"Multiples" or "The Knife So Nice You Bought It Twice"

Anyone have two or more of the same knife (including same model in different colors)?

If so, which knife?
Also, if so, why? Is it a backup? Or were you just so smitten with the first one that you couldn't help getting another?

I keep trying to talk myself out of buying several PM2s in different colors...but I'm losing!

Never been inclined to get a double. But I have considered getting another Victorinox Ruksack. The one I have is about two decades old, and still pretty sweet. I am slightly concerned about them being discontinued.

I had 2 Spyderco PM2s, plain and black finish blades, both S30V, just sold my all black recently as it was a safe queen, I was reluctant to use it and mark up the blade finish.

Also had 2 Benchmade Triage 915s, one plain one black, this time I kept the black, as I prefer the more tactical look for this particular folder

I am tempted to buy a second Spyderco Techno, it is such an awesome little knife

I have several Spyderco Military's here. Each has been moded in one way or another. Plus there is so much available to 'personalize' the Military.

It's such a great knife.

Techno%20021_1.jpg

I'm infected with the multiples sickness. It's funny to me, because if a knife is worthy you should not need a backup, it should last and hold up.

But I buy seconds for peace of mind - knowing I have a clean unscuffed copy of a design I like, which enables me (mentally) to enjoy one of them as a guilt free user. It's not because I'm preparing for a time when my knives will break on me. It also depends on the future availability of the knife, sometimes they go out of stock/discontinued (happens much less often now days).

Some of my dupes are sprint milis, yojimbos, microtech tachyons, bm 42s, large espadas..

Another aspect to multiples...I started with a lot more variety, many unique folders. But I'd ask myself would I rather have a second yojimboII instead of my para military 2? And if the answer was yes, I'd trade it out. I've replaced a bunch of knives I was not using with duplicates of knives I connect with, utility wise or aesthetically.

Becker BK-15. Bought one 'cause of the "they're being discontinued discount" (poor, misunderstood trailing point :( ). Shortly after that I got a second one
1) because I really liked it once I tried it out
2) in case something ever happens to the first one

I have 2 CS Hold Out IIIs. I like the size--it's right in the Mini Grip/Delica/Rat 2 size range--and the design and the AUS-8 ones were discounted due to steel upgrade.

Technically I bought the Mini Grip twice, but one of those was given to my sister.

If you don't count my handful of Victorinox and Wenger Soldiers, I only have doubles of two knives.

One is the Vic Cadet. Picked up a second at a great price, just because. The other knife is a CRKT Prowler, discontinued ages ago. I found one NIB at a local dealer and purchased it as a back up. Of course, now that I have two, nothing will happen to the first one. One of my all time favorite knives. Shame CRKT did not use better blade steel.

Last edited:
Victorinox Super Tinker x4 - great little tool
Swamp Rat Ratmandu x2 - pretty much the perfect fixed blade knife. (Still on the lookout for a second SYKCO 511)
Ontario Rat-1 x2 - one for hunting/camping, one modded safe queen
Becker BK-15 x2 - one on my hunting rig, one backup coz the price was too good to resist
Fallkniven F1 x4 - two factory (but one in a custom sheath rig), two customs from blanks, just coz it's such a good all rounder
Fallkniven S1 x2 - both customs from blanks, both purchased before I started getting into the Bussekin blades of the same length and style
Zero Tolerance 550 x5 - perfect folding knife for me. Almost all are modded one way or another. User, backup, backup to the backup, colour options etc

I own mostly traditional style folding slipjoints and have multiples of some patterns, though usually with a different steel, handle material, or blade combination. I only have exact duplicates of two knives, which were purchased as spares of a discontinued knife.

Vic Adventurer (Regular EDC). I believe I have four or five of them. Reason: Replacements for lost knives. Believe model discontinued.
Two Northwoods Madison Barlows (one blade), and a two blade Madison Barlow. Reason: I like it a lot plus one is in ivory!
Two GEC #42's (two blade Missouri Trapper) in different scales. Reason: I like it a lot! My favorite GEC slippie.
Two Spyderco Enduras. Reason: One plain and one fully serrated. Seldom use this knife. Thought I'd like the size.
Two Vic Trekkers. One regular and one one-hand model. Reason: Good woods knife.
Two Spyderco Natives. Reason: Different models. One in VG-10 and other in S35VN. One of my favorite Spydies.
Two Case full sized Trappers

I don't collect knives. But I don't think I'll use the elephant ivory Northwoods Madison. Don't need to.

I've got multiples of lots of different knives, mostly because they are out of production and I really like to use them...
not really a collector, I'll buy them in used or new condition (but no serrations)

I've got
(5) CRK umfaan
(5) BM 705
(5) Case 31
(4) MT udt 2000
(4) Woodard fer de lance
(3) Woodard pocket pro

I generally carry 2 knives. One for rough use, and one for delicate tasks. I sometimes buy an extra of the roughly used knife to just to have one that is in better condition.

I have two Kershaw Lahars, one is a user, another one is brand new, sitting in a drawer, waiting for its day. Also have multiple Delicas, but that's cause Delicas are awesome. :D

2 Manix 2s, plain Jane S30V FFG and Cruwear
2 Native 5s, G-10 and LW

Also thinking about picking up a ZT 0801BW to compliment my S110V.

I've got 3 Spyderco Sage 2s - not entirely sure why, other than I think they're a great little knife. Unfortunately, little is a key portion of that phrase, so I don't use/carry them. (I think I was planning on trying to heat anodize one). My weakness, though is fixed blades. I've got multiples of a few Beckers - some because they are becoming less common, some because I have done some modifications & want to keep an original on hand.
Say RMD, and I run out of justifications...other than but I like them. I thought I had more than I needed; so I ordered two more, just to be sure.

I've sold most of my collection, but still have multiples of a few.
I guess the only reason I still have multiples of these is because I really like these models.
The Sebenza and Military being my favorites.

Sebenza (Classics and Regulars)
Spyderco Military and Para 2
Case Trapper and Mini Trapper
Case Copperlock and Mini Copperlock
Case Peanut
Benchmade Activator 210TK
SAK Classic
Dozier Arkansas Traveler
Busse SFNO

I may be forgetting something, but think that's all.

Back