New Buck Made Remington's?

How about a box of them? :D

bullet-knife.jpg
That's it! Lol. :D

The two that Buck has made and called "Bullet Knives" don't look like any Bullet knives that I remember.

I'll wait for the REAL Bullet Knives.......the memorable classics.

Blades should be stamped rather than "etched" (or whatever the cheap process they're now using is called).

Why do I get the impression that Buck is going do the Remington thing cheap rather than right?

I'm sure the quality will be there, but if they don't look like the original Bullet Knives......what's the point?

I have 2016 and 2017 bullet knives. They are made the same way, etched Remington logo on the blade, round Remington stamp on the tang. From what I can see if Remington bullet knives had a stamped logo on the blade it wasn't recent.

O.B.

I have 2016 and 2017 bullet knives. They are made the same way, etched Remington logo on the blade, round Remington stamp on the tang. From what I can see if Remington bullet knives had a stamped logo on the blade it wasn't recent.

O.B.
OB,

Can you post a photo of your 2016 & 2017 Remington Bullet knives for the tread? I'm just curious to know what the last few years knife style was!
Thanks
JB

look good but expensive. im passing. rather just have a buck labeled buck.

O.B.

Right.

Remington has been putting out crap for years.......but not on 500 patterns.

Now Buck has joined in the silly.

Go figure......they must have thought it would make enough money to cover the shame.

I think you missing the obvious. Buck is building knives for Remington. It's Remington that wants people to buy them. If Buck makes 1,000,000 knives for Remington and no one buys them that's on Remington. Buck, as the subcontractor still gets paid.

Folks act like these are Buck knives being made. They aren't. They're Remington knives made by Buck. Complain to Remington.

Remington has struggled to find a subcontractor since Camillus went bankrupt in 2007.
They've tried Bear and Son. They've tried Chinese subcontractors. Apparently they've not been happy with either.

A big part of the issue is, "who owns the tooling?" I know that Camillus owned the tooling for the knives they made for Buck such as the 307. I suspect they also owned the tooling to make the Remington knives. I know that Bear and Son bought a lot of Camillus tooling at the bankruptcy sale. So it's likely that Bear and Son had tooling to make traditional patterns for Remington, maybe even some of the patterns that Camillus made for them.

If Remington has no has no tooling to go along with their name, then someone has to figure out who is going to pay for new tooling. Tooling is friggin' expensive to engineer and produce. Buck has the 500 tooling. Remington has the name. So "Voila" Remington 500s.

If these don't sell, hopefully Remington will figure out that they gotta have tooling to make their knives. Not sure that they will figure it out, but REMINGTON is in the driver's seat. They have to make the call.

Remington has struggled to find a subcontractor since Camillus went bankrupt in 2007.
They've tried Bear and Son. They've tried Chinese subcontractors. Apparently they've not been happy with either.

A big part of the issue is, "who owns the tooling?" I know that Camillus owned the tooling for the knives they made for Buck such as the 307. I suspect they also owned the tooling to make the Remington knives. I know that Bear and Son bought a lot of Camillus tooling at the bankruptcy sale. So it's likely that Bear and Son had tooling to make traditional patterns for Remington, maybe even some of the patterns that Camillus made for them.

If Remington has no has no tooling to go along with their name, then someone has to figure out who is going to pay for new tooling. Tooling is friggin' expensive to engineer and produce. Buck has the 500 tooling. Remington has the name. So "Voila" Remington 500s.

If these don't sell, hopefully Remington will figure out that they gotta have tooling to make their knives. Not sure that they will figure it out, but REMINGTON is in the driver's seat. They have to make the call.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
No tooling equals no Remington designs, I doubt the freedom group will want to acquire the tooling anyways.

OB,

Can you post a photo of your 2016 & 2017 Remington Bullet knives for the tread? I'm just curious to know what the last few years knife style was!
Thanks
JB
I'm a little hesitant to post pictures of non buck knives in the buck knife forum, but here is one. If you want to see more, go look under Remington at some of the large online knife retailers. Some have quite a few back years still for sale.

T0o-5LhClQ22GmutJYX08uYgARwGP6LWNcbgM8G2gP9QlMfXq1L_as09VzSwmKbvZjMn_-Ih8bT7n8kYL97VpLaQDyIHmvf42AQmhtWhILFwNwDwcD8H7GZS89NkdFpaLUTTsB0FjXAeVo1CPsPbK6EVbD4EZtTfZga7HhERwdv1PfvqYqAN7OFYEKGIRtolwlttIHInyTQjazDfVsBwdJUeguHGxZQVprBiLbWaffzjEK_p8lBQO_2-q9jl1tOYAMKsQlbL0Oszn8zE7zLmpQTqeGJpff5COrbjWQrMu6TT_HUans5kQhNABmoV7rEwwBQFRIh32QNCN0cprtssJ7ClI10-N51sxmMWxJB6feiAEKdg_UNrYO41gY8fQYrU5S8yBEbk_CMeH1b0BI1luPhcyEKpn7cwatQ8dA9pUqzCrANE7fWBVe5hwBRb8DBY3Or_-oxRNCnN2ZTvbWneu5l6tYjW7hSGNQQh1IknFzrtzlf32vn3vj50pfpIDVqN9_xdeHpUEkHxVDNQE6ssPdWa2QDiHzFslwxiSMDAasUBlnqsCyt_XT08DPq4eqYPZm8OBrWams8KfMHydJvbqqJxEEs1TES-Tf3kat4aX8bqcqLELeNH-VyP8KOFnvJoi-KZjtJgIyRc6UafJj-vF_Cesa7wNCjm=w600

O.B.

The 500 is a fantastic knife! These are two fantastic American companies working together! This is a great first effort!

I really can't believe what I read here sometimes. This is good, not bad. We should be happy, not sad.

timthumb.php

timthumb.php
Agreed, 500 is a great knife.

The two that Buck has made and called "Bullet Knives" don't look like any Bullet knives that I remember.

I'll wait for the REAL Bullet Knives.......the memorable classics.

Blades should be stamped rather than "etched" (or whatever the cheap process they're now using is called).

Why do I get the impression that Buck is going do the Remington thing cheap rather than right?

I'm sure the quality will be there, but if they don't look like the original Bullet Knives......what's the point?

I don't understand why an etched blade is cheap and a stamped blade considered better. No negativity on this. No reason to out-think what Buck should be doing. They are not amateurs in the knife business. Remington had the final say I suppose on these knives not Buck. These will be sold where Remington knives are sold.
Just another choice we have. I'm sure they will sell well in sporting good stores all over the place. Imagine what a Cabelas or Wal-Mart order would look like.
Remington is talking advantage of a great knife to put their name on it.

I'm a little hesitant to post pictures of non buck knives in the buck knife forum, but here is one. If you want to see more, go look under Remington at some of the large online knife retailers. Some have quite a few back years still for sale.

T0o-5LhClQ22GmutJYX08uYgARwGP6LWNcbgM8G2gP9QlMfXq1L_as09VzSwmKbvZjMn_-Ih8bT7n8kYL97VpLaQDyIHmvf42AQmhtWhILFwNwDwcD8H7GZS89NkdFpaLUTTsB0FjXAeVo1CPsPbK6EVbD4EZtTfZga7HhERwdv1PfvqYqAN7OFYEKGIRtolwlttIHInyTQjazDfVsBwdJUeguHGxZQVprBiLbWaffzjEK_p8lBQO_2-q9jl1tOYAMKsQlbL0Oszn8zE7zLmpQTqeGJpff5COrbjWQrMu6TT_HUans5kQhNABmoV7rEwwBQFRIh32QNCN0cprtssJ7ClI10-N51sxmMWxJB6feiAEKdg_UNrYO41gY8fQYrU5S8yBEbk_CMeH1b0BI1luPhcyEKpn7cwatQ8dA9pUqzCrANE7fWBVe5hwBRb8DBY3Or_-oxRNCnN2ZTvbWneu5l6tYjW7hSGNQQh1IknFzrtzlf32vn3vj50pfpIDVqN9_xdeHpUEkHxVDNQE6ssPdWa2QDiHzFslwxiSMDAasUBlnqsCyt_XT08DPq4eqYPZm8OBrWams8KfMHydJvbqqJxEEs1TES-Tf3kat4aX8bqcqLELeNH-VyP8KOFnvJoi-KZjtJgIyRc6UafJj-vF_Cesa7wNCjm=w600

O.B.

Hi OB,

Thank you for adding the old Rem Bullet knife photos (I knew they would not be Buck's) just wanted to see what all the fuss was about the knife pattern Rem/Buck were going to use. I also took your advice and looked at a large knife retailer and found there were at least 10+ different Rem Bullet patterns currently for sale. Not all of them were Trapper style patterns, but they all sport a Bullet inlay. Thank you again.

JB

The 500 is a fantastic knife! These are two fantastic American companies working together! This is a great first effort!

I really can't believe what I read here sometimes. This is good, not bad. We should be happy, not sad.

timthumb.php

timthumb.php
I like those!

timthumb.php

timthumb.php
I agree it's a fantastic knife. It's just that myself and a believe a lot of other folks were wanting to see some established Remington patterns being brought back and made by Buck and not a standard Buck model with some Remington attributes added. As others have stated it's still early so I have hope that will still come to pass.

Not a perfect example but bear with me. Imagine Randall contracting Buck to make their knives and the outcome is a Buck 124 with Randall stamped on the blade with a leather handle. It may say Randall but that's the only thing Randall about it.

Last edited:
I agree it's a fantastic knife. It's just that myself and a believe a lot of other folks were wanting to see some established Remington patterns being brought back and made by Buck and not a standard Buck model with some Remington attributes added. As others have stated it's still early so I have hope that will still come to pass.

Not a perfect example but bear with me. Imagine Randall contracting Buck to make their knives and the outcome is a Buck 124 with Randall stamped on the blade with a leather handle. It may say Randall but that's the only thing Randall about it.

Exactly. Makes no sense.

Whole thing is disingenuous and illogical. Why would I want a Buck knife with a cheap Remington etch on it? What good is it? What does it mean? Well, a whole lot of nothing.

I can see why a collector of Buck 500s would want these......they're nice and they're oddities, so that's fun.

I'll wait. Maybe they'll get their tooling problems figured out and we'll see the old Remington patterns replicated by Buck.

If not, most will spend their money elsewhere.

the etch aint so bad. bob loveless used to say he only acid etched his blades as he felt the stamp degraded the steel. now new steels and better heat treats likely that isnt an issue anymore if it ever was...what do i know im no knifemaker.

the etch aint so bad. bob loveless used to say he only acid etched his blades as he felt the stamp degraded the steel. now new steels and better heat treats likely that isnt an issue anymore if it ever was...what do i know im no knifemaker.

It's just cheaper to etch everything, but I think it looks crappy as compared to a good clean tang stamp.

The "Bos S30V" etching on the other side of the tang is just perfect for fakers to copy and then sell 420HC knives as S30V.

You can easily and cheaply counterfeit etches......not so easy with real letters stamped into the steel.

So, I don't like etches. Looks like we're gonna get more and more etches, though. Cheap beats tradition and quality every time in the modern manufacturing world.

Back