Military, tip up option?

Dear Spyderco, my most used brand....

Can you please make the military able to be carried tip up please? It's the only reason I haven't bought one.

Thanks for listening.

I imagine the Millie sells fine enough to not warrant tapping an extra set of screw holes. But if you really want one there are ways to mod one on, that's really your best bet.

I had mine modded by Josh at Razor edge knives for tip up carry, definitely improves the knife, it's now one of my most carried blades.

6-32 1/4" T-nut, 6-32 1/2" button head socket cap screw, one CRK pocketclip
GXGRP5Ih.jpg

before grinding test fit
hHKWPMOh.jpg

after grinding
3Z5oz9th.jpg

i5ZErcBh.jpg

U0aqWDYh.jpg

works on framelocks too, but clip will rotate easier than on G10's
uLQYk4jh.jpg

i2tMfEBh.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas.

I've been wanting one because it looks like the perfect knife for someone who wants slicey.

I dont really get the "tip down carry is what makes the millie what it is" statement though.....enough people agree with me that they are modding to get it tip up.

But yeah, at least there is a way to get what I'm looking for, so thanks for the ideas.....

Now to go shopping.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas.

I've been wanting one because it looks like the perfect knife for someone who wants slicey.

I dont really get the "tip down carry is what makes the millie what it is" statement though.....enough people agree with me that they are modding to get it tip up.

But yeah, at least there is a way to get what I'm looking for, so thanks for the ideas.....

Now to go shopping.

You don't get it because that's the way the Military has always been since its inception, tip down. Always has been, always will be. Tip up or tip down matters not to me, but for some it does matter. Like others and myself have stated, if you want tip up, there are ways to do it!

You don't get it because that's the way the Military has always been since its inception, tip down. Always has been, always will be. Tip up or tip down matters not to me, but for some it does matter. Like others and myself have stated, if you want tip up, there are ways to do it!
I find the stock tip down very uncomfortable to carry - it puts the fat end of the folded knife at the top of my pocket. That makes it unnecessarily difficult to reach past my knife to get into my pocket, and if I carry right side (which I usually do), my hand is rubbing the spine of the knife blade - jimping first - to get into my pocket. I despise rear pocket carry, so tip up is the ONLY way a Mili will stay in my carry rotation.

I find the stock tip down very uncomfortable to carry - it puts the fat end of the folded knife at the top of my pocket. That makes it unnecessarily difficult to reach past my knife to get into my pocket, and if I carry right side (which I usually do), my hand is rubbing the spine of the knife blade - jimping first - to get into my pocket. I despise rear pocket carry, so tip up is the ONLY way a Mili will stay in my carry rotation.

Oh I know that tip down isn't for everyone. That's why you and others have found a way to carry it tip up. My point is that the Military has always been tip down and I don't see Sal changing it any time soon.

Once upon a time most knives came tip down. The Military has been in existence mostly unchanged since that time which is why it is tip down.

It also only has partial liners and originally it only had a liner on the clip/lock side. That was why it only came right side tip down. Back then clips were only installed when there were liners that could be tapped. Now we are seeing threaded inserts added to unlined G10 and it seems to be holding up well so we could see a change to four way at some point. Also, the Military has a curved clip (which I love) and it would not work with a four way option. It would have to come with two clips or use the standard hourglass clip.

If you are after slicey and want a large knife with a tip up option then take a look at the Police4. It has a four way clip option and it has thinner blade stock than the Military. I love mine. :)

The Millie is the knife that made me rethink "tip-up or death." :D

Yes, it puts the widest part of the knife at the top of my pocket, which is less than ideal for EDC. But when I draw it, my hand is exactly where it needs to be in order to open it, no shuffling needed. The handle is so long that tip-up would necessitate some shuffling to get a good grip (for my hands, at least); tip-down is perfect for this knife.

Same with the Microtech Socom Elite, another knife I'd previously dismissed because it was tip-down only. The Millie made me look at that with fresh eyes, and now I own a second tip-down knife. ;)

e9ZkVSf.jpg

I drilled into the g10. Screwed in the screws with gorilla glue (expanding type) in the threads. No problems. Its been 9 month. Ive even removed the clip once because I got it caught in something and bent it. Went right back on. Side note- factory clip becomes left hand tip up because of its curve.

No thanks,,,, I have carried my Military models tip down for over 20 years.
Tip up is not a Military.
If it is a problem in RH pocket,,, just use a nylon belt pouch,,, smoother easier operation with tip down.

Regards,
FK

The Millie is the knife that made me rethink "tip-up or death." :D

Yes, it puts the widest part of the knife at the top of my pocket, which is less than ideal for EDC. But when I draw it, my hand is exactly where it needs to be in order to open it, no shuffling needed. The handle is so long that tip-up would necessitate some shuffling to get a good grip (for my hands, at least); tip-down is perfect for this knife.

Same with the Microtech Socom Elite, another knife I'd previously dismissed because it was tip-down only. The Millie made me look at that with fresh eyes, and now I own a second tip-down knife. ;)
That is why there is a Socom Delta IMHO. ;) And I see Microtech agrees with me about the clip too.

uIcfu5Ch.jpg

mSRPPRSh.jpg

That is why there is a Socom Delta IMHO. ;) And I see Microtech agrees with me about the clip too.

Hah! Too funny. I didn't realize that was one of the differences between the Elite and the Delta. :)

I can see the Elite feeling fine in my hands tip-up (and by extension the Delta being fine as-is). The handle has a lot less real estate to navigate than the Millie's does.

Your mods and knives look great! :thumbsup: Too each their own on knives and preferences.

Back