Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Had more of the usual - hard salami, cheese, carrots, celery. Nice and hopefully healthy morning snack Later I opened a package that had knives inside!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really enjoying all the pictures!

As to using a pocket knife for culinary tasks - I usually do not, but this challenge said one knife for week I thought and food is a lot of what I use knives upon. Plus it's fun.

best

mqqn

2. Hibou Canne

Hibou Canne Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2016
    The locking blade on the 35 is sweeet! i used it to cut Open a package full of silver. HAGD
    [​IMG]

3. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    Day 5. Not a lot of use, but nice in the pocket.
    [​IMG]

4. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Trusty SAK doing its usual great job opening boxes.
    BEFF5056-7A35-45B2-95B7-5C95A70039A8.jpeg

5. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    I'm a one blade fan but that 81 might convert me, those always look just right.

Dschal and chuck4570 like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    More mundane tasks...
    [​IMG]

The patina is piling up, might time for a clean-up
    [​IMG]

I don't particularly like the big, black, splotchy, dirty type of patina.
    But I love the dull grey patina that looks aged and well-worn.
    Just have to keep cleaning it off until it becomes more uniform, then it settles in for good.

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Quite a busy day for me and the Bullnose ;) Started off for an early morning trip to my local market, where each Thursday, a pal of mine runs a second-hand tool stall :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

After lunch, I had to go and pick up some packages, which the Bullnose got to open :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Later, I couldn't find a single piece of cutlery in my kitchen, so the Bullnose had to help out again ;)

[​IMG]

8. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I agree, I have many kitchen/chef/food prep knives and usually don't use my EDC/pocket knife for food prep...just for fun this week!
    This is a set of Gerber blades I found a couple of weeks ago. I love this style of Gerber knives from the '60-'70s. These had the edges badly deteriorated and I've been working on them with the Edge Pro. It is taking a lot of time, but next week I'l be able to see how I like them.
    [​IMG]
    This is the before picture of the edge on the Pixie, paring knife. The little on in the center left.
    [​IMG]
    This is after about an hour, off and on, my old hands and fingers would fail to function properly and I'd have to rest them. Still some to do but I'm going to go with it and work it as the blade dulls.
    [​IMG]

9. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I think I've Flitzed mine at least twice in the past. When I'm out hiking and use the knife for cutting fruit, for example, I tend to wipe the blade off with my bandana. Unfortunately, that can leave streaks in the patina which leave the blade looking like a horizontal bar code :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

10. JonMcD

JonMcD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Thursday planning day for me. Sometimes my brain needs a tech break so I think on paper with some whittled/carved pencils.

Trusty 6235 1/2 for the win.

[​IMG]

11. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    1584049850852926546716.jpg 1584049923225944082349.jpg
    Finally got all the parts I needed to get the 660 together, celebrating with a libation...

12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Took "Bluenose" on a walk this afternoon to show him a place my ebony lamb and I used to walk very often before winter hit.
    Of course, I could not leave my lamb behind so I took both of them along. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Falling behind in this thread, too! :(:eek:
    Wednesday I switched from "cold cereal" for breakfast to oatmeal. I used the Kamp-King to chop fresh broccoli, red bell pepper, ham, apples, grapes, and bananas as some of the oatmeal ingredients. (The scout knife wasn't needed for the peanuts, dark chocolate M&Ms, frozen peas, OJ, and flax seed that also went into the oatmeal "casserole".)
    After breakfast Wednesday, I used the knife to sharpen a golf pencil that goes with my pocket notebook case.
    Wednesday evening, I used the scout to open a bottle of Guinness Draft Stout, and to remove the seal on a new bottle of mouthwash at bedtime.

Today, I had left-over oatmeal for breakfast, and added a few sliced grapes. I dismembered a Pink Lady (apple).
    Early in the afternoon, I used the knife to open a family-sized bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms (I eat 9 of them almost every day at the office). When I got home after work, I chopped up some baby carrots, bell peppers (red, yellow, and green), potato, chicken breast, and baby cucumber for my evening meal (and saved half for Friday evening). I also used the bottle opener on the knife to open another Killians.
    impKK.pile.closed.jpg

- GT

14. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Got a little work out of the Remington, opening up a package that held this Schrade Walden.

[​IMG]

15. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Things I'm learning while limiting myself to one knife for a week.
    a. I don't necessarily need more than one knife to handle my daily cutting & slicing task.
    b. I don't particularly enjoy carrying the same knife for more than a couple days in a row.:D
    leaf - 1.jpeg

16. jnaught

jnaught

Mar 13, 2017
    Refreshed the edges for the last workday. It broke down a number of boxes this evening (did a great job: thin, narrow blades cut!) and needed a few minutes on the stones.
    [​IMG]

17. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I used the trapper to split and butter some (almost warm) cornbread at lunch today.

@sunknife At least you picked a good one to carry for the challenge. :)

I've never been able to carry "just one".
    I always have at least three or four in my pocket, and one or two on my belt.

Even as a youngling in first and second grade, I had at least two in my pocket. (A Scout/Camp/"Demo" knife and a two blade Barlow) That way, on the days the teacher "forgot" her knife and borrowed mine, I still had one to sharpen my pencil ... and maybe the pencil belonging to the (then) cute gal that sat next to me.
    (I don't know if she is still cute. I ain't seen her in going on 60 years now.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    mitch4ging, sunknife, 315 and 9 others like this.
  18. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    This is as culinary as my use of my folders gets - cut the foil cap from the bottle. The Queen 31 did cut some polishing rags from old t-shirts. Most cutting today was with a hatchet in the kindling pile.

[​IMG]

- Stuart

19. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Yesterday i had to use a little on the spot ingenuity to help enlarge a hole i had cut to run wires but i needed to cut a second hole connected to the first but i disnt want to remove the wires i had just run and secured so i whittled this scrap of wood i had in my bag and made this protector. Worked like a charm and the OT was up for the job! 20200312_080533_copy_756x1008.jpg 20200312_080332_copy_756x1008.jpg 20200312_080423_copy_756x1008.jpg

20. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Have you finished watching that Ken Burns Country Music series yet? My wife and I just finished it a couple weeks ago. It had aired one episode a week which we recorded and watched each Saturday morning. Was a very enjoyable documentary series. After eight weeks we were really sad it came to an end :)