My 5000th Post Traditional Fixed-Blade Giveaway - Do we have a winner?!

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
This is my 5000thpost on Bladeforums, and despite recently losing a good few of my Traditional posts to the Rowdy House, (for reasons I'll not go into ;) ), most of my posts are here. My post count has really crept up on me, and so I’m doing this in a bit of a hurry. My usual apologies for the shortcomings of the photographs.

When I started posting regularly here, I was given a very generous welcome by the regulars and the mods here, and I feel very much part of the community on The Porch. I’ve made many great friends, learned a fair bit, and received a lot of kindness also. I’d like to give a knife away as a small token of my appreciation, and I hope that all you regular Porch visitors will enter – PLEASE - and not pass. It doesn’t matter if you’ve won another giveaway recently or have already had a knife from me, throw your hat into the ring.

The knife I’m giving away is a vintage fixed-blade made by Martinni of Finland, which was also sold under Normark colours, and is their Deluxe Hunting Knife. It was made in the late 1980’s, but is in mint unused condition. The blade length is 4”, that’s the actual cutting edge. It has a through tang, is very light, feels great in the hand, and I think it’s a very nice knife and a good user. Sorry for the slightly cheesey sheath decoration.

As well as the knife, the winner will get a goody bag, which I’ll put together over the next couple of weeks, with perhaps a few extras being added later too.

This is open to all regular posters here, those whose contributions help to make this forum the great place it is. I’m happy to send the prize anywhere in the world. It’d be nice to see the knife in the EDC thread from time to time, and if you want to send me a coin it’ll be gratefully received.

I’ll be picking the winner by random number generator (unless I come up with a more imaginative random way of drawing it), but I’d like you to post a knife picture – in the style of another regular poster!* Hopefully that will add a bit of fun. Please feel free to post as many times as you like, your entry number will be your first post.

Thanks again folks for everything I’ve learned here, about knives and many other things, and for your generosity of spirit, I feel honoured to be in your company. Thanks also to Frank and Gary for all the work they do, and for their patience. I hope to be here in another 5,000 posts (and I’ll try to be a bit more organised in terms of a giveaway then!) :)

I’m going to have a nice cold beer now (an American IPA), so Cheers! :thumbup:

Jack

Edit - Here's the goody-bag ;)

* - Just to make it clear, pics should be an imitation of anothers posters signature photo style (or one of them), and please say who you're flattering with the imitation :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the landmark old bean!!

I like the idea too....so I shall 'reserve' this post as an entry.....as I know who is like to emulate, but shall have it wait.

HERE WE GO....

Guess who :D

Oh, and that sounds like a reason to crack open a bottle too.....I'll have to make it a Pale Ale by Marstons.

Wassail!

P.s. I baked you a commemorative cake whilst the oven was still warm.....

15DD7B9C-BE24-4E2D-A537-72FAF165514A-3472-0000040250A4FF08_zpsa7811f58.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Jack, and thanks for all you add to this place!

ETA: Sorry, I misunderstood the photo requirements. You can edit your reply Jack to remove my misplaced photo.

Last edited:
Hey Jack, congratulations on your 5,000th post! That's quite a milestone. Thanks for sharing with us your various discoveries, observations, rabbit trails, and, most importantly, edged treasures. Your musings are both interesting and informative. Keep up the good work sir!

ETA: knife content- perspective shot, a poor imitation of Pete's pics.
p1030166h.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the cake pal! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing your pic :thumbup:

Congratulations Jack, and thanks for all you add to this place!

As for a knife picture, I'll post one of the three pocket knives I have had restored with new handles (and some other touch-ups as well). The bottom two were done by BF member glennbad, and the Camillus in the middle was purchased from BF member Vanguard41xx, before being sent to Glenn for restoration. All that to say, I have benefited not just with information and friendship from this forum, but also some excellent knife restoration.

rehandledknivesFeb15b_zps6d8d1d35.jpg

Thanks a lot Doug, I love what you and Glenn have done with the knives. I'm sure we'll be seeing a few imitations of your great photographic style! :)

That's a very lovely knife by the way, but I've recently been on the receiving end of several acts of incredible generosity, so this isn't an entry.

Thank you. Go on, jump in! :)

Just to make it clear, pics should be an imitation of anothers posters signature photo style (or one of them), and please say who you're flattering with the imitation :)

Thank you JACK,,,, Heres one of my old ones that i traded to Duncan (I hope you dont mind Duncan)....A cool giveaway. FES

Thanks a lot Doug, I love what you and Glenn have done with the knives. I'm sure we'll be seeing a few imitations of your great photographic style! :)

But I don't have a blue bird house?

:confused:

:D

Thanks so much for this giveaway, Jack! It's a great knife, and a fun idea. I suspect I might be about to have too much fun....
EvilGrin.gif~original

Here we go.

willgoy:

Jack Black:
IMG_0590.jpg~original

sitflyer with full-sized Case Trapper:
IMG_0595.jpg~original

bwperdue:
IMG_0604.jpg~original

PJake:
IMG_0606.jpg~original

Whoa, that turned out well.

IMG_0607.jpg~original

There might be something to this "cookie sheet" idea. ;)

TLARbb:
IMG_0612.jpg~original

... Hopefully more as we go along.

toast.gif~original

~ P.

Fantastic P! My neighbours must have heard me laughing! :D My, you did those quick, absolutely brilliant! Very well observed :thumbup:

Hope you'll keep 'em coming :)

Haha, those are priceless Sarah. I actually pressed F5 because willgoys picture didn't show before realizing my foolishness :D

Tough assignment from Jack and tough act to follow from P, but it's a cool knife and a great occasion, so "yet will I abide the adventure".
This was an attempt to emulate Rockgolfer- you know how he perches them in front of a majestic vista and gets everything focused and lit.
eDLNmRMG

It doesn't have to be a successful emulation, right?
Did I say Rockgolfer? I meant Doug Add, the way he puts them on something and shoots down. Yeah, that's it.
Congrats on the milestone, Jack, and keep the posts coming. Thanks for the chance at the knife.

Jer

Wow... 5,000 posts, that´s quiete a number. Thanks for your contribution to the forum. I really enjoy reading your threads and posts, my friend.

Not an entry.

That pic is for Carl (jackknife) as he is a fan of Opinel and the Mighty Peanut

Great post, Sarah :)

Fantastic P! My neighbours must have heard me laughing! :D My, you did those quick, absolutely brilliant! Very well observed :thumbup:

Thanks, Jack (and everyone else). I read your challenge, started laughing myself, inspiration struck, and I was off. :D

Hope you'll keep 'em coming :)

Yes. You have created a mon-stah. However, in order not to discourage further entries (and lest this seem like a stacked deck, even though you've said it's a random draw based on one post only), please don't consider me for the actual knife. I'm having enough fun playing. :)

Speaking of which.... Can you guess these? (Names at the bottom.)

BarlowsforContest.jpeg~original

IMG_0618.jpg~original

IMG_0622.jpg~original

IMG_0628.jpg~original

~ P.

(That would be, 1) waynorth; 2) bakerg2g; 3) Zippofan; 4) FES.)

This is GREAT! Sarah, you had me cracking up!

I already have one for this but I will take more if time permits.

Doug Add is wonderfully enjoyable to knock photo critiques back and forth with. I picked up a few things from his style. For the following it was Doug's angle AND Doug's "put it in the sun and show that jigged bone bright" style I attempted to emulate.

Kevin

How can I pass up your cordial invite, Jack!!

I don't think I have to tell - just a hint - one good turn etc. . . . .

photo_zps7b63c9dc.jpg

:D:D:D

this should be obvious ;)

Good one's ~P :D Had me roaring :D

Snuck this sad rendition/homage shot in here...inspiration by ~P...

I have already been the recipient of your generosity but I can't resist tossing my hat in the ring here Jack! But if by some fluke of luck I am chosen, I have already chosen which knife must be passed along to another, and it is definitely NOT the Frost's Mora ;)

Last edited:

RockGolfer

Sometime's I see Jeff find the most mellow light, catching very low reflections, exposing for the steel, on top of some rock and my favorites of Jeff's at some funky angle that makes my head tilt :)

Kevin

Doug Add is wonderfully enjoyable to knock photo critiques back and forth with. I picked up a few things from his style. For the following it was Doug's angle AND Doug's "put it in the sun and show that jigged bone bright" style I attempted to emulate.

Very kind of you to say, Kevin.

Funny thing about this one, is when you originally posted it and referenced the picture of mine that was it's inspiration, I had taken that photo in an attempt to recreate a setting/angle/image I had seen you post weeks before. What goes around comes around!

Here is the 66 moose, which I no longer have, but I still like the picture.

66mooseautumncolors_zps2fb707b0.jpg

Back