Mystery GAW/Challenge

7W2bgdY.jpg
Dennis, you have tiny hands. :D

My brain today...You are done with this Case knife. Go pick up the 86 or the 92 or the Snakewood or the Boker.
My sentiments exactly. I am missing my other knives, specifically my new Moki.

Looks like some BBQ sauce is about to happen! Cool shot, Don!
Thank Dennis
I slice the ginger to eat raw before meals. It's helping my acid reflux immensely.
The garlic is sliced into everything, mostly soup lately. The honey gets spooned into my oatmeal every morning, then on vanilla ice cream each night. The whiskey is a compliment to myself in appropriate doses :thumbsup:. Sometimes it goes into my beer :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I included it in the pic as a nod to Mike as it's distilled in Canada :). But it's also part of my immune-strategy ;) Whiskey has potent antioxidants. Really. Look it up.

Preparing ginger slices

20200312_091303 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

This knife cuts like the Dickens, but I miss my Moki :(
The Spanish navaja is beautiful with her buffalo horn and nickel silver bolsters, and the lock mechanism, called a palanquilla -- a type of lockback in my estimation-- is interesting. However, the knife has no spring. I didn't realize this until acquiring the knife. It's easily pinched open.

l have realized that the lack of a spring is something I dislike. The knife has no walk n talk, or a very limited one. And the palanquilla lever is a bit rough, that is it has some edges that do not feel comfortable in the hand. If I carried it every day, I fear my pocket would be worn with a hole or two.

A pic showing the notch on the blade and the palanquilla lockback lever.

20200312_095013 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

What I have liked about this challenge is discovering the safety pin pocket slip phenomenon :thumbsup:
That's something I'll probably continue doing :)

Stay healthy everyone!
Ginger, garlic, honey and whiskey..... er, Canadian Whiskey ;)
Right Mike?!

My sentiments exactly. I am missing my other knives, specifically my new Moki.

Thank Dennis
I slice the ginger to eat raw before meals. It's helping my acid reflux immensely.
The garlic is sliced into everything, mostly soup lately. The honey gets spooned into my oatmeal every morning, then on vanilla ice cream each night. The whiskey is a compliment to myself in appropriate doses :thumbsup:. Sometimes it goes into my beer :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I included it in the pic as a nod to Mike as it's distilled in Canada :). But it's also part of my immune-strategy ;) Whiskey has potent antioxidants. Really. Look it up.

Preparing ginger slices

20200312_091303 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

This knife cuts like the Dickens, but I miss my Moki :(
The Spanish navaja is beautiful with her buffalo horn and nickel silver bolsters, and the lock mechanism, called a palanquilla -- a type of lockback in my estimation-- is interesting. However, the knife has no spring. I didn't realize this until acquiring the knife. It's easily pinched open.

l have realized that the lack of a spring is something I dislike. The knife has no walk n talk, or a very limited one. And the palanquilla lever is a bit rough, that is it has some edges that do not feel comfortable in the hand. If I carried it every day, I fear my pocket would be worn with a hole or two.

A pic showing the notch on the blade and the palanquilla lockback lever.

20200312_095013 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

What I have liked about this challenge is discovering the safety pin pocket slip phenomenon :thumbsup:
That's something I'll probably continue doing :)

Stay healthy everyone!
Ginger, garlic, honey and whiskey..... er, Canadian Whiskey ;)
Right Mike?!
Interesting thoughts on your navaja. I love the fact that my navaja (pictured below) does not have a spring, and I love the locking system with the palanquilla.
IpFUjiS.jpg

I am not worried about the palanquilla wearing a hole in my pocket because I use either the pouch it came with or a leather pouch I bought from A. G. Russell to carry it in. I almost chose my navaja for the challenge, since I do not carry it often. I think there are two reasons: (1) it is so pretty, and the work of an mature expert cutler -- the navaja seems almost like a ceremonial knife; and (2) the handle, while beautiful, is not the most ergonomically shaped for my hand. I have a number of knives which are more comfortable to hold and use.

So this is Day 4 [Day 6 for me] of the Challenge with my cocobolo Case peanut:
2WB7ABY.jpg

It's a wonderful knife, but I do miss my Laguiole.

In all honesty, I'm more of a Russian vodka, Kentucky bourbon, or Caribbean rum guy
Really... I guess that's why you're the Crazy Canuck!

Interesting thoughts on your navaja. I love the fact that my navaja (pictured below) does not have a spring, and I love the locking system with the palanquilla.
That's great.
We all have our preferences.
One thing we can agree on, Jose' does good work :thumbsup: I'm glad to have experienced the palanquilla mechanism, but it's something I'll pass on in the future.

I don't usually participate in GAWs and only saw this because people were talking about the challenge aspect but after hunting it down to see what's going on it's pretty cool. Keep up the good work guys, I'm too late to join in but will get in the spirit by tucking this guy in my pocket the next few days.
20200312_101557_copy_1143x1365.jpg

Back