Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    That's what I was going to say! Just throw away the core.

meako, JaxBaron and Crazy Canuck like this.
  2. jnaught

jnaught

Mar 13, 2017
    A few tasks from the day: some packaging, fruit, de-burring some pvc. Also rocking the safety-pin trick discussed earlier, *life-changing*.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 17 others like this.
  3. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Open face, tuna salad sammich for a late lunch. I can't remember the last time I used a can opener on a knife...probably 60+ years ago in scouts. Like riding a bike, comes right back and the SAK did a yeoman's job! Cut the sammich with gusto! Yum!:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, cigarrodog, meako and 20 others like this.
  4. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    My Challenge carry, a Queen #31 congress (1961-1971), needed a friend for the day, so I toted this Opinel No. 8 (late 70's) in my other pocket. I've noticed several other Opinels being toted, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

5. JonMcD

JonMcD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Today’s slicy activities.
    - repetitious opening and closing
    - fidgeting
    - fingernail maintenance (pen blade only)
    - apple slicing
    - keeping my beer company
    - more obsessive opening and closing

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, cigarrodog, meako and 18 others like this.
  6. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Opinel is one of my favorites. Don't really need anything else. But the Laguioles are prettier!

meako, gaj999, chuck4570 and 3 others like this.
  7. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Took this pic when I arrived at the shop this morning, wet day here. Didn't think to get any knife in action shots today although they would not have been to exciting. Cut some sheet plastic and sliced an apple. Looks like were having pizza later so I'll slice that sucker up with the RR. RR copperhead 22 - 1.jpeg

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 17 others like this.
  8. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Nothing exciting today, just a trip to the Doc, but it carries very well, which I've forgotten about.
    [​IMG]

9. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ripe-pear duty and cut off a hunk of brie for one of my favorite snacks.

[​IMG]
    Although the Forum Knife has a fairly thick blade, it worked well for the ripe pear, which are not as crispy as apples. Tomorrow's afternoon snack will be a crisp apple and some white cheddar.
    Dinner might be some spam, but that fancy albacore tuna picture has me thinking a tuna salad sandwich!
    best

mqqn

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 15 others like this.
  10. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Yep and yes; I agree with both, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I plan to hold off on beauty to join my Queen #31 challenge pick until the weekend when the challenge gets harder. Pulling a pretty pair together is fairly easy, but what's the challenge in that?

[​IMG]

- Stuart

11. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Two beauties there!

mqqn, Duckdog and chuck4570 like this.
  12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Took "Bluenose " for a walk along the town's water front and little marina.

Temps have been above freezing during the day for a few days now :thumbsup:
    One dude was sitting on a bucket on the " I am sure by now much thinner ice" doing some ice fishing. Open water is not far away :eek:

Then some teenagers show up, one of them in shorts, t-shirt and skateboard while his friends start walking on the ice as well. :eek::eek::eek:

Crazy canucks man .... I am telling you .... there's some craaazy canucks out there :D:D:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, cigarrodog, meako and 22 others like this.
  13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    You'll all have to be satisfied with vivid word pictures from me; my photo routine is too slow to do daily shots of my knife in action. :rolleyes:
    impKK.mark.closed.jpg

My Kamp-King cut up an apple before breakfast this morning; 2/3 of it went into my lunch container, 1/3 was diced up to put on my breakfast cereal. The knife also sliced some green and some red seedless grapes and half a banana for my cereal. I also ate half a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast dessert (I had the other half at breakfast yesterday), and used my Kamp-King to cut it into bite-sized pieces. I wanted to include a clementine in my lunch, and had to open a new net bag; I'm sure you can guess who helped me with that!

During the day, I noticed that the tip of the knife's main blade was slightly proud. Being an avid Blade Forums reader, I realized that filing the kick might help. I worked on it with a little diamond file I had on my desk, checked the state of the tip frequently (as the experts always recommend), and seemed to be getting nowhere. After much inexpert study of the knife, I decided the tip might actually be proud because the belly of the blade might touch the spring before the tip can settle below the liners. Live and learn (maybe :rolleyes:).

I had some apple and grapes from my lunch remaining when I got home, so I sliced the left-over grapes and diced the left-over apple section to put into a fruit-and-vegetable salad. I also diced up a slice of ham to include in the salad. One final task for the Imperial scout today was using its bottle opener to open a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout; worked flawlessly, first try!

- GT

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 14 others like this.
  14. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    1583799764807740835889.jpg
    Spent most of the day in the shop with a dead phone... Used my Barlow to open a new helicoil kit and a piston for a top end rebuild of a Stihl 660. Here getting a light touch up while watching Star wars rebels.

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 13 others like this.
  15. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Now I readily admit, I could’ve torn the package open these books came in, but where’s the fun in that!!!???

[​IMG]

cigarrodog, meako, gaj999 and 14 others like this.
  16. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Fat fingered

17. Neko2

Jul 18, 2003
    Ooh, the Case Seahorse is one of my favorites and the color of the bone and XX shield and bolster really look great on that one.

JaxBaron likes this.
  18. Neko2

Jul 18, 2003
    Ok, my turn.

Here's my sort of rehabbed Schrade red headed stepchild chilling out with me at work.
    20200309_131517.jpg

And here it is doing a thing!
    That radish didn't even know what hit it.
    20200309_131558.jpg

I sharpened the holy heck out of the blades and the main blade is a touch wobbly when put away but I'm having a good time getting to know it again.

Thanks for the fun kick in the pants!

19. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    In keeping with the food prep theme, cut some potatoes, onion and left over sausage for the frying pan.

RIMG2039.JPG RIMG2040.JPG

20. Duckdog

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, Vince. Now you're making me blush.
    - Stuart

Prester John likes this.