Never Fear, The Northwoods Zulu Spear is Here!

Am I the only one suspiciously staring at the thumbnail with the green giraffe bone?

Am I the only one suspiciously staring at the thumbnail with the green giraffe bone?

lol, no, me too. I wonder if some more will pop up tomorrow.... along with the stag.

nw-giraffe-cat-8689__57806.jpg

Yep, I had to snag one up too!! :D

Derrick, since we know what it is now, what other cover materials will be available??

Edit: Never-mind - your video answered my question! (micarta, camel, stag & giraffe bone).

GEC-Micarta-8551__35012.1463420688.1280.1280.jpg

Man, that's a good looking knife. Derrick wasn't kidding, though. Went quick, and I missed it. :(

but two micartas? ebony would have sold just as well as black micarta.

Agreed. Ebony would have been awesome. I'd be even more upset had I missed out on that than the black micarta. Not much else that appeals to me; some of the darker giraffe bone examples look pretty nice, and mammoth ivory is good-looking but too pricey for me, but the camel bone never did much for my taste, nor does the denim micarta. Oh well, money I didn't need to spend anyways. :D

I couldn't resist and bought 4:
Black Linen Micarta
Denim Micarta
2 Giraffe bones

I scored the thumbnail photo'd Giraffe thanks to a great friend of mine...thanks again City74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't resist and bought 4:
Black Linen Micarta
Denim Micarta
2 Giraffe bones

I scored the thumbnail photo'd Giraffe thanks to a great friend of mine...thanks again City74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the score.

I was hoping those just hadn't been posted yet.

Gary Graley started a post awhile back that asked, "If money wasn't an issue...what Traditional knife would you want to get?" If you want to see some real nice knives check it out at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...uld-you-want-to-get?highlight=money+no+object

This was how I answered Gary's question then...

...now there's a Northwoods version available at KSF. It's like an offer that can't be refused. :eek::eek::)

Last edited:
Nice looking knives. To my knowledge, it is the first GEC remake of an original Tony Bose pattern. Similar knives with drop point or spear blades are much older but I think Tony may have been the first to make a single blade Zulu. The old Schrade knives with Zulu blades were 2 blade jacks.

These look very nice, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Knivesshipfree has a ridiculously high charge for international shipping, the knives themselves are very highly priced, and the whole concept of GEC producing nicer quality knives under a different label to be sold in a 'lolly scramble' a bit annoying.

But nice knives, gotta admit that.

Last edited:
.....and the whole concept of GEC producing nicer quality knives under a different label to be sold in a 'lolly scramble' is just really annoying, to a big knife and GEC fan.

I had to quote this; first for the content and second for 'lolly scramble'. This evokes hilarious memories of vicious elbows in the ribs and much pushing, shoving, and kicking of shins and ankles whilst in a *ahem* queue at the icecream van :)

These look very nice, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Knivesshipfree has a ridiculously high charge for international shipping, the knives themselves are very highly priced, and the whole concept of GEC producing nicer quality knives under a different label to be sold in a 'lolly scramble' a bit annoying.

But nice knives, gotta admit that.

Don't really know why GEC's marketing philosophy would be "annoying"? It's really kind of a "traditional" marketing strategy for collectibles with the twist of the "dealer exclusive" having a different "manufacturer's" name on the product.

Well you can always buy the Case version in the after market which will have a premium steel and a stainless frame. Mine's in ebony :) I got it new and haven't really seen the need for another slipjoint since. It's a great pattern.

So I knee jerk ordered my camel bone before watching the video to find out about the giraffe bone. I ALSO ordered a giraffe bone in the hopes of cancelling my camel order, or having to simply pass it on secondary market.

My Giraffe bone here since all the photos will be gone from KSF soon. Jason really does an excellent job photographing each individual knife for us. I also enjoy taking photos, so that has got to be a sweet gig to be able to fondle and photograph every single knife that goes through KSF.

NW-Giraffe-Front-8714__80152.1463438585.1280.1280.jpg

...the whole concept of GEC producing nicer quality knives under a different label... /QUOTE]

Are they supposed to be produced to a higher level of quality than a standard GEC? I've owned three and they've all seemed to have the standard GEC finish. That is to say, not perfect but very high quality.
This model, while interesting, doesn't really do it for me. My interests have shifted to multi-bladed and stainless. Perhaps that's why it seems a very pricey knife compared to previous runs.
However, I'm glad the Northwoods brand has been elevated to the point where they can sell a single bladed jack in camel bone and 1095 for roughly the same price as a stockman in stag and 154cm. It shows the level of appreciation people have for KSF/GEC, both of which are fine companies.

Are they supposed to be produced to a higher level of quality than a standard GEC? I've owned three and they've all seemed to have the standard GEC finish. That is to say, not perfect but very high quality.
This model, while interesting, doesn't really do it for me. My interests have shifted to multi-bladed and stainless. Perhaps that's why it seems a very pricey knife compared to previous runs.
However, I'm glad the Northwoods brand has been elevated to the point where they can sell a single bladed jack in camel bone and 1095 for roughly the same price as a stockman in stag and 154cm. It shows the level of appreciation people have for KSF/GEC, both of which are fine companies.

I would agree that overall construction does not strike me as any better than typical GEC offerings. I do think that KSF tends to bring more unique or premium cover materials to their orders, and of course there is a degree exclusivity to be considered. I wish that they did not include the slips and could cut $10-$20 off the prices, as once you have a couple of the slips having more is not really helpful.

Back