Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

beautiful!
Thank you sir. I used .002 shims on both sides of the blade and hammerd away. My shims actually got stuck and I had a heck of a time getting them out. Far and away the best recover I've done so far. I've got 2 recovered slippies I had done from a very well known IG modder and I'll put this up next to his any day. ;)

Thank you sir. I used .002 shims on both sides of the blade and hammerd away. My shims actually got stuck and I had a heck of a time getting them out. Far and away the best recover I've done so far. I've got 2 recovered slippies I had done from a very well known IG modder and I'll put this up next to his any day. ;)

Glad to see it all worked out properly. Curiously, what are your shims made out of? some sort of steel right?

!
How have I missed subjecting this thread to my madness for all this time ?
Well we will soon rectify that.
My standard old MO
Remove the spay from a two blade large trapper.
Just got this Black Water Buffalo.
While I was at it I removed the "factory fresh" coarse ground rolled edge and polished the sharpening bevel on the Edge Pro.
Yes it is not show quality; it's a user and has some fit up issues between bolsters and scales . . . but it's mine and I love it.
Really nice walk and talk, about 8, just the way I like it.
IMG_6028.jpg

I got it to keep the Teardrop company.
Now THAT is a useful second blade. (photo before spayectomy)
IMG_6018.jpg

Last edited:
. . . I used .002 shims on both sides of the blade and hammerd away. My shims actually got stuck and I had a heck of a time getting them out.
A buck 112 is a Traditional right ? This one is the S30V blade.
I have a question :
The blade in this knife, top knife in this photo, tends to wedge into place as it locks up. This is nice in that there is absolutely zero blade play after she locks up but the blade tends to kind of get stuck a little when I go to fold it. As the blade goes fifteen or twenty degrees from fully open it pivots nice and once closed it opens fine. I wouldn't mind a little play if I could free up the pivot.

I have put the blade in a vise with aluminum padded jaws and carefully levered the handle side to side at the pivot and in torsion which has made the knife barely tolerable.

What I am wondering is do you think I could slip one or two shims next to the blade while it is closed or barely open and effectively spread the pivot as the blade opens fully and locks up ?

I have scads of stainless shim stock in all sizes down to about .0015" or so.

Worth a try ? I have some wedges I could use in pairs but haven't gotten serious about using them and they will probably mark up the inside edges of the frame of the knife.
IMG_6006 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back