Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

I posted this a while back in the “what traditional are you carrying” thread but thought I’d post it here. This is my second attempt at a re-cover. Another Klein electrician with rag micarta. It had gotten kind of grimy from carrying it, so I cleaned it up a bit and put a bees wax finish on the scales. We’ll see if that keeps down the grime.
a70u0ie.jpg

I like those scales very much, suits a smaller Barehead.The grime could eventually give the handles a patina which might not be too bad either. Wouldn't think beeswax would stay on for that long though, I would've though it needs a lacquer like coating? Be interesting to know what/how say GEC seals their Micarta. On the 2 Bullnoses I own the finish is entirely different: the dark red is highly polished and doesn't seem to take on staining whereas the matte Muslin is the opposite . Others will know the answer.

Thanks, Will

You may be right. It seems pretty smooth, but a bit porous. I thought the wax might fill the pores. Polishing might help, I just didn’t really know what I was doing.

I like those scales very much, suits a smaller Barehead.The grime could eventually give the handles a patina which might not be too bad either. Wouldn't think beeswax would stay on for that long though, I would've though it needs a lacquer like coating? Be interesting to know what/how say GEC seals their Micarta. On the 2 Bullnoses I own the finish is entirely different: the dark red is highly polished and doesn't seem to take on staining whereas the matte Muslin is the opposite . Others will know the answer.

Thanks, Will
I don’t think GEC actually seals their micarta my understanding of the way they do their micarta is that linen get polished and canvas and muslin get a rough satin finish. I think the rough finish breaks up and leaves some of the fibers, improving grip but also catching dirt and oils. I think the muslin and canvas could be polished but I’m not sure. Either way those fibers in the rag stuff look pretty fine and I think could be polished. I got 3, 5 , and 7 thousand grit sand paper on amazon and use automotive wet dry sand paper up to 2500 grit. You don’t need to go all the way to 7000 for anything but metal that I’ve found.

Last edited:
This arrived yesterday and I'm delighted:cool:

Not just modified but also greatly improved thanks to J jsdistin :thumbsup:

He got hold of some excellent fat Sambar, which is precisely what I wanted, the Swayback frame lends itself to thicker comfortable scales and the knife feels A1 in the hand. Jeffrey also enhanced the F&F of the original which also shows his innate skill, no mean feat. Without a doubt, the best work I've ever had done on a knife, it's all it should be and more. I feel he has very considerable potential in this field and would not surprise me to see him opt to become a knife maker:thumbsup: I don't hand out praise like confetti, can be known to be critical and not go for group-think from the same song-sheet:D But his work speaks for itself, and, this was an international transaction that was without any problems too. This is going to be a working favourite of mine, thank you:thumbsup:

0feDfBX.jpg

considering joining these two ages ago,
aNAvMRk.jpg

@IzzyG did a great job!
NrmRZMW.jpg

nailed the centering!
TSgK85B.jpg

and its ready to join the modded team!
lvKMBRc.jpg

thanks @LastRodeo for letting it go, and in loving memory of @BigBiscuit. for giving me a handle on the knife thing especially barlows. it would've been devastating to lose the 15 you gifted me, bud :( even though you wanted me to not be afraid of using my knives.

Back