1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Nepalese earthquake relief fundraiser. Every little bit helps.

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by cul4u01, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Kevin, I think its a great idea! check out this thread.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...uake-relief-fundraiser-Every-little-bit-helps

Someone was wanting to do something similar here and has been redirected accordingly. Probably more info here or in the forum rulebook than I can tell you but hope this helps.

2. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Thank you Ted. Ive see some do that but great idea for times like now:thumbup:

3. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I thought an auction was OK but I got a plumb short memory.

4. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Me to, but I bet Karda will be by to clarify.

5. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    There are lots of ways to help, and quite a few people on this forum who want to help. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. As Yangdu already said, the best thing is to send money, if you have it to send. Nepal is experiencing a nationwide catastrophe, and even HI people who are not themselves injured are caught up in the devastation affecting their families, friends and local communities. People will need help to find housing and to pay for the essentials of life. The ability to make knives will be important, but in the immediate coming days, weeks and maybe months, the ability to survive will be paramount, for HI workers like everyone else in Nepal.

2. Many of us have knives that can be sold to raise money. If each individual conducts a personal raffle or auction (assuming that the forum rules allow it), this can become very confusing even with the best of intentions. Some have already sold knives on the Bladeforums Exchange, with the proceeds going to Yangdu for earthquake relief. That is helpful.

3. However, I think it might be best if people ship those knives to Yangdu and let her sell them for earthquake relief. She is better situated to price and sell these knives than most individuals. Also, it will help HI to continue as a business selling knives in the coming weeks and months when shipments from Nepal might dry up completely. The more dedicated forumites will no doubt stay with HI even through an extended dry spell, but there are also many potential customers who might drift away if Yangdu does not have knives to sell, so sending your "extras" to her might be better than trying to sell them yourself.

That's just a thought. Obviously any way that people can help is appreciated.

-- Dave

6. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Agreed. very good points, and makes a lot of common sense. Thanks

7. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    DELETED: Better idea than what I posted over in the Cantina...

Alan

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  8. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Excellent points Dave... I was thinking raffle, but didnt consider just sending donated khuks to Yangdu to keep her supply up.

9. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Thank You, alexanderkbaker, for the kind gesture of help. Unfortunately, the bladeforum sites rules here prohibit auctions of any kind and sales by those without a gold membership or higher. We also cannot allow sales by the membership in this subforum. I will have to edit your posts. I am sorry.

Those wishing to help by offering items from their collections can either post them for sale in the Exchange forum, or mail these items to Auntie Yangdu for Resale. Perhaps if there are some particularly collectible items, a raffle could be organized, but those are a lot of work.

10. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    I donated via the PayPal gift option so Yangdu pays no fees.

11. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    I think dave has a wonderful point for those of us with large collections, I will be offering mine to HI if it is in need, I would sell every single blade I own to keep them alive.

12. Itsasportsbar

Itsasportsbar

Aug 1, 2013
    I just made a donation to Auntie via PayPay gift.

Ken Krol

13. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    I think that cash gifts are probably the best thing we could all do at this point. I just sent a cash gift to Auntie via paypal.

14. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I agree!

And where you been Bob, been kind of quiet lately.

15. FAL FORGE

FAL FORGE

May 19, 2013
    PayPal gift option on pay day.

16. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    The kindness of you fine folks moves me. You are incredible beings. :)

17. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Our sheath maker Pralad and shop guard/driver Rajandra's house collapsed and now they are staying in the tent until we find them a place.
    I want to thank you all for Earthquake contribution to our Kamis and shop

18. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    It pains me I didn't have yet the possibility to contribute. I certainly will, come next week.

19. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders

Aug 18, 2003
    Thank you Auntie Yangdu, for the continued updates.

20. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Last weekend Sunday Lama Jigme, our family and friends together did special prayers and puja for the people of Nepal who lost their life from Earthquake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]