1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by supratentorial, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
  2. Âchillepattada

Âchillepattada Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2012
    Almost finished ....

[​IMG]

3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This used to be a Gerber Big Rock camp knife. I bought it because I liked the compactness of it, as well as the blade shape.
    [​IMG]
    Soon I found the synthetic slabs that didn't cover the tang rather uncomfortable. So was the pinkie hook, which I believe had a lanyard hole. I don't remember why I de-horned the thumb ramp.
    Rehandled in Gibson Guitar walnut off-cut, in as-rasped finish. I like this knife a lot, though I just rediscovered it while looking for something else.
    I know Gerber is supposed to have gone to hades after selling to Fiskars, but I don't believe it.

4. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Nice job! Does it play like a Gibson? That'll be the test! ;):thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  5. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Here’s a Klein electrician’s knife that I took out the screw driver and re-covered in green crosscut micarta. This was my first attempt at taking apart and re-covering a knife. There’s a lot of room for improvement, but I was very pleased for my first attempt. [​IMG]

6. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    I've cobbed up a few ratcliffe muskrats recently & fine tuned the profile ... I think these are my best to date:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rwc53, glennbad, Just Tom. and 7 others like this.
  7. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    Nice. Those look like they came from the factory like that.

Getting older and Lansky1 like this.
  8. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    FLymon, Will Power, glennbad and 6 others like this.
  9. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    An A.G. Russell Funny Folder counts as traditional, right?

[​IMG]

10. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005

Lansky1 and WValtakis like this.
  11. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    KV - i’d like to see your ratcliffe - any chance u could post a pic ?

12. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    This knife started out as a Schrade (U.S.A., of course) 123 OT, an Old Timer @ four inches closed, 1095 steel. I bought it from a seller on ebay, I believe also the smith. He re-purposed the brass linerlock from a much larger 125 OT folding hunter and fitted it to this smaller, rather rare knife, then re-handled it in black linen micarta. I like this knife very much. 1231.jpg 1236.jpg 1238.jpg 12311.jpg

FLymon, rwc53, FOG2 and 5 others like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
  14. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

FLymon, LastRodeo, zolthar and 2 others like this.
  15. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    The Chappaquiddick?
    424249DE-A096-48ED-A974-36532416215B.jpeg

JustinR, jwolf90, rwc53 and 4 others like this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Will Power likes this.
  17. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    I posted this a while back in the “what traditional are you carrying” thread but thought I’d post it here. This is my second attempt at a re-cover. Another Klein electrician with rag micarta. It had gotten kind of grimy from carrying it, so I cleaned it up a bit and put a bees wax finish on the scales. We’ll see if that keeps down the grime. [​IMG]

Will Power, TFBraden, zolthar and 3 others like this.
  18. jsdistin

May 27, 2016
    Depending on the audience I was thinking 50 years could be too long ago or too soon. I kind of amused myself with it though.

Maybe if it were polished the dirt would have less to attach too. I don’t know how fibrous rag micarta is though.

JohnDF, Will Power and Sacto like this.
  19. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    You may be right. It seems pretty smooth, but a bit porous. I thought the wax might fill the pores. Polishing might help, I just didn’t really know what I was doing.

20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    ;) I remember seeing a picture in a satirical British magazine of a shifty looking T.Kennedy looking at an even more shifty R.Nixon...With the cation "Would you like me to drive you home?" :D:D

Which proved to me that law does not always apply equally...:rolleyes:

A fine conversion too:thumbsup::cool:

JohnDF likes this.