My new small Apogee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal

Gold Member
knifeart_1559_750927

Just got this puppy from Knife Art and I LOVE it!!! It only took 17 hours to get here with some free Tuff Cloth and an awesome zipper pouch. The guys at Knife Art are GREAT!

On with the show: I think the overall fit and finish is excellent. The picture is very decieving. The scales are brilliantly colored...beautifiul. The clip is also very nice. My only complaint is when I got it, it wouldn't clip into my pocket. The clip was SOOOOOO tight, that it made it impossible to clip onto anything. I had to take it off and slowly "convince" it to loosen up a bit.
wink.gif
The cross hatched scales beneath the clip are also a little too rough. I can tell that this knife is really gonna be rough on my jeans, but it's a small price to pay to call this baby, "mine."
smile.gif
Feels EXCELLENT in the hand. The lock bar is very nice but is a little harder to disengage than the Sebenza. The edge on this knife is also PERFECT, I love the job Darrel did on it.

For those of you who have been compairing the Sebenza to the Apogee, it really isn't a fair game. The only thing similar is the lock type. So, if you want to compare more integral locks, I'd toss in the Pinnacle and Elishewitz's new mono locks as well. They all really are nice knives. Now, if you still want to compare the Sebenza to the Apogee, here ya go:

Overall comfort: Apogee

Beauty: Apogee, even against some of the decorated Sebenzas.

Blade grind: It's a toss up, though I prefer the Apogee's flat grind and CPM 420V, not like I'll ever use either steels to know the difference.
wink.gif

Lockup: It's a toss up.

Locking mech. Sebenza, the heat treated lock bar face really makes for smoother disengaging.

IMO, the Sebenza, and the Apogee get a 9 1/2. Both offer GREAT customer service and are very friendly. The Sebenza could be avail. in a "med." size. The Apogee could use some work on the clip so it isn't so rough on the pocket. Either way, very small complaints in either case. I'd reccomend both for daily carry. Will this be the "Ulitmate Daily Carry" knife that I've been searching for all this time? Only time will tell. -AR

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to shoot me an email.

Best wishes, -AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

Jackyl-I got my small Apogee almost a month
ago.It's #8 (I think he #ed the first 25)It's a great knife.Mine has gold colored designs at both ends of the scales and you can see a multitude od blue-purple colors at
the cross sections on the handle.I dont have
a clip like yours-I thought with the small size I did'nt need it.Enjoy the knife.The blade should open smoother with more use.

What ROBB said, the more you use it the smoother and faster and easier to disengage it will get. Remember Ti gauls (binds) againsta a disimiliar metal like 420v. I have a large apogee and it is my daily carry even after getting other knives.

------------------
~ JerryO ~

Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum

Hey does anybody else have any comments on the Sebenza vs. Apogee?? I'd like to know if anyone else has any strong comments one way or the other before I drop some large coin.

I am not familiar with the term flat grind vs. hollow grind (?)........

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit. A way of life.

If you still have to ask,
wink.gif
I'd say, go with the Sebenza. You just can't go wrong with one. You're not gonna find strong feelings about one vs. the other I doubt. I prefer my Apogee by a fraction, but I am also getting 2 more Sebenza's in 2 months. Now what does that tell ya? I wouldn't pay any attention to "custom" vs. "production." That's mainly just a "state of mind" when it comes to these 2 knives...or something like that.
wink.gif
I also, wouldn't decide based on their value holding aspects. They'll both hold their value. -AR

------------------

- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

Adam, I hope you hold onto this one. The small is my favorite Apogee, one tough, sleek little knife. I also carry it clipless, often in a suit coat pocket.

The Sebenza vs. Every Other Integral Lock Knife subject will just get worse as more makers use the technique. I got a very nice little integral warncliffe by Fred Durio, very thin handle slabs, almost a liner lock minus the scales. I hope to have an Elishewitz Mono-lock to compare with the others soon, but they are all very different knives, for sure. I am enjoying the development immensely, and look forward to more and more designs offered with this type of lock.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Jackyl, I'm surprised you are that impressed with your Apogee. I just received my Med. Apogee today and I plan to return it. I was very disappointed by the quality of the knife. On my Apogee the blade grind is sloppy at best and the blade (the sharpened part) actually makes contact with the spacer near the end, unacceptable!! I was suprised by such sloppy work by a custom maker. This is a $450 custom knife and I expected it to be at least as good as the Sebenza. To be honest, I've seen production knives with better over all quality. From now on, it's the Sebenza for me. Good Day.

Man, I'm terrible sorry to hear that. Mine doesn't share any of these problems. You're right, that is unacceptable to say the least. Maybe it was one of the first Apogees? Please, keep us informed if you do have it replaced with another, or repaired. Though I doubt that'll happen.
wink.gif
Can't say I blame you. I can't wait to get my 4th. and 5th. Sebenza. -AR

------------------

Bad news: I just slid the Apogee in and out of my pocket 15 times in a new pair of jeans. What happened? Totally ripped out the edge of the pocket. I'm pissed. Anyone wanna trade for an Elishewitz integral mini Specter? -AR

I even bent the clip back so that it juuuust contacts the handle scale. Would be PERFECT if the cross hatches didn't RIP like they do. Dammmit!!! I'd hate to have to send this off already to be modified. Oh well, guess it'll collect dust for a while.

------------------

Jackyl, my Apogee is not a prototype. It's weird but the Apogee I got did not look like the pic of the Apogee where I got it from which is the same place where you got yours.
Another knife that is superior to the Sebenza? What was I thinking?!?!?!
I don't plan to have it repaired, it already cost me enough. I plan to RETURN it.
And you know that the pocket clip is WAY too tight. It's even tighter than the Sebenza's pockent clip. That is a bad thing. Do you really think the Apogee is comparable to the Sebenza? From hands on experience, now I know that nothing compares to the Sebenza, not even so called "custom" knives. Well I hope you enjoy your Apogee and take care.

[This message has been edited by KAJNIN (edited 01 December 1999).]

Foiled by the clip!

I think you should email Larry quick and see if he will trade it in for that Monolock.

You should be happy one way or the other.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

You really think so? Is a clip complaint realy a legit reason? I want the ultimate daily carry. Does anyone know how the grind is on the integral Specter or the Striker? The liner lock Strikers I've seen are waaay too shallow of a grind. The edge is only about as thick as a razor. Have you seen them James? The Striker that Larry has looks like a different grind, more like the Benchmade grind. I wonder about the Specter. Hmmmmmm...it's tempting. I don't know what to do. Modify all my jeans? -AR

------------------

Jackyl
If you want to give me a call I will discuss the clip with you and we will get it modified to your satifaction..on me. I have some other clip designs I have been looking at. 740 965 9970

As for the apogee with the blade grind problem. Please return it to Larry and have him send it to me. I will look at it and correct it as needed. As stated before I am only human NOT A MACHINE.
These knives are hand made.

I dont think there is a custom maker alive that can make a knife as good as reeve without the cnc machine and blade grinders.
This is not a slam on Chris . It is just a fact!
Also How many knives have you lost with untight clips?
I worry about my clients having knives slip out of there pockets.. If any of the clips are to tight I will work with the cleint to have them satisfied ..

Thanks for the input.
------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
Take a look!!!

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 01 December 1999).]

Hey Darrel, my clip isn't too bad, though it could use a 3rd. screw IMO. Also, there isn't really enough room on the flat part of the clip to accommodate the head of the screw. It kinda pinches the clip rather than screwing it down. The trouble I am having, is the cross hatches are ripping whatever they come in contact with. Otherwise, I love this knive. It's a little tough to disengage the lock, but I think that'll smoothen up. I'll see what happens today, then I may give you a call sir. Thanks! -AR

------------------

Jack
Not making excuses but I know why your having problems now. You need the new finish..
If you send me the knife Ill put the new finish and the clip update on for free.
The newer finish will slip into your pocket where some of the early models had a rougher finish and were not scotch brite finished before ano.. If you send it I will take care of the problem and send it right back to ya .. Dont want any more pocket problems..
This knife has evolved with the feedback from clients. I keep making small revisions to make it the best it can be..with your feedback

Thanks

------------------
Take a look!!!

This is the finish you need on yours. It is brighter than it looks here .. Thanks Mike T for the pic... The nugget work is an option :]
mini-apogee-500.jpg

------------------
Take a look!!!

Ahhhhh...that's AWESOME! HOw much is the nugget work again?
wink.gif
Actually we're getting along a little better today. I may just send it to you though. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS KNIFE, but pocket carry is 90% of the usage my knives get.
smile.gif
I'll be in touch. -AR

------------------

I don't mean to be rude Darrel, but what kind of turn around time am I looking at? -AR

------------------

Very nice knife, Jackyl. I was ogling at that picture at Knifeart's site. Patiently awaiting my medium Apogee order.
smile.gif

-Greg

This baby's goin back to Darrel for the clip upgrade, handle finish upgrade, and the "nugget" upgrade of course.
wink.gif

-AR

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back