the case, until you mix in cold.

Hey, I've got some buddies who are still in the biz as instructors. One's at JFK ("Green Beret" school- he also rotates to the arctic warfare training and survival school in Alaska) and one is at the AF's survival instructor school. I also know of a guy (know him in an internet sort way) who's running the USMC mountain survival course. I'll send you their email addresses and you can explain to them that they are wrong. I'm sure they'll update the material with your suggestions. We sure wouldn't want them putting out incorrect material.

This isn't to disagree with your point that fat is better and you should eat as much as possible in the northern climate. But you can make it for weeks without food. Not days.

Honestly I think alot of survival shows play up the importance of food primarily because its relatable, and of interest to the average viewer. Most folks that hunker down in front of a tv on friday night have never spent a cold shelterless fireless night in the woods...folks can empathisize but not relate..they might as well shoot the show on the moon. but pretty much everybody has been good and hungry...hand an average person a survival manual.. 7 out of 10 times I bet the first thing the flip to is the "how to procure food section"

in my not so expert opinion a show about survival that actually showed educated survivalist survivng would be pretty boring to the average viewer..although it might well be a cult classic for wood nerds like us....

Personally for the record I like man woman wild, and dual survival as well... I;ve seen almost all episodes of both,,,and am looking forward to more.

Hey, I've got some buddies who are still in the biz as instructors. One's at JFK ("Green Beret" school- he also rotates to the arctic warfare training and survival school in Alaska) and one is at the AF's survival instructor school. I also know of a guy (know him in an internet sort way) who's running the USMC mountain survival course. I'll send you their email addresses and you can explain to them that they are wrong. I'm sure they'll update the material with your suggestions. We sure wouldn't want them putting out incorrect material.

This isn't to disagree with your point that fat is better and you should eat as much as possible in the northern climate. But you can make it for weeks without food. Not days.

Are we talking about building a shelter right away, then laying in it, not moving around much except to get watter.

Or are you saying that you could last weeks slogging through harsh freezing wilderness with no food to keep you going?

Because they made it pretty clear that in that particular situation sitting in one place and hoping for rescue wasn't really an option.

...Just currious.

It doesn't matter. Obviously, you last longer if you're not moving. You last longer if it's a little cold instead of bitter, subzero weather.

But you will last weeks without food. The Russian army lasted months. And still won. Our Army starved in Belgium and France. But most survived and we still won.

It must be pounded into our fat, American heads. You can survive a LONG TIME without food. If you have the wrong mindset, you will fail.

My wife watched every episode of MWW with me and has said this is her favorite of all the survival shows she's seen - which is a lot because I watch them all and she watches them with me.

I like MWW enough. But nothing tops Survivorman in my book. :thumbup:

My wife watched every episode of MWW with me and has said this is her favorite of all the survival shows she's seen - which is a lot because I watch them all and she watches them with me.

I like MWW enough. But nothing tops Survivorman in my book. :thumbup:

That's going to sum up my feelings in their entirety...

On the sliding scale of Survival TV
-Les Stroud
-The English/Hawke
-Cody Lundin and that other fella

...the rest.

Nemoaz-I think you may be underestimating the importance of food in general bro...it's one thing to be hunkered down and counting the cob webs but quite another to be out and about in the wilds of anywhere with a stomach that hates your plans.

See Chris McCandless for a brief reference on "will vs. stomach" ;)

I enjoy both Man Woman Wild and Dual Survival. Sure some of it may be a bit of a stretch like having a 9V and steel wool or the proper chemicals to make a fire when you need one. But, I can watch the shows with the kids in same room and I find them entertaining.

Nemoaz-I think you may be underestimating the importance of food in general bro...it's one thing to be hunkered down and counting the cob webs but quite another to be out and about in the wilds of anywhere with a stomach that hates your plans.

Don't worry son. I've lived the life and know what's bullshit and what isn't.

Ahw, the 'my buddy is an expert card' You only get to use that one once :rolleyes:

I didn't say my buddy is the expert. I said I have been there and done that.

Oh yeah, and the pre-eminent guy in the field (Dr. Ron Hood) happens to say it, too.

Or you can listen to a bunch of granola crunching gear-whores who think they'll die in a couple of days without their protein bars. Whatever. You probably will.

KGD, I've scoured your posts for evidence of anything other than being a blowhard. Nothing found.

I didn't say my buddy is the expert. I said I have been there and done that.

Oh yeah, and the pre-eminent guy in the field (Dr. Ron Hood) happens to say it, too.

Or you can listen to a bunch of granola crunching gear-whores who think they'll die in a couple of days without their protein bars. Whatever. You probably will.

KGD, I've scoured your posts for evidence of anything other than being a blowhard. Nothing found.

I've scoured your posts and you're a confrontational nit wit. I don't really care what your SF buds or whatever other credentials they have think about food. I've lived without it, and it isn't pretty. Try thinking straight in real life when you've gone a week without food. Not when you're in training. :jerkit:

Back